My IL2 Dark Blue World VR (Oculus Rift S) settings

kraut1

Hey there Kraut, do you know where i can find a tutorial on how to make 1946 with my Rift S? 

I have no idea how to mod this sim but all I want is to do some carrier landings.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:53 AM, SAG said:

Hey there Kraut, do you know where i can find a tutorial on how to make 1946 with my Rift S? 

I have no idea how to mod this sim but all I want is to do some carrier landings.

Hi SAG,

please follow my link to SAS and read it.

There are 2 links to posts by UberDemon (he uses il2 1946 with Mod B.A.T.):

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62928.0.html

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,63030.0.html

I am sorry, I don`t have experience with an unmmoded version with Oculus Rift-S.

If I should find further Information I will report.

Best regards.

Anmerkung 2020-05-31 113342.png

Edited by kraut1
mistake corrected
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:53 AM, SAG said:

I just have installed IL2 with steam for testing and it works with VorpX and Oculus Rift-S.

But i tested it only for 5minutes so I don`t know ift it is good but it works in general.

Best regards

11 hours ago, kraut1 said:

Hi SAG,

please follow my link to SAS and read it.

There are 2 links to posts by UberDemon (he uses il2 1946 with Mod B.A.T.):

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62928.0.html

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,63030.0.html

I am sorry, I don`t have experience with an unmmoded version with Oculus Rift-S.

If I should find further Information I will report.

Best regards.

Anmerkung 2020-05-31 113342.png

Hey there Kraut,

Thanks for the info. I've managed to get VorpX working, I'm just lost on how to calibrate it because right now some items seem to only be rendered on one eye and some other wierd stuff. Maybe thats just a limitation of VorpX I don't know. 

I would like to make the picture more "natural" but ill take what i can get.

I'm happy with it right now though and yesterday I had my first carrier landings in 12 years!

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:52 PM, SAG said:

Hey there Kraut,

Thanks for the info. I've managed to get VorpX working, I'm just lost on how to calibrate it because right now some items seem to only be rendered on one eye and some other wierd stuff. Maybe thats just a limitation of VorpX I don't know. 

I would like to make the picture more "natural" but ill take what i can get.

I'm happy with it right now though and yesterday I had my first carrier landings in 12 years!

Hi SAG,

fine that it works but you have still issues with 1946 / VorpX.

I can not help you directly but here some suggestions:

-After testing il2 1946 with v4.12.2m, v4.13.4m (steam), il2 Mod DBW, and IL2 Mod B.A.T. it seems to me that the stereoscopic quality of objects on the ground is better when using the Modded version. So I would suggest to try out B.A.T. version "V3.6 THE BLITZ" or "V3.7  THE GRAND CIRQUE". V3.8 you can try later but I have not tested with VorpX.

Another advantage of B.A.T. (and DBW) is the better quality of many default cockpits.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,264.0.html

-If you have issues with centering the Tracking:

I am using for tracking opentrack (free tracking software) and VorpX simultaneously, and for re-centering I am using the same key (RETURN) for both programs that I have mapped on a Joystick Button.

-issues with the gun sight (stereoscopic issue / creating nausea): I have observed this in the P39 Airacobra and Wild or Hellcat: you can try to move your head / seat closer to the sight, this improves the situation.

-My Game Resolution:
According VorpX Custom Resolutions I have defined with my Nvidia Control Panel 2304x1440 and added that to my (IL2) conf.ini
If you have Problems with that you can try 1920x1080Resolutions. FOV in IL2  for these resolutions: widescreen or 85degree.

Suitable Planes of IL2 1946:

-first try out single engine / one seater planes (fighters/fighter bombers) like F4F Wildcat, Hellcat, Zero, BF109, Spitfire ... The reason is that everytime when your rear gunner shoots with his MG there is some "flickering on the screen". When flying bigger multi engine planes the 1024x1024 standard res. of the skins is sometimes not sufficient for VR.

-you can install alternative skins of better quality in your Skin folders, example for a Zero:

\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\PaintSchemes\Skins\A6M5

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,102.0.html

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,104.0.html

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&c=143

Best regards

Edited by kraut1
wrong comment deleted

2 hours ago, kraut1 said:

Hi SAG,

fine that it works but you have still issues with 1946 / VorpX.

I can not help you directly but here some suggestions:

-After testing il2 1946 with v4.12.2m, v4.13.4m (steam), il2 Mod DBW, and IL2 Mod B.A.T. it seems to me that the stereoscopic quality of objects on the ground is better when using the Modded version. So I would suggest to try out B.A.T. version "V3.6 THE BLITZ" or "V3.7  THE GRAND CIRQUE". V3.8 you can try later but I have not tested with VorpX.

Another advantage of B.A.T. (and DBW) is the better quality of many default cockpits.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,264.0.html

For B.A.T. with VR do not actvate "#WAW_00-PALsVisualMOD9-v4122": It`s a great mod for gaming with Monitor but it may create issues with VR (I have not tested that by myself).

-If you have issues with centering the Tracking:

I am using for tracking opentrack (free tracking software) and VorpX simultaneously, and for re-centering I am using the same key (RETURN) for both programs that I have mapped on a Joystick Button.

