BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XVI

Hello!

I didn't write last week because there was no time to prepare and I didn't want to make it a pure formality. I ask you to understand because sometimes work is too much. But I have time this week.

Some of you know we have released a new system for the collection and processing of statistics for ROF. This prototype allows us to debug this idea as well as determine its weaknesses. The good news is it works. This means that we were able to combine servers, which are open the players and have a unified system of data collection. The system is large and complex with your performance is immediately recorded not only on the game server but at the server of general statistics. In the future this will allow us to respond to some problem almost immediately. In fact, we can monitor any action in any mission on the servers and have the possibility to change the player???

ju87d3_1.jpg

ju87d3_2.jpg

ju87d3_3.jpg

ju87d3_4.jpg

ju87d3_5.jpg

ju87d3_6b.jpg

Are the current plane pics seen in the dev updates taken 'in situ' in the engine, or over a render backdrop? I.e. are the clouds/atmospheric conditions representative of what we'll see at release? Or will separate pictures show-case these?

Are the current plane pics seen in the dev updates taken 'in situ' in the engine, or over a render backdrop? I.e. are the clouds/atmospheric conditions representative of what we'll see at release? Or will separate pictures show-case these?

Screens made in the engine but this is all WIP.

Tx for the update, I dont mind at all skipping weeks because it means the updates are real updates, not just fluff.

On the question of Lufberry manoeuvre, speak to Buddye at the BDG. He implemented it for the Bf110 in BoB2 very successfully.

But as a defensive manoeuvre it sucks. All an attacker needs to beat it is altitude and speed. Rear gunners are, or should be, generally poor at hitting fast moving fighters.

Edited by heinkill

Tx for the update, I dont mind at all skipping weeks because it means the updates are real updates, not just fluff.

On the question of Lufberry manoeuvre, speak to Buddye at the BDG. He implemented it for the Bf110 in BoB2 very successfully.

But as a defensive manoeuvre it sucks. All an attacker needs to beat it is altitude and speed. Rear gunners are, or should be, generally poor at hitting fast moving fighters.

This is thae same way that I fee:.

Thanks for the update. The Ju-87 looks very good indeed, and the bump mapping to the landscape is very exciting to see.

Hope you enjoy the holidays. I'd very much like to see the Volga too.

Very good update.  Things that impress:

1)  Sky color/hue looks very good.  It just looks "real".  Every shot appears to be a different hue, yet I have seen each hue of the sky looking just like that...  A lot of subtle things going on there...

2)  Clouds look very believable.  I always thought that ROF clounds looked "cartoony", but I haven't followed that sim much - perhaps they've evolved quite a bit...

3)  Plane exterior representation is fantastic.  If it's not a good as COD, I can't tell.  Certainly looks like IL-2 + 10 years.  Very nice indeed.

4)  Really enjoyed seeing some snow and trees.  Very well done...  I was almost there, feeling the sting of cold air, biting my nostrels as I breathed in...  It "looks cold"...

Again, nice job.  Keep the screenshots coming.

Edited by Caveman
  • Upvote 2

It's obvious they "have a plan"...  They are sticking to core functionality, with "big plans" later...  That's good to see.  I think we'll have a reasonably solid sim on release for them to build a following on, to create a massively epic sim over the lifespan of the product.  I like the fact that they are clear on thngs that won't be included and things that could later on.  Its just a good, solid approach to development...  When the foundation is right, it can all come together.  They had to have learned a lot with ROF and combined with CLOD folks, I think they'll get additional ideas to leverage.  Just have a good feeling on this one...

Awesome!

btw.... Winter is coming! 

:P

I also appreciate that all screenshots are with normal light level - not darkened too look better, you know what I mean...   ;)

Edited by Opitz

Blacksix said:

Screens made in the engine but this is all WIP.

I was hoping they were - excellent! he cloud looks good, let's hope they dont need scaling back for release because of performance issues (or should be a standard slider option)

Thanks for update.  Nice Ju 87 !

Some of you know we have released a new system for the collection and processing of statistics for ROF. This prototype allows us to debug this idea as well as determine its weaknesses. The good news is it works. This means that we were able to combine servers, which are open the players and have a unified system of data collection. The system is large and complex with your performance is immediately recorded not only on the game server but at the server of general statistics. In the future this will allow us to respond to some problem almost immediately. In fact, we can monitor any action in any mission on the servers and have the possibility to change the player???

Edited by Mustang

The second German fighter is Gustav - nice :)

And while the terrain is still WIP - the normal mapping as seen in one of the screenshots looks good. It adds to the overall feel of height.

And while the terrain is still WIP - the normal mapping as seen in one of the screenshots looks good. It adds to the overall feel of height.

OK...am I missing something?  I only see six pics of a Stuka?  Where's the Yak-1 and Bf-109G2?  Is he referencing earlier updates?

OK...am I missing something?  I only see six pics of a Stuka?  Where's the Yak-1 and Bf-109G2?  Is he referencing earlier updates?

I think he's just confirming which particular versions of the aircraft are being modelled.

A beautiful 3D model of the JU-87

Continue like this  :salute:

I've said it before ( and will probably say it again:) love the screenshots ...in particualar these of the Dors,the prettiest(/) version of a purposely ugly bird! :angry:

More good news - Blacksix confirmed to me in another thread that the screenshots are 'in engine', not a render background.

For 'head in the clouds' types such as myself, good news.

Ben

S!

Nice update, the Stuka looked very nice. Enjoy the holidays and waiting for the pics after them :) Have a nice weekend all!

Excellent update, Im getting impatient already . Is that snow covered terrain on the 2nd shot?

Hmmmm those shots are in game huh? Is there sime kind of matte feature for the screenshots to texturize them to make them look like photographs in there.... :)

Very interesting update re the data collection etc.

Stuka looking very nice.

The project is starting to get exciting!  Looking forward to the release.

Enjoy Volgograd/Stalingrad.  

Yes that's in the engine. In one shot you can see the new bump mapping effect for the snowy terrain. Glad you guys like the pics.

Jason

The pics look Clod / Cod ish. Great job! In game. 

That statistical analysis part is a good start for future complex MP implementation and also can be used to catch cheaters. :D

The vision answer was a bit ambiguous, but I can see taking it step by step, thinking about what is directly in front of you (intial release) instead of a few km away and around the corners. The theaters of WW 2 are immense and so many directions can be taken once the original game is a solid hit. 

Awesome!

btw.... Winter is coming! 

:P

I also appreciate that all screenshots are with normal light level - not darkened too look better, you know what I mean...   ;)

I agree

Stark-Winter-is-Coming-Game-of-Thrones-1

Yes that's in the engine. In one shot you can see the new bump mapping effect for the snowy terrain. Glad you guys like the pics.

Jason

Bump files add a lot to the immersion of maps. It gives a kind of 3D effect to ground textures.

In the past I added a lot of bump files to the good old IL2 maps. Works great!

Question related to this:

What is the size of the landscape textures and its bump files?

1024x1024, 2048x2048 or even 4096x4096?

Yes, Buddye did a fantastic job for the AI in BoB2. But I have the feeling, he will not be contacted by the devs. ;)

Jason, the planes and tanks are looking amazing.  I hope this is the beginning of a new era in CFS's!