Garensterz17

How to achieve camera angles like this video?

Much respect for the guy who made this machinima. 

I'd also like to know how to achieve those specific types of camera angles in this video. From what I'm seeing he did a bunch of controlled speed dolly angles, controlled speed panning, and he also added Depth of Field, which is really difficult to achieve in after effects or premiere. In general, how did he manage to achieve those angles? It's feels like he has full control over the camera in game which I find it very difficult when using in game camera angles. I want to have controlled speed dollies but I'm stuck with the ingame's two speed camera movement, fast and slow only and it's not that reliable. 

And the other is how did he do those depth of field. It didn't look artificial, it was too close to be realistic just like a real camera. There are ways to use depth of field in premiere but it looks too artificial compared to this. 

If anyone knows how to achieve these, please let me know I'm all willing to learn. I also do machinimas, and I wanted to do professional grade videos for Il2 but I'm limited with the in game's camera abilities.

This is a nice question. And I would like to know too...

But I can sort of guess at some ideas.

First that the guy is making a really good use of existing ingame cameras, also of game speeds, and probably of the complex mission editor.

Some shoots, like the oppening one, I can guess it was done by actually flying through the "friendly" formation while being ataked, and then diving away  in front of them

Then replying the ingame track of it, going to outside View (F2) and to the "atached" outside cameras (Alt+F2) looking back, with some zoom. So you have the actual displacement of the camera already done, and you just need to pan/look arround (with mouse/track ir), maybe add a tiny bit of shakiness to the video so you hide any mouse tracking imorefection.

With the same idea, some "traking shoots" are Made with the cammera  external view atached to some vehicle or plane, with extreme zoom and distances aplyed...

I think there is also an outside view, that can automaticaly track another object(friend/foe) but haven't found it Yet.

At 2:19 I think the camera it's not moving, but rotating arround fixed  to  one of the ju88 while also getting closer.

The Depth of field I'm pretty sure it's done on a diferent app.

1 hour ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

I think there is also an outside view, that can automaticaly track another object(friend/foe) but haven't found it Yet.

"Padlock enemy/friendly aircraft"

I don't remember the default key cause I changed it, but it's this one.

In any case, really an outstanding video!!! 

On 6/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, Garensterz17 said:

Much respect for the guy who made this machinima. 

I'd also like to know how to achieve those specific types of camera angles in this video. From what I'm seeing he did a bunch of controlled speed dolly angles, controlled speed panning, and he also added Depth of Field, which is really difficult to achieve in after effects or premiere. In general, how did he manage to achieve those angles? It's feels like he has full control over the camera in game which I find it very difficult when using in game camera angles. I want to have controlled speed dollies but I'm stuck with the ingame's two speed camera movement, fast and slow only and it's not that reliable. 

And the other is how did he do those depth of field. It didn't look artificial, it was too close to be realistic just like a real camera. There are ways to use depth of field in premiere but it looks too artificial compared to this. 

If anyone knows how to achieve these, please let me know I'm all willing to learn. I also do machinimas, and I wanted to do professional grade videos for Il2 but I'm limited with the in game's camera abilities.

The camera work is reasonably easy to achieve, it just takes a lot of planning, shoots, re-shoots and then taking the best of the footage for the edit. As =FEW=fernando11 said, just a variety of camera angles played around with and the similar results can be achieved. The depth of field effects appear to be post production (I am not aware of DoF setting in BoX) and this again just takes a bit of time with Matt effects.

Cheers, MP

On 6/29/2020 at 11:10 PM, =FEW=fernando11 said:

Then replying the ingame track of it, going to outside View (F2) and to the "atached" outside cameras (Alt+F2) looking back, with some zoom. So you have the actual displacement of the camera already done, and you just need to pan/look arround (with mouse/track ir), maybe add a tiny bit of shakiness to the video so you hide any mouse tracking imorefection.

With the same idea, some "traking shoots" are Made with the cammera  external view atached to some vehicle or plane, with extreme zoom and distances aplyed...

At 2:19 I think the camera it's not moving, but rotating arround fixed  to  one of the ju88 while also getting closer.

The Depth of field I'm pretty sure it's done on a diferent app.

The F2 view outside cameras really does make sense. The guy who made the video has some really creative workaround to make angles look natural for a game that has limited amount of camera angles. I just hope the devs would take time to continue updating the flight records program like adding more options for the camera angles. It's not the I'm disappointed with the current one or anything, I also loved recording from flight records and what it can provide to make cinematic scenes, and I'm happy with it. Other games cant even provide these kind of in game replays. 

What I'm also really curious about is the one from the timeline 1:42 to 1:49. I couldn't even do slanted dolly shots like that, it's very hard to master and I'm only using keyboard for camera movement. I talked to the maker of the video about it, he said the certain camera angles he did was either lucky or took lots of takes just to get the perfect shot. He also said some interior camera angles and other gun cam view was removed officially by the devs, I'm not sure why though. 

As for the DOF. By deeply look into it, seems like we were both using the same procedure on applying DOF's. I think he also did DOF masking in some of his videos too, which I haven't tried yet.

