Algy-Lacey

Photo Reconnaissance Aircraft

This is just an idea but if people like it I will put it in the Thread To Gather Your Suggestions.

The developers could add a new feature to the sim by moddeling photo reconnaissance aircraft and their cameras. You fly to the place that needs surveying and basically take a black and white screenshot.

I can imagine flying at low level below radar deep into enemy territory, trying to evade interception and taking photographs to gain valuable inteligence for your bomber squadrons or ground operations.

For the Allies there were a number of different PR Spitfire variants, 2 of which could be made from existing or upcoming aircraft. For example the FR (Fighter-Reconnaissance) Mk.IX which retained the standard guns of the Mk.IX but also had an obliquely mounted F.24 camera pointing sideways from the rear fuselage. This was intended for low level photography. This would be easy to make from the existing Mk.IX but I am not sure if it had the 'C' wing or the 'E' wing with .50 cals.

Or the developers could make the unarmed Spitfire PR Mk.XIX which operated at high altitudes with vertical mounted F.8 or F.52 cameras, or at low altitudes with the obliquely mounted F.24 camera, the PR Mk.XIX is a Mk.XIV fuselage with PR Mk.XI wings with no guns, but extra fuel tanks and a PR Mk.X pressurised cabin on some aircraft. This aircraft could be made from the upcoming Spitfire Mk.XIV.

Which of these two aircraft would you prefer?

For the Luftwaffe (wiki says) the Arado 234 C4 was used as an armed recon aircraft with 4 x 20mm cannon and fitted with 2 cameras. Can anyone find information on this aircraft? eg. how were the cameras placed? Was it intended for high altitude operations or low level?

There is also the Focke Wulf 189 Uhu which is a dedicated Reconnaissance aircraft. However, it is slow and doesn't have a high altitude sevice ceiling at 7000m (23,000ft).

How could this work so that gaining inteligence on a target would give an advantage to your side online or in a career? If implemented well I think this would add another good aspect to this already great flight sim.

Cheers,

Algy-Lacey

8 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

This is just an idea but if people like it I will put it in the Thread To Gather Your Suggestions.

The developers could add a new feature to the sim by moddeling photo reconnaissance aircraft and their cameras. You fly to the place that needs surveying and basically take a black and white screenshot.

I can imagine flying at low level below radar deep into enemy territory, trying to evade interception and taking photographs to gain valuable inteligence for your bomber squadrons or ground operations.

For the Allies there were a number of different PR Spitfire variants, 2 of which could be made from existing or upcoming aircraft. For example the FR (Fighter-Reconnaissance) Mk.IX which retained the standard guns of the Mk.IX but also had an obliquely mounted F.24 camera pointing sideways from the rear fuselage. This was intended for low level photography. This would be easy to make from the existing Mk.IX but I am not sure if it had the 'C' wing or the 'E' wing with .50 cals.

Or the developers could make the unarmed Spitfire PR Mk.XIX which operated at high altitudes with vertical mounted F.8 or F.52 cameras, or at low altitudes with the obliquely mounted F.24 camera, the PR Mk.XIX is a Mk.XIV fuselage with PR Mk.XI wings with no guns, but extra fuel tanks and a PR Mk.X pressurised cabin on some aircraft. This aircraft could be made from the upcoming Spitfire Mk.XIV.

Which of these two aircraft would you prefer?

For the Luftwaffe (wiki says) the Arado 234 C4 was used as an armed recon aircraft with 4 x 20mm cannon and fitted with 2 cameras. Can anyone find information on this aircraft? eg. how were the cameras placed? Was it intended for high altitude operations or low level?

There is also the Focke Wulf 189 Uhu which is a dedicated Reconnaissance aircraft. However, it is slow and doesn't have a high altitude sevice ceiling at 7000m (23,000ft).

How could this work so that gaining inteligence on a target would give an advantage to your side online or in a career? If implemented well I think this would add another good aspect to this already great flight sim.

Cheers,

Algy-Lacey

Combat Box has a recon mechanic on its "Standoff in the Lowlands" map. There are specific planes on specific airfields that you have to take, and loosely defined recon areas for pilots to search. You have to take the plane and find the target, then orbit it for some time to 'take pictures'. There's no camera to use and no keybinds for it so its not full implemented into the sim in the way other systems are, but its a good demonstration of what is possible in the sim right now in the online space. 

• Like 1

The idea and request has been discussed many times since Il-2 BoX was launched. Many here would welcome the feature as would I, but there has not been much response from the Dev team. The Fw-189 was ubiquitous over Russia for the entire GPW. We had them in IL-2 1946. We also have the basic mechanics of the recon mission already modelled in RoF, so it is surprising it hasn't been incorporated into BoX. It has my vote!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elem said:

The idea and request has been discussed many times since Il-2 BoX was launched. Many here would welcome the feature as would I, but there has not been much response from the Dev team. The Fw-189 was ubiquitous over Russia for the entire GPW. We had them in IL-2 1946. We also have the basic mechanics of the recon mission already modelled in RoF, so it is surprising it hasn't been incorporated into BoX. It has my vote!

Hello. I will have a look for previous discussions and maybe delete this thread. There's no point in discussing the same topic again and again. I hope that the developers know of the interest that photo recon generates in the community.

Can you please say a little about how it works in RoF?

Cheers

Algy-Lacey

13 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Can you please say a little about how it works in RoF?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure in Achtung Spitfire, there is a recon mission.

I enjoyed it and would enjoy more, also with the Mosquito coming, another great plane for recon.

• Like 1

The P-38 and P-51 both had photo recon variants (F-5 and F-6 respectively).  The Bf109 also had numerous recon variants throughout its lifespan.  Many of these could be a simple modification to the existing aircraft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w00dy said:

I'm sure in Achtung Spitfire, there is a recon mission.

And there are recon missions in several careers, but observing only and no camera to capture the results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elem said:

And there are recon missions in several careers, but observing only and no camera to capture the results.

That's cool. What are the conditions for a mission being successful? And does the result of the mission impact on future missions?

It would be great if successfully taking a photo of the target would affect the big picture ie. bombers would then fly out to bomb the target you have identified. Or if in an online scenario :  coming home with photos of a target then makes the target appear on a map for other players to go and destroy. These are just "wouldn't it be cool... if..." ideas.

Right now I model recon as just flying over waypoints.  In RoF we had a little camera icon that you had to click but really that was it.  IMHO it did not add much and I was never a big fan of it.  When I flew two seaters in RoF I would always fly bomb, attack, contact patrol, or artillery spot missions.

What would be pretty cool is a camera that you could aim and shoot. The logs would record the position that was photographed.  That, in turn, could be used to determine if you had photographed the intended target.  

• Upvote 3