It's a dream for IL-2's Lead Producer, Jason Williams, to take the sim to the Pacific and introduce some of the iconic aircraft of that theatre. It is, however, a challenge for the team to do aircraft at the fidelity that we've come to expect as resources for Japanese aircraft are hard.

You can see Jason's comments here.

If they do content in the Pacific, it's not likely to be Pearl Harbour. Aside from a few isolated dogfights, there was little in the way of US aerial opposition (the few that happened are of course enshrined in legend). The Battles of Coral Sea and Midway are very interesting as is Guadalcanal and the campaign up The Slot as is the whole battle for New Guinea. There's lots of content possible if aircraft resources can be sorted out!

• Like 2

A Midway/Coral Sea/Guadalcanal module would be amazing, and the way to go.  On the larger scale, hardly anyone knows about or gives a damn about New Guinea; but everyone has heard of Midway.

Do New Guinea afterwards though.

6 minutes ago, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

A Midway/Coral Sea/Guadalcanal module would be amazing, and the way to go.  On the larger scale, hardly anyone knows about or gives a damn about New Guinea; but everyone has heard of Midway.

Do New Guinea afterwards though.

Each to their own, I would love to see a mid-war New Guinea first with a cracking planeset... I would want to see P-40b of The Flying Tigers, SpitfireVc, Ki-43 Hayabusa, A6M3 or A6M5 Zero just for starters.

No need to tie up masses of developer resources to model and create a Carrier Fleet, with Frigates, Destroyers with their AA, Cruisers with tons of AA, Battleships+++AA and Aircraft Carriers. It would also need a lot of processing power from your system. Leave that for a different BoX

Cheers

Algy-Lacey

Pearl Harbour would probably be added as a Collector map.

Pearl Harbor and The Battle of Midway were 1 day events from my understanding....

Guadalcanal however is more promising. Because of it's length and scope and it's importance in the Pacific front

(A major turning point against the Japanese after Midway).

• Upvote 1

~2 years of development so we can have one battle that lasted for an hour 😄 As a collector map after Battle of Guadalcanal or whatever they choose, why not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cripplehawk said:

Pearl Harbor and The Battle of Midway were 1 day events from my understanding....

Guadalcanal however is more promising. Because of it's length and scope and it's importance in the Pacific front

(A major turning point against the Japanese after Midway).

My guess is that their plan with IL-2: Battle of Midway would have been to cover the range from Coral Sea to the start of the Guadalcanal campaign. Same aircraft, same ships (mostly), etc. Just as Battle of Bodenplatte has a focus around the Bodenplatte scenario but isn't specifically just about 1 day I can see the same for a title like Midway.

• Upvote 2

But I want the full nelson:

A Ben Afflek pilot-model in a hula shirt, Kate Beckinsale shooting champagne-corks in a nurse-outfit and doing lots hommage'ing Alec Baldwin down main street Honolulu during the campaign...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I have said it before, but I'm really hoping for New Guinea, for several reasons.

First, I really like the Japanese Army aircraft.  The Ki61 is my precious...  It also gives the USAAF a reason for being in the Pacific.  Contrary to what most people think, not every battle hinged on blue painted Grummans fighting against Zekes and Vals.

Second, it spans a very long time frame and would give the single player side a vast canvas for campaigns that involve not only the US and Japan, but also Australia and New Zealand's air forces.

Third, and certainly not last...  It was a very important battle that is often overlooked, especially by my countrymen.  It is the air campaign that broke the back of the Imperial Japanese Army Air Corps.  Half of the IJAAC's experienced combat pilots were lost over the jungles of New Guinea.  Half.  Let that sink in.

And as an afterthought, it would let me use my old sig again...

elskiubikb4.jpg

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I can take off from land bases and look at water all day long at Kuban.

Naval combat actually moves the sim forward; and again, nobody gives a damn about New Guinea.  It's "overlooked" for a reason.

I'd like to see the sim sell to more than just our little community.

Edited by US63_SpadLivesMatter

4 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I have said it before, but I'm really hoping for New Guinea, for several reasons.

First, I really like the Japanese Army aircraft.  The Ki61 is my precious...  It also gives the USAAF a reason for being in the Pacific.  Contrary to what most people think, not every battle hinged on blue painted Grummans fighting against Zekes and Vals.

Second, it spans a very long time frame and would give the single player side a vast canvas for campaigns that involve not only the US and Japan, but also Australia and New Zealand's air forces.

Third, and certainly not last...  It was a very important battle that is often overlooked, especially by my countrymen.  it is the air campaign that broke the back of the Imperial Japanese Army Air Corps.  Half of the IJAAF's experienced combat pilots were lost over the jungles of New Guinea.  Half.  Let that sink in.

THIS.

IMHO a Pacific carrier module is a bridge too far.  Too much new stuff all at once.  It would be very high risk with many sources of possible delay.  Create a land based scenario first to get some Japanese and USN aircraft under the belt, then go for carrier ops.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

I can take off from land bases and look at water all day long at Kuban.

Naval combat actually moves the sim forward.

