BlackSix

Star Wars: Squadrons

I’m afraid it will be a very arcade simulator, but there were no any games on this topic for many years if we don't consider dogfights in space in the recent Battlefronts...

PC System Requirements

Spoiler

Recommended (non-VR) / Minimum (VR)

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 3200G

Processor (Intel): Intel I7-7700

Memory: 16GB

Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 480 or Equivalent

Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1060 or Equivalent

DirectX: 11

Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Hard Drive Space: 30GB

Recommended (VR)

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 3200G

Processor (Intel): Intel I7-7700

Memory: 16GB

Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 570 or Equivalent

Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1070 or Equivalent

DirectX: 11

Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Hard Drive Space: 30GB

Minimum (non-VR)

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 1300X

Processor (Intel): Intel I5-7600

Memory: 8GB

Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7850 or Equivalent

Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 660 or Equivalent

DirectX: 11

Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Hard Drive

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

This is a trailer, with no gameplay demo ...

But for me, a "Rogue Squadron" level  would be enough.

Of course, X-Wing Alliance gameplay would be great (anyway, a reshoot of XWA using modern technology would be my dream)

Edited by jeanba

Yes, X-Wing Alliance gameplay would be great I don't expect complex ship control like in the Elite Dangerous. Unfortunately...

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

Another appearance of TIE/ins with 181st markings from Legends. Would be cool if Soontir Fel came back.

Wish there was Clone Wars content as well. Nothing like dogfighting in the middle of a battle between dozens or hundreds of capital ships. Plus I just like The Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith more than the original trilogy.

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47

I know it won't happen but I'd like a return to X-Wing / TIE Fighter gameplay like the above posters crave. They tried to give that feeling in some of the Battlefront 2 single player space missions, but were still way more arcade than those games were.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kestrel79 said:

I know it won't happen but I'd like a return to X-Wing / TIE Fighter gameplay like the above posters crave.

Those games are older than I am, but still bloody good. Underrated gems like Republic Commando.

Came here to search or start a thread on this. $40 is a very reasonable amount, though we all know the true investment in our sims is time x1000.

With the current state and incredibly slow development of Star Citizen, Star Wars: Squadrons may scratch an itch I’ve had since I was an 11 year old in a movie theater in 1977. I’ll be curious to see if voice commands are built in or if we have to use Voice Attack.

• Upvote 1

this looks incredible!! really looking forward to the next reveal

I am sorry but nothing beats elegance and  intuitive internal logic of atmospheric flight. In IL-2 you have clear rock-paper-scissors logic of fighter engagement. On the other hand In Star Wars fantasy you only have magic to govern that, which BTW changes from game to game. Also no Star Wars game rewards skills such as smooth, coordinated flying, because you have no drag. So my point is that by definition WW2 combat will be far more engaging, challenging, logical and rewarding.

1 minute ago, Charlo-VR said:

With the current state and incredibly slow development of Star Citizen, Star Wars: Squadrons may scratch an itch I’ve had since I was an 11 year old in a movie theater in 1977. 

i was just thinking the exact same thing haha. 

Just now, WheelwrightPL said:

I am sorry but nothing beats elegance and  intuitive internal logic of atmospheric flight. In IL-2 you have clear rock-paper-scissors logic of fighter engagement. On the other hand In Star Wars fantasy you only have magic to govern that, which BTW changes from game to game. Also no Star Wars game rewards skills such as smooth, coordinated flying, because you have no drag. So my point is that by definition WW2 combat will be far more engaging, challenging, logical and rewarding.

apples and oranges, my man. i think its pretty unfair to compare the two. 

you can like/love both!

• Upvote 3

Sign me up.

Loved x wing and tie fighter so much, played them to death when i was at university 🤣

Doubt the gameplay will be anywhere near as good, but I'm a sucker for starwars stuff🙂

33 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Theres room in my life for dcs, il2 and starwars.....

• Upvote 2

A remake/new "Tie Fighter" would be awesome, but the game in the trailer.....

S!

TIE Fighter remake would be a dream come true. Shall see how this unfolds, propably getting it anyway :D

• Upvote 1

I played all the X Wing TIE Fighter Games, X Wing Alliance etc, and I've hoped for something like an updated version with modern graphics etc, but as it's from EA I'm not holding my breath... I would love to be proved wrong though!

I will watch with interest to see what happens with this one...

• Upvote 3

I miss the X-wing Tie fighter old games. They were a lot of fun.

