Sign in to follow this  
snowsnipersnow_sniper

Sounds & flyby sounds immersive and fun

Hi Everybody.

AS a WWII sims enthusiast, I dream that a few time spent by devs on SOUNDS.

That is what make it unbelieveble and good immersive sensation and fun.

AS a realistic hardcore simmer, it does'nt matter about all clickable buttons or so on. (even the more realistic it is the more fun it is in my mind)

Just make realistic flight models and engine and best of the best immersive sound

Just have a look at tiger V3 mod for IL2. You 'll anderstand what i mean. Such an emotion !

today, A2A or COd TF4.3 Sounds and fly by sounds are really under level of Tiger V3 mod.

I dream of a sim with those perfection sounds

please please please just a few time to work on sounds ;-)

you can contact Tiger, on Atag forum french part i think.

P.S sorry for my poor english.

If Sounds and Fly by sound like in the vid is important for you please up this post.

Fly by  and fly by sound was one of the best fun of IL2 series in comparaison of other sim. please keep this identitie.

Thank you for your attention to this point

Edited by snowsnipersnow_sniper

The Tiger sounds are good, and it is clear what he is trying to do with them, but the sound model in the first video is still nowhere near realistic.It is just better in several respects than the stock sound model of IL-2.

My immediate objections to the sound model above are:

1. The unrealistic sound (level and quality) of the clattering undercarriage on taxying

2. The same sample for successive fly-pasts

3. The unrealistic fall-off with distance on the fly-past

Note I am not trying to start a flame war about the various sound mods in IL-2. The point I am trying to make is that a modern sim ought to be developing a sound engine that produces sounds according to aircraft/engine type and state, climate conditions (temperature, humidity etc), the relative position/speed of the observer (fall-off, Doppler effect), etc etc. That's what Oleg's team tried to do a decade ago.

Cheers,

4S

• Upvote 1

The Tiger sounds are good, and it is clear what he is trying to do with them, but the sound model in the first video is still nowhere near realistic.It is just better in several respects than the stock sound model of IL-2.

My immediate objections to the sound model above are:

1. The unrealistic sound (level and quality) of the clattering undercarriage on taxying

2. The same sample for successive fly-pasts

3. The unrealistic fall-off with distance on the fly-past

Note I am not trying to start a flame war about the various sound mods in IL-2. The point I am trying to make is that a modern sim ought to be developing a sound engine that produces sounds according to aircraft/engine type and state, climate conditions (temperature, humidity etc), the relative position/speed of the observer (fall-off, Doppler effect), etc etc. That's what Oleg's team tried to do a decade ago.

Cheers,

4S

So ..maybe like that

or that
:)

Cheers

Tiger_33

• Upvote 2

il2 BOS is great  keep up the good work devs... :biggrin:

I think current BoS Sound is great.

To make it better, it needs to be more deeper.. (like woofer sound)  :cool:

There are no words,  Tiger to talk about this work on COD sounds !! Fantastic Vids !! absolutely perfect.

It should be a dream to have so immersive and perfect sounds as a real flight meeting !

you're playing with my emotions 

thanks again.

P.S:  i will downgrading COD from TF4.315 to TF 3 if necessary  :wacko:  :lol:

If I recall BOS has a very cutting edge 3rd party sound engine. I'm sure it just needs some polishing. I don't however agree with the choice for the soundscape to only be done in stereo.

BoS uses the same sound engine as many titles these days, FMOD. You'll notice Star Citizen using it as well, and many others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMOD

What do you mean by "stereo?" I have 5.1, and it is quite clearly not just stereo sound.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Tiger, those COD videos show a much more polished sound model. Well done!

Sound would be really hard to model because it is so dependent on physics.

Cheers,

4S

I stay far, far, away from audio mods for flight sims, because all too often the source of the audio is some random YouTube video, a recording ripped from a CD of varying quality, or something yanked from a movie. 1CGS has a very, very good audio engineer (so good, in fact, he was loaned out by 777 to fix CloD's broken sound engine), so the quality of the audio is the least of my concerns with both BOS and ROF.

• Upvote 1

What do you mean by "stereo?" I have 5.1, and it is quite clearly not just stereo sound.

Somewhere along the way (way back) I read BOS isn't going to do anything other than stereo. Things have been changing though. I do know my 5.1 sounds good and so does my stereo earbuds, so I really can't tell. 

Edited by LastRights13

Both BOS and Rise of Flight have always supported 5.1 sound. It certainly isn't anything new.

• Upvote 1

Somewhere along the way (way back) I read BOS isn't going to do anything other than stereo. Things have been changing though. I do know my 5.1 sounds good and so does my stereo earbuds, so I really can't tell. 