Posted (edited)

Hi guys

This video took around 150 hours of work if i recall correctly. Most of the shots were done by using modified alt+F2 views (back when it was unlocked feature). So, I put an alt+F2 camera far away from the plane, and flied the plane myself (or used it from other planes). Some shots were also done with programming the in-game camera (ie 2:50), some by using the free camera and some by using external camera from moving vehicles. What seems as DOF is an after affect, by using some blurring in the background.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, =FEW=fernando11 said:

Using free camera with padlock on the ju88

3 hours ago, Garensterz17 said:

What I'm also really curious about is the one from the timeline 1:42 to 1:49.

Alt+F2 camera. Flew a plane over the column. Put a headwind of 120km/h, so that I could fly the plane at 200km/h and relative speed is not high, so that the shot is ok. Same technique with the train shot and 1:56 (alt+F2 camera below a plane that flies above Ju88 with significant headwind so that the approach is slow). The tank formation shot is recorded from a moving vehicle camera that runs faster than the tanks.

In general, one needs to know how to use mission editor for videos like this. For example, the take-off scene was all AI. I also used AI fighters that spawned at the appropriate time at low altitude above the Ju-88s so that I could achieve different views of the take-off from above, side, etc. The whole idea is to always have a moving camera. Makes the scenes look better.

Editing was done in Sony Vegas Pro. Editing is actually the easiest part. Getting the correct footage is by far the most time consuming task.

Edited by [DBS]airdoc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for taking time to replay, and freely give all this good tips and tricks!

What it's fairly obvious is that really good videos like this one take a lot of hard work and love.

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, [DBS]airdoc said:

Hi guys

This video took around 150 hours of work if i recall correctly. Most of the shots were done by using modified alt+F2 views (back when it was unlocked feature). So, I put an alt+F2 camera far away from the plane, and flied the plane myself (or used it from other planes). Some shots were also done with programming the in-game camera (ie 2:50), some by using the free camera and some by using external camera from moving vehicles. What seems as DOF is an after affect, by using some blurring in the background.

Using free camera with padlock on the ju88

Alt+F2 camera. Flew a plane over the column. Put a headwind of 120km/h, so that I could fly the plane at 200km/h and relative speed is not high, so that the shot is ok. Same technique with the train shot and 1:56 (alt+F2 camera below a plane that flies above Ju88 with significant headwind so that the approach is slow). The tank formation shot is recorded from a moving vehicle camera that runs faster than the tanks.

In general, one needs to know how to use mission editor for videos like this. For example, the take-off scene was all AI. I also used AI fighters that spawned at the appropriate time at low altitude above the Ju-88s so that I could achieve different views of the take-off from above, side, etc. The whole idea is to always have a moving camera. Makes the scenes look better.

Editing was done in Sony Vegas Pro. Editing is actually the easiest part. Getting the correct footage is by far the most time consuming task.

Second hardest task is actually throwing a great shot away on the cutting room floor simply because it doesn't fit the project.....it hurts but that is the brutality of editing :)

10 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Second hardest task is actually throwing a great shot away on the cutting room floor simply because it doesn't fit the project.....it hurts but that is the brutality of editing :)

One of the most painful things in editing. While the editing tool crashes after you've done so much post effects which you haven't saved yet, comes first in the line. 😭

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Whoever invented the shaky camera "effect" should be hanged by the balls.

Edited by Jaws2002

3 hours ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

I'm prety sure you can set it off in settings

I'm not talking about the game settings. I know you can turn that off. I'm talking about this shaky camera effect,  used in videos and a lot of movies as well.

Shaky camera and fast cut scenes are way over used in movies and videos this days. 

3 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

I'm not talking about the game settings. I know you can turn that off. I'm talking about this shaky camera effect,  used in videos and a lot of movies as well.

Shaky camera and fast cut scenes are way over used in movies and videos this days. 

Well that's subjective. It's not as simple as throwing as much effects (or vice versa)  in a particular scene and call it a day, but there's also (kind of) a formula on which specific effect you must use depending on which scene, setting, and the soundtracks that you apply.

For the record, "Camera shakes" supplements the shots you take to make scenes look more dramatic. The reason why the effect is "overused" or should I say, popular among video editors and directors is because it is simple, and a very effective way to give emphasis to your scenes.  The effect gives a big role in cinematography that's why the effect stayed for decades.

Posted (edited)

In movies, this effects are overused because this are cheap ways to cover up poor acting and movie making. Turn the whole thing in a blurry mess, so 50+ years old, lazy, out of shape, actors can play as kick ass action heroes. 

Edited by Jaws2002

12 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

In movies, this effects are overused because this are cheap ways to cover up poor acting and movie making. Turn the whole thing in a blurry mess, so 50+ years old, lazy, out of shape, actors can play as kick ass action heroes. 

Camera Shakes are not limited to action scenes only... But there are times when movies applies camera shake wrongly, or too much. A good movie example that I can think of which overdid the camera shake effect is "Taken" and its sequel. The camera shake there was so overdone I almost puked from dizziness. But that doesn't mean I completely against the camera shake effect, it just needs to be applied properly.

I also don't know how we started talking about camera shakes when no one even mentioned it here. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:26 PM, Mysticpuma said:

Absolutely! Great shot but where to fit, feels like having a piece of art that you have to throw away!

• Like 1