Sign in to follow this  
Bremspropeller

Moar P-38s

I've been wondering if the upcoming BoN map wouldn't warrant more P-38 versions:

An early J would certainly make sense for early-mid '44, while an H would cover the Lightning down to mid'ish 1943.

Now both airplanes would be less capable than the current P-38J-25 (no dive-flaps and no boosted ailerons), but the airplanes were put to good use anyway - several Fighter Groups (8th AF and 9th AF) were equipped with early Js and the 55th was equipped with the H in 1943.

• Like 1

I suspect we can see some older models as collectable airplanes added after BoN is finished.

Regarding J we got in BoBp i tought its beter to have dive flaps and bosted alerons as modification as then it alows it use for earlyer battles, but we got it as default and not removable, but i would still use it in BoN scenarious to be early P-38s in SP or MP.

Same for P-51D if they added tail fin as modification it could also be easy used as early bubble 51.

I thought the dive-flaps and boosted ailerons would have been a nice "mod", too.

But then I found out that the the J-25 was a semi-L with the landing-light in the leading-edge of the left wing, instead of a deployable landing-light, which the earlier Js (and preceeding versions) had.

Therefore, you can't turn the aircraft now into an "early J" by just leaving out those two options.

3 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I thought the dive-flaps and boosted ailerons would have been a nice "mod", too.

But then I found out that the the J-25 was a semi-L with the landing-light in the leading-edge of the left wing, instead of a deployable landing-light, which the earlier Js (and preceeding versions) had.

Therefore, you can't turn the aircraft now into an "early J" by just leaving out those two options.

It would be better then how it will be now, youll have to use J-25 we have. Landing light would be not big problem as having ability to rll or avoid compresability that you didnt have in that era.

The early P-38J was an essential airframe for pre D-day allied flight-operations.

You can't just leave out the mods, you'll have to adress the 3d-model, introducing the retractable landing-light.