Nah man, 5.1 is fully supported - it isn't just left/right. Same as in RoF. There is no L/R only in RoF, its very directional and very distinace distinctive.  I've had a Creative X-Fi Titananium Fatali1ty card driving Logitech 5.1 X-530 speakers with RoF and the audio was definitely directional. I am most recently on a Creative SBZ (which is freaking awesome, but don't buy one if you're happy with your current sound card- I love it and the La5 that is apparently anemic to some that i've read here on this forum is causing me to go deaf and my buttocks to rumble beyond contentment due to the buttkicker) My headset is in my sig, but it is honestly awesome. With the SB Z, the Psyko Krytpon and a buttkicker gamer - the La5 sounds and feels very much like I have that engine sitting a foot in front of my face and less in front of my anus.

I've no interest in pushing new products (like OR that is being pushed quite a bit everywhere), I'm just stating that my sound is phenomenal. This isn't directed at you LR13, just a general statement.

The guy who does the sound for the engines is a genius. Am I the only one who noticed the localized sound of the superchargers?

Both BOS and Rise of Flight have always supported 5.1 sound. It certainly isn't anything new.

• Not trying to prove wrong or right but this is what I read.  :salute:
  • The sound will be designed for stereo (but will work fine with multi-channel output). (LOFT)
  • 2) How many channels will be designed the sound by default: stereo, 4.0, 5.1 or 7.1?

The sound will be designed for stereo. All sounds and their sources in the project we place correctly in 3D space relative to the listener, even when you using a simple stereo you will perceive the whole sound picture. Supports multi-channel sound requires more work, but given the experience of RoF we have not seen much point in that. In the future this support is not very difficult to make.

• Upvote 1

The guy who does the sound for the engines is a genius. Am I the only one who noticed the localized sound of the superchargers?

Just well listened  :biggrin:  . That 's exactly those little sound parts which make it uncredibly realistic.

I stay far, far, away from audio mods for flight sims, because all too often the source of the audio is some random YouTube video, a recording ripped from a CD of varying quality, or something yanked from a movie. 1CGS has a very, very good audio engineer (so good, in fact, he was loaned out by 777 to fix CloD's broken sound engine), so the quality of the audio is the least of my concerns with both BOS and ROF.

Very happy to read that. As 1CGS "has a very, very good audio engineer" , it will be more easy for him to add  those little sounds parts like superchargers

This is exactly the subject of the post. asking for a few more immersives sounds details.

Sure they can do it,

777 devs are very brilliant. so is their work.

But will they have time to polish this point in beta time ? I hope it. That's why I began this post.

That's why we need this subject to become a hot one in order that all the very very good dev's work,  become the Best.

:biggrin: 

• Not trying to prove wrong or right but this is what I read.  :salute:
  • The sound will be designed for stereo (but will work fine with multi-channel output). (LOFT)
  • 2) How many channels will be designed the sound by default: stereo, 4.0, 5.1 or 7.1?

The sound will be designed for stereo. All sounds and their sources in the project we place correctly in 3D space relative to the listener, even when you using a simple stereo you will perceive the whole sound picture. Supports multi-channel sound requires more work, but given the experience of RoF we have not seen much point in that. In the future this support is not very difficult to make.

That means the samples are designed in stereo. They fully support 5.1. I have 5.1, its very directional. It just means that the sound wasn't engineered at 5 points from the listener - no sound system does that.

That means the samples are designed in stereo. They fully support 5.1. I have 5.1, its very directional. It just means that the sound wasn't engineered at 5 points from the listener - no sound system does that.

Thank you I wasn't aware of this.

S!

Edited by LastRights13

Nah man, 5.1 is fully supported - it isn't just left/right. Same as in RoF. There is no L/R only in RoF, its very directional and very distinace distinctive.  I've had a Creative X-Fi Titananium Fatali1ty card driving Logitech 5.1 X-530 speakers with RoF and the audio was definitely directional. I am most recently on a Creative SBZ (which is freaking awesome, but don't buy one if you're happy with your current sound card- I love it and the La5 that is apparently anemic to some that i've read here on this forum is causing me to go deaf and my buttocks to rumble beyond contentment due to the buttkicker) My headset is in my sig, but it is honestly awesome. With the SB Z, the Psyko Krytpon and a buttkicker gamer - the La5 sounds and feels very much like I have that engine sitting a foot in front of my face and less in front of my anus.

I have a similar experience here with my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers and Asus Xonar DX card. When I fly the Gotha in Rise of Flight, the drone of those two engines drown out absolutely everything else. :good:

• Upvote 1