Sign in to follow this  
sevenless

VVS A-20G Havoc

Jason have on some occasions said no, but that was related to Bodenplatte. 
There is no such plans for Normandy. I guess it will come if PtO do

I can imagine it could be created as a collector plane, specificly the russian version.
Would be interesting and would generate some money for the company 

• Upvote 1

Always a possibility to become a collectors plane... they did it for the Yaks and the Hurri!... I'd buy it.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 76IAP-Black said:

I can imagine it could be created as a collector plane, specificly the russian version.
Would be interesting and would generate some money for the company 

Yep absolutely, since it also saw service in Normandy and the ETO. Well this one (SN 43-9502) of the 644th Bomb Squadron, 410th Bomb Group, 9th Air Force didn´t have that much luck over Rouen

Douglas-A-20G-30-DO-Havoc-SN-43-9502.-644th-Bomb-Squadron-410th-Bomb-Group-9th-Air-Force-1024x816 (1).jpg

84633082_869358503486603_5958090373849690257_n.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Edited by sevenless

I would build an A-20G russian version out of the one we have right now and sell it as collector plane.
Later i would use the russian version for an all american A-20G in a full GB series PTO or MTO scenario.

It would generate money 2 times, safe one time the development cost for the western allied plane and would make many people happy!

One of the best choices out there for il2 GB 

The A-20G-1 is the closest to the one we have already modeled. With four Hispano Cannon it would be a good contrast to the Mosquito.

The Boston III is also very similar to the A-20 already modeled, but would have a slightly different armament and be very common on the Normandy map (being the main British day bomber over the Channel in 1942-1943).

It would be great to have a variant pack someday that added both of these variants along with a few missions for each. It could be part of a mid-war '1942' expansion pack that would also add the Fw-190A4, Mustang Mk.1 (i.e. the cannon armed P-51), an early Spit IX ...and possibly a couple of bombers (the Do-217, and Il-4 come to mind)...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

To me it would be a novelty. Ok to have. As for now all we get , got to be delivered from low level except the A 20 we got. No modern allied bomber with ability to levelbomb. 
Axis only have to stay in medium altitude and wait. If this came on the cost of a player B25 or 26 

I personally would have plain out given up. 
removed this game and moved on. Then it never would be any hope for anything else than dogfight server. I personally are fed up flying low with ordonance being a fat target. And thst is what this is

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

26 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

To me it would be a novelty. Ok to have. As for now all we get , got to be delivered from low level except the A 20 we got. No modern allied bomber with ability to levelbomb. 
Axis only have to stay in medium altitude and wait. If this came on the cost of a player B25 or 26 

I personally would have plain out given up. 
removed this game and moved on. Then it never would be any hope for anything else than dogfight server. I personally are fed up flying low with ordonance being a fat target. And thst is what this is

What about the Pe-2 (and the German bombers)?

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

What about the Pe-2 (and the German bombers)?

The HE 111 tricked me into believing we would have a development in that department. It is really the only true levelbomber we have. PE 2 is still my favorite on allied side. It got sort of a bombaim pit. I am not saying everything is bad in my point of view. But there seems to be bleak chances for my type of game play. 
But firtunately the other brand just got channel map and a pretty awesome p 47 

It is not like I havent got anything to do

Lot's of differences between the two variants. Not so easy.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This would be an instant sale on my part... Also a B-26 Marauder. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Also usefull in anti-shipping strikes in the PTO. You know you want it 😉

Douglas A-20G-30-DO Havoc/43-9477 “Tobias the Terrible” of the 89th BS/3rd BG/5th AF, pulls out after skip bombing the Japanese ship Taiei Maru off Wewak, March 19, 1944.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/a-20/89th-bs-a-20g-43-9477-tobias-the-terrible-blasts-japanese-ship-taiei-maru/

A-20G 43-9477 „Tobias the Terrible” from 89th BS blasts Japanese ship Taiei Maru

http://www.forgottenprops.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/douglas_a20_havoc/douglas_a20_havoc.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

Also usefull in anti-shipping strikes in the PTO. You know you want it 😉

Douglas A-20G-30-DO Havoc/43-9477 “Tobias the Terrible” of the 89th BS/3rd BG/5th AF, pulls out after skip bombing the Japanese ship Taiei Maru off Wewak, March 19, 1944.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/a-20/89th-bs-a-20g-43-9477-tobias-the-terrible-blasts-japanese-ship-taiei-maru/

A-20G 43-9477 „Tobias the Terrible” from 89th BS blasts Japanese ship Taiei Maru

http://www.forgottenprops.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/douglas_a20_havoc/douglas_a20_havoc.html

Amazing photos, really shows how dangerous their missions were.

10 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

WANT!!!

Seconded

I’ve got a project ready to plug it into.

• Upvote 2

The A20G doesn't add much to the game. It's "just" another heavy fighter bomber/attack aircraft. A medium level bomber for western allies would be more useful for overall gameplay, i.e. A20C Boston III or B25 Mitchell.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

The A20G doesn't add much to the game. It's "just" another heavy fighter bomber/attack aircraft. A medium level bomber for western allies would be more useful for overall gameplay, i.e. A20C Boston III or B25 Mitchell.

This is correct in so many ways. Personally I feel B 25 with a levelbomber capacity would be perfect. Personally I wish for the B 26  With only a added bombardiercockpit and ai gunners if a turret is too much to ask for. But B 25 can get a added fire power in the front. I do not mind a more modern German bomber too. But as it stand now Allied is in more need, and the Ju 88 and 111 H 16 is adequate for late war together with Arado. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Variety is the spice of life... That is why Il2 1946 lasted so long and has so many mods. Stagnation of any game means people will move on quicker and that would be a shame for such a great sim.  

16 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Hello Sir,

Are we speaking about the Boston III? Or the A-20G-1? Or a later A-20G?

I believe that almost everyone here (>98% of us)  under-estimate how difficult an even almost identical aircraft is to realise in the sim. But we were discussing three variants in this thread... each one more removed from the A-20 we have in the sim. A Boston III might be easier? Also, how much harder would a completely new bomber be relative to each of these variants? I'm simply curious at this point.

It'd be a fascinating question to have answered in an interview... 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

i.e. A20C Boston III or B25 Mitchell.

Nope. Definatively not. Have no interest in those, except for being there as clay pigeons like all other level bombers. As AI only I don´t mind them but as a flyable that has to be something as A-20 G or Mossie VI.

Only flyable B25 I would be interested in is this:

b25-434106-5.jpg

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:22 AM, sevenless said:

Only flyable B25 I would be interested in is this:

The 75mm gun wasn't used too much - due to lack of suitable targets. Most ships were attacked by skip-bombing.

A modded strafer-nose B-25 or a B-25J with the strafer-mods would be a bit more suitable.

The stubby-nosed version as a mod would be cool, though!

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one who thinks we need the A-26?  Performed both low level and medium level bombing roles well, and began replacing the A20 and B26 in SEP44 in ETO.  Matches up perfectly with BoBP, and a good add-on for post D-Day in BoN.  However....  I recognize that it would be hard to justify against all the other priorities.  Understand that the nose armed A-20s are more than just an easy variant, but hope we can get there someday.  Tired of P-38s and 47s doing all the work on CB.