I'm looking to get more seat time with the p38 and hopefully get consistently good with it. Does anybody know some proven tactics O can use against the german planesets. Obviously having wingmen is the first.

• Reduce mixture to 48% to get rid of the smoke trail at full power. Always better to be less visible. Or make the one you're creeping up on think you're at low power.
  • Stay fast, you can pull higher G's than the Lufties.
  • Shoot them at long range, you can carry plenty of ammo for your BMG's. It's better to fight Lufties once they get some first. Use the 20 mm for the kill.
  • Don't top off her tanks, you don't nedd all that fuel, especially after adhering to first advice.
  • You can climb with almost everything.
  • Don't dive after your prey.
  • Throttle back for dives and especially dive bombing. You have dive flaps, use them to pull out of dives down low.
  • At lower weight, you outturn almost any Lufty plane. But don't go too slow. Despite maneuvering flaps, there's something fishy about the elevator efficiency.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:
  • Reduce mixture to 48% to get rid of the smoke trail at full power. Always better to be less visible. Or make the one you're creeping up on think you're at low power.
  • Stay fast, you can pull higher G's than the Lufties.
  • Shoot them at long range, you can carry plenty of ammo for your BMG's. It's better to fight Lufties once they get some first. Use the 20 mm for the kill.
  • Don't top off her tanks, you don't nedd all that fuel, especially after adhering to first advice.
  • You can climb with almost everything.
  • Don't dive after your prey.
  • Throttle back for dives and especially dive bombing. You have dive flaps, use them to pull out of dives down low.
  • At lower weight, you outturn almost any Lufty plane. But don't go too slow. Despite maneuvering flaps, there's something fishy about the elevator efficiency.

Thanks for some suggestions. I believe its 49% mixture. Yes, i have pretty much resorted to high alt slashing strikes with the 38, its good at that. One pass, haul ass. Defensive can be really tricky, especially at low altitude. You almost always need a wingman or two, if you have altitude, I've found that a tight split s is good to lose the enemy. It's definitely a plane that takes alot of discipline.

9 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Don't top off her tanks, you don't nedd all that fuel, especially after adhering to first advice.

Good point there. In career mode, I've set the default fuel level to where only the inner tanks are filled. On the Rhineland map, any more fuel than that is entirely unnecessary. 

• Upvote 1