BladeMeister

P38 dual engine, dual throttle control

I am about to purchase a new throttle and am considering a dual throttle handle. My question is, does using a dual throttle influence the way one can dogfight in the P38? In the real world, P38 pilots would be able to pull off some pretty wild manuevers by pulling back one engine throttle partially. At least that is what I have read. Is this behavior reflected in the flight model of the P38 in TGBS or is a dual throttle unnecessary?

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
fix mispellin

Torque is modeled but I haven't flown the plane enough to figure out how to take advantage of it in a counter rotating twin engine plane.

Edited by cardboard_killer

I used to use differential throttle when fighting with the bf110. It could be used to enhance a turn but I can't say whether or not it was effective because I'm not an effective pilot to begin with.

I have since swapped my dual throttle quadrant for a single throttle with prop pitch, mixture and rads on separate levers. I thought it was worth losing differential throttle to gain those other controls.

Edited by 40plus
  • Upvote 1

Asymmetric thrust is definitely modeled and you can absolutely use it to pull off some interesting maneuvers, with practice.  It also just helps some of the other big twins with regard to ground handling and taxiing, particularly the HE-111.   Not to mention throttling back a dead engine in any of the twins (and particularly the Me-262). 

Like all speed bleeding maneuvers you better time it correctly. I avoided initial attacks this way and even turned the table that way. However the wingman always gotten me. It works well if your on even terms. 

I also can use dual throttle but chose not to.  What I do with the 38 is use the dive flaps to increase my turning radius, even though using dive flaps will slow me down I find I can out turn my attacker and also get them to over shoot me. 

12 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

In the real world, P38 pilots would be able to pull off some pretty wild manuevers by pulling back one engine throttle partially. At least that is what I have read.

Stories.

You want even thrust from the left and right engine. Making funny things one one engine just proves that you are very slow and uncontrolled. Thus, you assure that any halfwit on the other team can shoot you to smithereens at leisure. There is also no point in the game to de-sync prop rpm to make it harder for listening posts locating you (there is no such thing in the game).

Spoiler

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-674-7757-18,_Flak

Hence, you can conveniently fly & fight just using one throttle lever.

If however one engine gets damaged, then you want to throttle back a bit on that engine to make it last longer. That is when you start to really like dual throttle. For all twins.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Like 1

Just now, Bremspropeller said:

Is that Beats by Dr. Goebbels?

No, Fräulein is listening to enemy vibes. Saves her the spastic arm movements.

6 hours ago, 40plus said:

I can't say whether or not it was effective because I'm not an effective pilot to begin with.

You have encapsulated my entire life's story in 94 characters. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you want to make the most effective use of differential power don't use the throttles, use the propeller levers.  Set your manifold pressure and forget about it, use the rpm's.  The engines are going to spool up and down way too slow via fuel flows and turbo pressure, whereas rpm is nearly instant power on and off right at the prop.  In game not going to ever break them.  It's highly effective, you can bank and turn easily without using flight controls.  There is a snap tendency in the vertical so you need to learn coordination of the rudder and prop.   

Thanks to all that have offered their comments. CPT Crunch;) you raise a good point. I looked in game and there is provision for Axis assignment for Control Prop 1 and Control Prop 2. So you think it would be more efficient to have dual Prop Pitch Levers rather than Dual Throttle Handles? Obviously it would be cheaper for me, but I am still leaning towards dual Throttle Handles and also Dual Prop Pitch Levers.  Possibly flying dual engine jets in DCS again one day might be a good cause to have Dual Throttles?  Thanks CPT Crunch for the info. Anyone else fly the P38 and have a particular way that they manage the two engines to benefit handling/performance while dog fighting? 

S!Blade<><

216th_Lusekofte, I saw your Throttle unit in the GVL thread. That is a really COOL assembly. Very Immersive SIR. I am going to have Vitaly make me one of each of these suited to my needs very soon. I am just trying to settle on the best design. I have to sleep on it a week or two to arrive at the best design.;)

S!Blade<><

20.JPG

21.jpg

22.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well after much a due, I am settling on this as my final revision to order this Trim Console and Throttle Assembly. Anybody see any glaring mistakes? I will not have Vitaly label either unit with names but will have buttons, toggles and rotaries labeled as B1,..TG1,...RTY1,  etc . I will have all of the Trim Wheels labeled accordingly and the Landing Gear Lever as well. The last pic is the style of the base, grip and handles I want. Any thoughts from anyone??? 

S!Blade<><

4.jpg

5.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Edited by BladeMeister

Personally, there’s nothing quite like grabbing a whole fist full of throttles and pushing them all to the firewall. 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:16 PM, BladeMeister said:

Well after much a due, I am settling on this as my final revision to order this Trim Console and Throttle Assembly. Anybody see any glaring mistakes? I will not have Vitaly label either unit with names but will have buttons, toggles and rotaries labeled as B1,..TG1,...RTY1,  etc . I will have all of the Trim Wheels labeled accordingly and the Landing Gear Lever as well. The last pic is the style of the base, grip and handles I want. Any thoughts from anyone??? 

Some aircraft use buttons for trim eg:FW190 will your rotaries work for this

I'm at the moment looking at building a button /trim box  myself