US93_Wright

Balloon Observers

Posted (edited)

@Petrovich note this is an idea im not sure if it is entirely possible. But I've noticed in multi-player people stay away from balloons generally because they are not worth the risk and have almost not strategic value. Plus flak is awefully scary lol.

The idea is why not allow a player to spawn as a balloon observer and you can look around direct artillary barrages (move balloon up and down to potentially hide in clouds) and even see if you can spot halberstadts or bristols en route to a target. Now there might be some reason this isn't possible that I probably don't know but due to the lack of tanks in ww1 it might be a way to bring in some players who either lack the utensils to fly an aircraft in game or are just lazy and want to contribute while on vacation maybe even bring in those who use tank crew into the FC community. And the option to bailout above a certain altitude and binoculars even to help with spotting and in order to address it communication could be done through in game chat or by flares to friendly aircraft . A give order list to the ground artillary below you would also be an option too.

Edited by US93_Wright
  • Like 1

It could be as basic as only having an external "F2 button" view. 

The ability to fire flares which could be attached to specific commands that start arty barages-this has already been done with some FC MP missiions with arty spotter planes, so I know its possible. 

If you wanted to put the person in the basket, I don't see how it would be much different than a rear gunner in a two seater. Give him the ability to free look, ability to flare (give them more flares rounds than currently issued to pilots) , ability to jump (with chute), ability to raise and lower the balloon, maybe even a pair of binoculars if you really wanted to get fancy.

Perhaps have the balloon be able to have two occupants. One that is designated for arty spotting, the other simply observing for enemy aircraft and could act as "radio man" so to speak. 

This could incorporate your marshal feature by having the balloon observers dictate the ground war and the movement of the frontlines. As he completes arty objectives the lines could move forward. 

This would create HUGE incentive to attack and protect balloons.

You could even incorporate this same "player" in an AI controlled car, or at some forward observation post directing artillery-all of which is linked by the flare system that the mission makers have currently incorporated. 

More pie-in-the-sky dreams: using those same binoculars with a reticle in them that you can use to range the artillery and adjust the fire to the target like your typical artillery forward observer. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, US93_Talbot said:

It could be as basic as only having an external "F2 button" view. 

The ability to fire flares which could be attached to specific commands that start arty barages-this has already been done with some FC MP missiions with arty spotter planes, so I know its possible. 

If you wanted to put the person in the basket, I don't see how it would be much different than a rear gunner in a two seater. Give him the ability to free look, ability to flare (give them more flares rounds than currently issued to pilots) , ability to jump (with chute), ability to raise and lower the balloon, maybe even a pair of binoculars if you really wanted to get fancy.

Perhaps have the balloon be able to have two occupants. One that is designated for arty spotting, the other simply observing for enemy aircraft and could act as "radio man" so to speak. 

This could incorporate your marshal feature by having the balloon observers dictate the ground war and the movement of the frontlines. As he completes arty objectives the lines could move forward. 

This would create HUGE incentive to attack and protect balloons.

You could even incorporate this same "player" in an AI controlled car, or at some forward observation post directing artillery-all of which is linked by the flare system that the mission makers have currently incorporated. 

More pie-in-the-sky dreams: using those same binoculars with a reticle in them that you can use to range the artillery and adjust the fire to the target like your typical artillery forward observer. 

Thx Talbot you actually explained it quite throughly👌

Edited by US93_Wright

Posted (edited)

Incentive to attack and protect balloons?

How about just having the opening/closing of some popular forward airfields is linked to the opposing sides balloons? Such as having Beugnâtre under constant shell fire and closed to the Germans while the Ententes balloon (which in the scenario is the supposed spotter for the guns) is alive and raised. Or perhaps the frontline being able to be advanced in various areas due to the amount of time that each sides balloon (and other assets) in the areas have been active, a kind of king of the hill situation, the advantage to keeping your balloon raised/alive longer than your opponents being that your ground troops manage to take over portions of the enemies frontlines (how would you like to have some Entente ground positions with anti-air machineguns closer to Hun land?).

I'm not sure that man 'able balloons are going to be used that much from players, cannot honest see someone wanting to spend their time just sitting in the balloons. Consider players are a resource better spent inside another aircraft. And that having someone in balloon would not incentivise their destruction any more than not having someone in them. Just need the (ai) balloons to have more interaction with the players/mission in order to make keeping yours alive and the enemies dead more important to you. At the moment I do not think many missions on the Flugpark are even using them to fire flares to warn of enemy aircraft. Probably help having them marked on the map as known positions also.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Good idea oliver and I think thats doable actually. Might be good to post that in the flugpark thread.

They do flare, I saw it just the other day. Don't know which maps they do though. Doesn't seem like all. 

I dunno, might be a way to get guys to try out FC. Just as anyone can be a gunner without having the plane. 

Just adds a different element. Some folk do nothing but rear gun which creates a whole other player class. Someone might like to do arty spotting and get really good at it. Never know. 

Could have this huge logistics element ith trains and trucks attached to it for that "marshal" feature they talk about from time to time.

Edited by US93_Talbot

Posted (edited)

Yeah you'd be surprised that some people get there kicks through strategic planning and not just action. Besides, it can be swapped with AI if need be probably. In truth what inspired this idea was not the idea of not being able to fly but also so that when I'm out of town I can still use my laptop and play as a balloon observer and still potentially help the team out though i don't have a beasty PC. Besides what if you just want to sit around and listen to your favorite playlist while spotting huns etc.

It would offer a more lazy form of gameplay and a less time intensive one not to mention one of the biggest motivation killers is the thought of being in a 2 hour sortie with nothing but empty skies

Edited by US93_Wright