I'm hyped - I hope it will be almost as simmy as the old x-wing and tie fighter games - than I'll be happy already :)

Sign me up for it! I player X wing Tie fighters games a lot so I wont mind something similar.

It will be in Virtual Reality according to Youtube description.

If they can pull-off fast high-quality graphics on HP Reverb at 90Hz it will be worth a buy.

• Upvote 2

I want a B-wing

• Upvote 3

Ooh! Soontir Fel's 181th Imperial Fighter Wing Interceptors! Damn they look good with those red stripes.

Love the idea of this but can just see it being like the flying part of battlefront: fun for 5 mins but not engaging enough to hold my attention for long.

like others have said, I would love a Tie-fighter remake or even X-Wing,  but seeing this is 5 on 5 multiplayer I’m not not sure it’ll be too in-depth, but rather a simpler war thunder copy.

I hope I’m wrong as I love anything with Star Wars, but EA have disappointed too often with their games.

Posted (edited)

Just as I thought... typical EA game.

''The Mission is Clear – Star Wars: Squadrons is a fully self-contained experience from day one, where you earn rewards through play. Climb the ranks and unlock new components like weapons, hulls, engines, shields, and cosmetic items in a clear path for progression that keeps game play fresh and engaging.'' 

''Keeps game play fresh and engaging''... in real life that equates to 'grinding' the game to progress to fancy pilot uniforms, better engines, shields, etc, etc!

Edited by Trooper117
  • Upvote 1

It could be fun and something to look forward to. As it’s by EA I will temper my expectations accordingly.

Presumably it will be a reskin of the space combat seen in the Battlefront franchise

• Like 1

I am very suspicious about any flightsim/game without both first-person/cockpit as wel as 3rd person views. Most probably the so called cockpit will be no more than some kind of 3D overlay.

As others have mentioned atmospheric flight like in IL-2 GB is most probably far more immersive than battles in outer space can ever be !

My personal bet would be that even EVE-Valkyrie : Warzone will prove more of a sim than this one.

At least in Eve Valkyrie we can setup our own (coop - PVE) battles at least to some extent.

It is not scripted in everything (like I expect this to be).

If Everspace 2 ever gets VR it would surely blow this Star Wars title out of the universe.

But of course there is only 1 true ... "Star Wars universe" franchise.  

The only thing that has me slightly hopeful is the callback to the x wing series controls at 17.

im hopeful but knowing mainstram games im not keeping my hopes too high.

fingers crossed though!

Big Star Wars fan here also.🙂

This game looks great 🙈, only wish some one else other than __ was doing this tho 😞

At a guess, I would expect to see grinding implemented within this titles game play, ..🥕🔓🥕🤑☺️🔓🥕🤪 in hopes to keep some form of interest regardless of the wrapper it's dressed in.

No offense to anyone, just really dislike this type of psychology within a games mechanic. Targeting a Dopamine hit is a really 💩 tty thing to do to people.

If this was developed by say for example.. 1CGS, I would be a much happier customer I think, (no grinding 🔒 or fishing lures, just instant fun with whomever you choose).

I don’t mind having to grind for stuff. Unlocking things through gameplay is a satisfying experience for me, and it’s not out of place in Star Wars. Darth Vader had to grind for his lightsaber after Revenge of the Sith, after all.

6CEAB043-92C0-4F43-B823-C13FC6B57CF7.jpeg.1fc859255f09a4bceb70ab8a5b7d0b65.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, jeanba said:

anyway, a reshoot of XWA using modern technology would be my dream

Check https://xwaupgrade.com/

They now have not only updated models, but also new effects, new backdrops, 3D cockpits with fully-functional authentic displays and TrackIR/VR support!

Edited by Dornil
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The XWZ upgrade team have done a great job.

However, IMHO, XWA update sill looks dated by today's standards unless it gets completely rewritten and I hope that is what EA has done !?

[OTOH CloD TFS 5.0, seems to to feature state-of-the-art visuals and I am more looking forward to that more than a.o. SW: SQ].

Edited by simfan2015

59 minutes ago, Dornil said:

They now have not only updated models, but also new effects, new backdrops, 3D cockpits with fully-functional authentic displays and TrackIR/VR support!

It's been a long time I play it :)

Anyway, it seems that it has been recently upgraded so I will check it 

Thank you for reminding me

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dornil said:

XWA now has VR support? Great! Although I find nothing concerning VR on the site you linked

Are there any extra programmes needed or can it be done with steam vr?

Edited by Eisenfaustus

Watch this video... it shows the difference between the original game and the 2020 version modded.