Sign in to follow this  
Halon

Scripted vs Career Campaigns

I recently bought the Ice Ring scripted campaign and have to say I have been really impressed. The airfields, battlefields and airspace feels much more alive than the Career. I understand the reasons for this, by its very nature a scripted mission is always going to be a more hand crafted experience with extra detail and timing. But with that said I wonder how much scope there is to flesh out the career missions? Making the airfields busier, seeing more flights in the air and more ground conflict on the front line?

I imagine this could be scalable in the way it is already with some assets, to keep things flexible. Ground conflict could be creatively represented with art assets, in much the same way as the explosions across Stalingrad and no-mans-land. I'm certainly not asking for every tank, truck, gun emplacement and bullet to be rendered in glorious 3D.

Posted (edited)

Regarding the busier airfields:

I think it's very doable albeit a bit involved in the sense that it would take a person to do it by hand instead of writing code to come up with it.

I think they would have to create hand crafted airfields for the entire map, then save them as individual groups per airfield and country, and then include those groups as part of the campaign mission generation process.

I'm sure there is more to it but at a high level it's quite achievable in my opinion.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

Monkey has it correct.

The problem is adding these groups to every airfield on every map. Further they would need to be randomized so that it’s not always the same vehicle in the same spot at a given airfield etc.

Not difficult per se but hugely time consuming. I’ve built randomized vehicle groups for a few bases - it takes a bit.