I can't seem to keep up with the rest of my flight in the IL-2, in career mode. It seems when I try to catch up the engine gets to hot, then open the radiators and lose speed. There is something I'm missing, can anyone tell me? The planes are all fully loaded, but I'm the one being left in the dust. 

100% open radiators should be the best setting to allow the most airflow through them - especially the "refrigerator" box on the bottom.   The slats fully closed wall-off and block the air more than open, they are there for armor during attacks and to prevent over-cooling, not overheating. With them closed, you are actually increasing drag and workload on the engine. If you are over-heated or over-cooled, you will lose horsepower - especially if it's the oil that's the wrong temperature.  The only time I've ever had to close up the radiators was on winter maps when using lower cruise/speed settings, which the AI will sometimes do for a long-range flight plan.  

Radiators at 100% , 2050 RPM and keeping the Manifold Pressure around the 10 to 10.5 mark on the dial should be all you need.   Use trim to get as close to hands-free flight in the straight and level as you can at the speed you need.  Try to keep a steady throttle setting and let the plane build speed with as little extra adjusting maneuvers as possible.  

I find that the other IL-2s in the flight are a decent bit slower than me but, if they are still too fast for you, it may be an AI issue.  They can sometimes be very good at running flat out for a long time at 1 degree below a full on overheat.  AI can be that precise because it's always aware of it's limits.  

There's not many missions that will require you to use a 100% fuel tank so you can reduce your fuel load on mission plans that are shorter.  Be sure to take enough so you don't run out with leaks.  It's a bit of a guess, unless you get into some range calculations but, for the most part it gets easier to just estimate how much fuel weight you can afford to leave off the more you fly.  

As a rule of thumb, I find the mission briefing says we'll cruise at 375km/h, we actually cruise at closer to 350km/h, and I can sustain just above 400km/h with fairly relaxed engine settings and without anything overheating.  If you're struggling to get to 350 something is wrong with your settings, and if your flight is streaking away at > 400 I don't know what's going on.

As Mr Mobile BBQ says, control movements eat your speed.  It could be something as simple as standing on the rudder pedal without realising (don't ask me how I know).

I usually fly with 100% fuel, oil radiator closed and water radiator at 20-40%.  I back off on the RPM and mixture to 80-90%.  Anecdotally it seems that max RPM is bad for overheating, but I haven't done any real testing.  I know when I get a 109-induced interest in how fast I'm going and crank the RPM and throttle up, I'm immediately opening radiators as well.

Don't take this as best practice, just a reference point.

On 7/7/2020 at 6:11 AM, nightmare33 said:

I can't seem to keep up with the rest of my flight in the IL-2, in career mode. It seems when I try to catch up the engine gets to hot, then open the radiators and lose speed. There is something I'm missing, can anyone tell me? The planes are all fully loaded, but I'm the one being left in the dust. 

Need to know your RPM %, your Mixture %, and did you raise your flaps and gear :)

Radiator alone won't stop you catching your flight