New Guinea would not exclude carrier operations, especially in the early part of the war, what it would do is keep the numbers of types of ships that would have to be made to a minimum, which will mean that it's actually possible to go to the Pacific at all...

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

New Guinea would not exclude carrier operations, especially in the early part of the war, what it would do is keep the numbers of types of ships that would have to be made to a minimum, which will mean that it's actually possible to go to the Pacific at all...

Screw that.  Go big or go home.  Let them really focus efforts on getting the naval side right.  This team can do it.

Otherwise you know what will really happen.  Same as happened to the naval side of Kuban; and that didn't even have carriers to worry about.

Also, it's great to see another fan of the k161.  I love that plane.  But after thousands of hours in the air, I'd like to see the actual gameplay step forward into something new.  Maybe New Guinea would give us a chance to set some oil fields alight, but I'm worried it will be the same old targets, same old tactics.

Edited by US63_SpadLivesMatter
  • Upvote 1

Screw that.  Go big or go home.  Let them really focus efforts on getting the naval side right.  This team can do it.

Otherwise you know what will really happen.  Same as happened to the naval side of Kuban; and that didn't even have carriers to worry about.

These guys have a business to run, and my suspicion is that there is not a large margin for error.  Take on Japanese aircraft (not done before), USN aircraft(not done before), carrier ops (not done before), supporting naval ops (not done before) all to create a product that has a campaign spanning four days.  Very, very, high risk, with failure possibly meaning closing shop.

As a developer that is not how I would do it.  Any land based Pacific module is going to give you Japanese planes, and probably at least the Zero on the Navy side.  You might do the first module without USN planes.  New Guinea.  Then you do a second land based module with USN planes. Guadalcanal.  Now you have some USN and IJN planes, now make a carrier ops module that could also be used to enhance the land based modules.

The idea that putting pressure on people forces them to do better is, in the long term, a fallacy.  What it does is make them take short cuts and produce an inferior product.  Great Battles software is not one and done.  it has been a continuous progression for 10 years.  In the short term rushed work might produce a result, but in the long run it is disastrous (look up the phrase technical debt).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

And that's why we'll never see the Pacific in this sim.

This team produces pretty much on major module a year, so yes, it might be awhile.  The are locked into BoN for the next year, so there wont be serious talk of "what's next" until well into 2021.  They could go Battle of Britain, North Africa, Malta, Italy, Russia 1944 just to name some if they wanted to stay in the west.  If they do that then we're into 2022.  Or they could turn to the Pacific, which they might because the well is starting to run dry in Europe.  Other than BoB it is MHO that the others that I mentioned are even more nichy (I made that word up)  than usual.

All I was suggesting was that risk mitigation is a thing when your business depends on it.  Bethesda made enough off of Skyrim to fund a decade of (largely failed to date) development.  I don't think 1C has that luxury.   Too much of a niche market.  Really, how many people really want to play a game where they have to monitor ATA and RPM?  Most would rather mash the left mouse button and swing a sword (which honestly I like doing as well as long as there is a good story behind it).

Anyhow, this is all just fun speculation and a way to get opinions out there.  BoN is next and while I am sure that Jason and company are thinking beyond that.  It's going to be one step at a time.  Everything should be all done by the time I retire.

In all honesty, the Pacific is a pipe dream that will absolutely require an all new game engine to pull off if you want to do naval combat any justice at all.

It's a simple fact that the AI anti aircraft gunners on one USN light cruiser would bring this engine to it's knees.  Now add two more, plus another 5 or 6 destroyers, a fast battleship, and the aa guns on the carrier itself, not even counting the numbers of aircraft in the air, and it's obvious to anyone that looks at this with a realistic eye, that we are a very long way from being able to do a sim based on carrier task force actions.

It would be cool, but I just don't see it happening in my lifetime.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

And that's why we'll never see the Pacific in this sim.

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

This team produces pretty much on major module a year, so yes, it might be awhile.  The are locked into BoN for the next year, so there wont be serious talk of "what's next" until well into 2021.  They could go Battle of Britain, North Africa, Malta, Italy, Russia 1944 just to name some if they wanted to stay in the west.  If they do that then we're into 2022.  Or they could turn to the Pacific, which they might because the well is starting to run dry in Europe.  Other than BoB it is MHO that the others that I mentioned are even more nichy (I made that word up)  than usual.

Anyhow, this is all just fun speculation and a way to get opinions out there.  BoN is next and while I am sure that Jason and company are thinking beyond that.  It's going to be one step at a time.  Everything should be all done by the time I retire.

I think with the Pacific, depending on how much info they get on Japanese planes and ships, I think they should start with baby steps: do something like Guadalcanal that has lots of ground based action and some naval action, and then slowly move on to tackle bigger PTO projects.

I don’t think we’ll see the full release of BoN until Spring 2022, and then afterwards they could cover an early/late war (1943-44) Eastern Front in 1 module, then Battle of Berlin, Finland, and then after, BoB and MTO for European battles.

But I’m confident that sometime this decade they can go to the Pacific.