Sign in to follow this  
cardboard_killer

Joystick Sensitivity

I was watching a noted GB video maker on changing the sensitivity of controls. He said that it was better to leave them as straight a possible. I have my gladiator set at about 36% sensitivity for elevator, and even with that it sometime seems like the barest back-pressure can be too much in one of the sensitive a/c like the Spitfire. It seems to me that my elevator movements in that plane for example, are either micro adjustments or 100%. Is it a bad habit I'm getting into that I have to unlearn? I don't stall often, but I come close a lot!

Posted (edited)

Depends on stick and personal habits IMO.

For comparison, my MSFFB2 is set to 70% for pitch and to 50% for roll and yaw.

For many people this would feel utterly sluggish, but I find it comfortable because (1) I can make very fine adjustments while aiming, (2) I rarely go into a spin after some harsh control movement, and (3) my turning ability is still more limited by G-effects than the responsiveness of my flight stick. 

Edited by sniperton

Posted (edited)

Pardon my lack of knowlege. I too have a MSFFB2. Where and how does one set percentages for pitch, roll, and yaw? Forget my question. I think I figured it out. 

Edited by fliddlesticks
new info

Real flight controls has much more distance between the axis and input itself. So I guess 0% is to sensitive. I would like more configurable options for flight controls, like DCS. I would set a linear soft output for the first 90-95% of stick axis with an abrupt increase for the last 5%-10% just to activate the tail wheel lock. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fliddlesticks said:

Pardon my lack of knowlege. I too have a MSFFB2. Where and how does one set percentages for pitch, roll, and yaw?

Within the program under Settings-->Key Mapping-->Plane Controls. Click on the controller's Input Responses button (looks like a box with a curve on it).

Edited by cardboard_killer

18 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

Within the program under Settings-->Key Mapping-->Plane Controls. Click on the controller's Input Responses button (looks like a box with a curve on it).

Thanks. I love this board. Always someone willing to help.

Posted (edited)

I ran with 0% for a long time, I have a VKB stick and had no problems at all making small aiming adjustments accurately. But I had a lot of trouble accidentally blacking out, especially in British planes. I threw the sensitivity to 100% in pitch just to get the biggest change to test, and suddenly the Spitfire went from "unplayable" to "amazing". I then dialed it back to 75% and that feels good across all planes in all regimes to me. I also trim nose up for combat, so the plane is turning a little anyway and I usually don't need to pull the stick all the way into the area the curve gets steep.

Edited by =X51=VC_