[FDP]Hans_Urvett

Separate key bindings : a possibility ?

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I bought Tank crew last sunday, and loving it.
However, I had to face my most overwhelming enemy, what I consider to be the major issue of this sim, inherited from its older cousins 1946 and Cliffs Of Dover :
THE KEYBINDINGS (thunder noises)

So, I was wondering if there's a possibility, later in the future, to have in-game (and not via JoytoKey/target or other 3rd party software) separate key bindings.
I'm not saying having it for each airplane/tank (I'm fine having the same bindings for some aircrafts) but rather for each type :

• Single engine
  • Twin engines
  • Trimotor (love the Ju-52)
  • quad-engines (let me dream !)
  • Tank
  • Flying Circus (don't know if there's a lot of FC only owner)

For example :

I use the well know warthog HOTAS as well as a saitek throttle quadrant.

On the warthog, I'd love to map the left throttle for RPM and right for Power in single engines, and engine 1 and 2 for twins. But I can't, because my engine 1 is mapped on left throttle, so I can't map it to RPM without it causing a mess. So I mostly use the saitek for single and the warthog for twin engines (and 109's- 190's thanks to the prop pitch buttons).
And the saitek would be perfect for the Ju-52, which doesn't require the same engine management and throttle inputs as a fighter.

In tanks, it's more complicated because the weapons control are not in the tank category. Also, I can't bind the turret to an axis.

This could help a lot of people, new and older players. What do you think ? Could it be possible ?

Edit : Spelling.

Edited by [FDP]Hans_Urvett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like something a quick utility to do, swapping out the input config files based on your choice before running the sim?

The problem with swapping config files is that the game seems to read them only when launched. So if you join a multiplayer server, check what targets need to be hit, and decide on what plane to fly, you then need to swap the config, relaunch the game, and rejoin the server (which can be difficult if the server is almost full). It would be better if you could alt-tab out and have the game reload this file when you enter the cockpit.

The above helped me immensely in setting up my controls by helping me figure out which can overlap.

2 hours ago, grcurmudgeon said:

Seems like something a quick utility to do, swapping out the input config files based on your choice before running the sim?

Hi,I agree with you, but my post was about a possibility, in the future, to do this directly in-game. We simmers rely a lot on 3rd parties uilities and in this case, as Charon said, it is not practical to reboot the game each time we want to swap, especially online.
One of the strengh of Il2 is the ability to hop in any plane or a tank, whenever we want !  😃

1 hour ago, Firdimigdi said:

The above helped me immensely in setting up my controls by helping me figure out which can overlap.

Thanks for that useful document. However, my issue is with the philosophy of IL-2 bindings in general. It's a bit too much on the old-school-sim side and I think a nice refreshing would be welcome.  Right now, it's a bit clunky (but it works, I know that).
We could have separated bindings, or even better the ability to create custom profiles and load them on the go (X-plane offers this possibility).

Well, that's just food for thoughts, I just wanted the opinion of my fellow armchair pilots/tankists ! (and we never know, if a dev stumble upon this post and could shed a light about the mysterious ways of UI and key bindings) 😇

On 6/17/2020 at 4:40 PM, DarkyACG_ said:

i see this posted if it helps https://joytokey.net/en/

Hello, the goal of this post was to see if this could possible without the use of a third party tool such as joytokey (Charon pointed the major issues with it)