Sign in to follow this  
sevenless

Meteor vs V-1: The First Jet-on-Jet Combat

Worth a BoN collector plane? What do you think?

• Upvote 1

The Meteor would be nice. It flew in action, just not over the continent. 
I would not use that against the devs if they made it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

The Meteor would be nice. It flew in action, just not over the continent. 
I would not use that against the devs if they made it

After March '45 Meteors were used for strafing attacks, but didn't get into air combat because of the Luftwaffe being increasingly rare in the skies

A pair of them forced an Fi-156 to land, once, I have read. That's sort of a kill

My personal instinct would be to build aircraft like an Il-4 or Do-217 or Fw-189 as AI... but jets might sell, and let's face it - having enough fuel to get more than a handful of He-162 in the air almost happened... and deploying Meteors to the continent almost happened to about the same degree... and I kindof have a thing for the He-162... so I'd be a hypocrite if I said 'don't dream'.

It might be better to hope for a Korean war era meteor though... there were some simpler single-seat ones still in use during that period and it might be a better us of resources. IMHO, I've been thinking that, if they do invest in a Korean theatre at some point it would make sense to follow it up with a European 1950-1955 West German scenario... after 1955 aircraft start being equipped with far too many avionics for it to be worthwhile... but there are a bunch of interesting aircraft that were held back from Korea because they were deployed only in Europe, were a little late (e.g. Il-28), or were almost obsolete (e.g. Vampire). So it'd be a good way to get two products out of one idea.

11 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

After March '45 Meteors were used for strafing attacks, but didn't get into air combat because of the Luftwaffe being increasingly rare in the skies

A pair of them forced an Fi-156 to land, once, I have read. That's sort of a kill

Then we can demand they build it for us , Sir. Why should the Jerry have all the fun? 

15 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

It might be better to hope for a Korean war era meteor though...

God! No

no Korea if we go there we have lost a lot of WW 2 

I would like a DO 217 K flyable myself. But a true allied levelbomber like B26 before that. We can wish all we like. The theme was Meteor and I would not mind

7 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Then we can demand they build it for us , Sir. Why should the Jerry have all the fun? 

I'm saying it did see action on the continent, and it wouldn't be farfetched to allow players to fly it. Personally I would love to give it a go, I've never seen a good quality one in a sim before

• Like 1

Just now, =621=Samikatz said:

I'm saying it did see action on the continent, and it wouldn't be farfetched to allow players to fly it. Personally I would love to give it a go, I've never seen a good quality one in a sim before

I think the devs would do a perfect job of it

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

That is true. Phil Listemann has a description of the events in his booklet. It was 616 Sqn doing quite some air-ground work:

Even as the war in Europe was in its very last days, 616 carried out no less than 92 sorties, in four days, during which dozens of vehicles were destroyed or damaged. For example, on 2 May, the pilots claimed twenty vehicles destroyed and 100 more damaged. That day, the Meteor came close to claiming its first air victory as a Storch was seen on the return leg and was attacked by F/L Tony Jennings. For the Storch, it was easy to counter the attacks, turning towards its attacker as the Meteor reached firing range, so Jennings could not get in to a good position to open fire. The fight ended when the German pilot decided not dare the Meteor pilot any further and landed in a field. The two persons on board escaped before Jennings made a strafing pass and destroyed the Fi-156. The following day, during a surprise attack against the airfield of Schönberg, one Fieseler Storch, two Ju87s, two He111s and one Bf109 were destroyed on the ground. All but the Storch were destroyed at the airfield. The next day, the 4th, the Meteors were responsible for the destruction of more targets to bring the total for May to 43 motor vehicles, two locos and seven aircraft on the ground.

Listemann, Phil H. The Gloster Meteor F.I & F.III: Volume 15 (Squadrons!) . Philedition. Kindle-Version. 

Unbenannt.jpg

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

If the V-1 qualifies as a jet, then diarrhea is a form of jet-propulsion, too.

RAF squadron logs refer to the V-1s as jet propelled aircraft. 

13 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

RAF squadron logs refer to the V-1s as jet propelled aircraft. 

After all, the V1 was an airborne craft propelled by a pulse jet. It might not be what springs to mind when someone thinks of a jet aircraft, but I’d say it counts as one.

Posted (edited)

I like the idea - but can we wait for after Berlin '45? I would like to see Yak-3s & La-7s vs Bf 109G-10s and Fw 190A-9s match up.

However to be fair, the German side would have to get the Ta-183 as neither aircraft shutdown another human piloted aircraft in WWII combat.

Edited by JG7_X-Man