Sign in to follow this  
Ptolemy_Soter

P-47D-23-RA for Battle of Normandy

Hello everyone !

While doing some research about our future Razorback Thunderbolt, I figured out that the D-22-RE we're going to have is very similar to the D-23-RA.

The only difference between these two blocks is the propeller.

D-22-RE had an Hamilton Standard propeller while the D-23-RA had a Curtiss Electric one.

The Curtiss Electric C542S propeller is already modeled in-game. It is fitted to the D-28 block we have in Bodenplatte.

Adding the possibility to switch between these two propellers would add another plane to BoN.

We already have two in one aircrafts. The Fw 190 A-8 and F-8, the I-16 Type 24 and 28, or the Ju-87 D-3 and G-1 are some exemples.

Would there be any difference in performance, or would it just be cosmetic?

Propellers are of the same same diameter. Perhaps there is a slight difference but I'm note sure at all.

What is sure is that it is the only difference between them.

I think there is some difference since the P-47 used 4 different type of propellers.

"The last of the four is the 13' Curtiss Asymetrical Propeller.(G5+G6)
The distinctive shape of the blades makes this one stand out from the other Curtiss props.
Heres two examples fitted to D-28-RA's."

Here is a link about it.

http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=128328

Here is more info 

12' 2" Curtiss Electric "tooth pick", blade N° 714 (B, C, D & G)

12' 2" Curtiss Electric "tooth pick", blade N° C2721200 (a bit wider than 714) (B, C, D & G)

13' Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with symmetrical blades P-47D-15 and also P-47M's and N's, blade N° 836

13'7/8" Hamilton Standard paddle blade prop fitted to P-47D22re/25re/27re, blade N° 6501

13' Curtiss Electric asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade 6501A-D

12' 2" AO Smith asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade N° SPA3

12' 2" AO Smith asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade N° SPA5

these blades were not interchangeable always between them, according to the propeller hub

the propeller hub B,C,D & G could be fitted with blade N°714,(hub N° C542S-A4; C542S-A22, C542S-A34; C542S-A10)

Blade 836: hub C542S-A114 (D) and C642S-B40 (M & N)

Blade 6507 Hamilton: hub 24E50

for AO Smith blades, I don't now the version of C542S hub

these propellers are fitted on the P-47 versions according to the batches, what is the serial number which interest you?

But, as Mike wrote " frequently when aircraft were damaged or to upgrade performance", this P47, 44-19776, was seen with 386 fitted in factory then AOS

The distinctive marking of AOS and Curtiss blade asymmetrical are two yellow narrow stripes near the yellow tip for AOS and only one for Curtiss

On the orginal pic, we can guess these two stripes.

The better is to have several picture of the same a/c.

44-19711.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989098-curtiss-prop-p-47-question/

Different prop than what we already have in-game (we have the 12' A.O. Smith prop) and different performance than the Hamilton prop. To have the Curtis we would need a different flight model imo.

I like the Hamilton - it looks best imho.

I'd like the Hamilton on the D-28, too.

I'd also like 150 octane fuel on both the -22 and -28.

I'd buy a late-war P-47D-30 or M collector's model with all the performance mods and the ability to launch HVARs.

3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I like the Hamilton - it looks best imho.

I'd like the Hamilton on the D-28, too.

Be careful with your wishes:
"Beginning with production blocks D-22-RE and D-23-RA, a larger (13- foot diameter) paddle-bladed propeller (either a Hamilton Standard Hydromatic 24E50-65 or a Curtiss Electric C542S) was fitted to make full use of the additional power provided by water injection. It added 400 feet per minute to the climb rate, but during landings and takeoffs there was only a scant six inches of clearance between blade tips and the ground. Takeoffs and landings must have both been hair-raising. "
http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p47_4.html

Nice details here:
http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47-2.html

http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47-R2800.html

Never seen any direct confirmation on the reason to introduce the AO Smith-blades - was it a further improved performance or (at least partly) the need to shorten the blades? The need to take off and land in a more or less perfect 3-point-landing-configuration was not that ideal for front-line service.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Retnek said:

but during landings and takeoffs there was only a scant six inches of clearance between blade tips and the ground. Takeoffs and landings must have both been hair-raising.

Depends on the weight and the pressure in the oleo struts.

I can live with that limitation - I have never been a big fan of pushed-over "two wheelers" - neither in real life, nor in any sim.

I'd rather assume a slight tail-low attitude, even when two-wheeling.

w-395-mohn-barron-kikcrew.jpg

w-395-kik-wb-1.jpg

w-397-p47-d3-z-v-a3.jpg

Edited by Bremspropeller