-issues with the gun sight (stereoscopic issue / creating nausea): I have observed this in the P39 Airacobra and Wild or Hellcat: you can try to move your head / seat closer to the sight, this improves the situation.

-My Game Resolution:
According VorpX Custom Resolutions I have defined with my Nvidia Control Panel 2304x1440 and added that to my (IL2) conf.ini
If you have Problems with that you can try 1920x1080Resolutions. FOV in IL2  for these resolutions: widescreen or 85degree.

Suitable Planes of IL2 1946:

-first try out single engine / one seater planes (fighters/fighter bombers) like F4F Wildcat, Hellcat, Zero, BF109, Spitfire ... The reason is that everytime when your rear gunner shoots with his MG there is some "flickering on the screen". When flying bigger multi engine planes the 1024x1024 standard res. of the skins is sometimes not sufficient for VR.

-you can install alternative skins of better quality in your Skin folders, example for a Zero:

\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\PaintSchemes\Skins\A6M5

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,102.0.html

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,104.0.html

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&c=143

Best regards

Thanks again Kraut,

I have installed BAT mod up until the latest version. i see there is a jsgme (mod enabler) with. Lot of mods, should I just enable them all except the ones that you wrote about on you previous post?

22 hours ago, SAG said:

Thanks again Kraut,

I have installed BAT mod up until the latest version. i see there is a jsgme (mod enabler) with. Lot of mods, should I just enable them all except the ones that you wrote about on you previous post?

Hello SAG,

As I have written I am using V3.7 so I don`t know all available mods in V3.8.

From my point of view if you want to fly world war 2 planes the relevant mods are beginning with #WAW... and DEF-SKIES_#WAW3 (this only if there are issues with the sky /clouds).

In my current B.A.T. I had some unknown issues so I have only activated 1Mod: #WAW_00_BAT_EngSMOKES&FLAMES.

I hope that your B.A.T. installation works well now.

If there some issues, maybe:

-if there are general issues with settings (graphics,...) or if there appear pink planes:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53691.0.html

on this page search for:

SETUP AND CHECK YOUR INSTALL:

there are important infos concerning the

1] CONF.ini

and concerning

2] HIGH DEFINITION DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY - BATDLLS-01 OR BATDLLS-02?

Best Regards

Edited by kraut1
wrong comments about BAT V3.8 deleted
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SAG said:

Thanks again Kraut,

Hello SAG,

I have tested B.A.T. V3.8 with the 3 patches without the additional Mods with VorpX / and Oculus Rift-S. It worked well!

The number of the Additional Mods in JSGME is in 3.8 reduced. In my Test I did not activated them.

Best regards

12 hours ago, kraut1 said:

Hello SAG,

I have tested B.A.T. V3.8 with the 3 patches without the additional Mods with VorpX / and Oculus Rift-S. It worked well!

The number of the Additional Mods in JSGME is in 3.8 reduced. In my Test I did not activated them.

Best regards

It works well for me too, except from a couple of things and I would like to know if you have the same issues. if you have the time! :)

1. some ground items only render on one eye at certain distances. do you get this as well? for example:i tried it in the carrierd landing misison 2 for the corsair and the piers and other ground units don't tender correctly.

2. I cant get the higher resolutions to work, the game crashes on startup. How do you set up a custom resultion without changing your entire computers resolution? thats the only way I can get the game to launch is by doing that but then my desktop becomes tiny and i cant read it.

3, Finally, i seemed to be able to make the "screen"  cover my FOV horizontally, but I still get the two black lines on the top and bottom of my FOV.

Finally, thanks again Kraut! I now have 8 hours put into the game and that has only been practicing carrier landings!

15 hours ago, SAG said:

It works well for me too, except from a couple of things and I would like to know if you have the same issues. if you have the time! :)

1. some ground items only render on one eye at certain distances. do you get this as well? for example:i tried it in the carrierd landing misison 2 for the corsair and the piers and other ground units don't tender correctly.

2. I cant get the higher resolutions to work, the game crashes on startup. How do you set up a custom resultion without changing your entire computers resolution? thats the only way I can get the game to launch is by doing that but then my desktop becomes tiny and i cant read it.

3, Finally, i seemed to be able to make the "screen"  cover my FOV horizontally, but I still get the two black lines on the top and bottom of my FOV.

Finally, thanks again Kraut! I now have 8 hours put into the game and that has only been practicing carrier landings!

Hello SAG,

sorry, I don`t have much time today, but I try to answer:

your point :

1:) I tried this mission for 1minute first impression is good, no issues with the piers

-question: are you using VorpX and opentrack simulteneaously as I do?

-have  you optimized your  conf.ini? (do always backups for each change), I published a link with infos (SAS BAT Page) on monday

-which game profile in VorpX do you use for IL2?

2.) have you first created the custom resolution with you NVIDEA software?

3.)FOV: same as on my computer but acceptable for me. maybe you contact UberDemon on SAS page (I published 2 links to him)

Sorry today I have no more time

Best regards

8 hours ago, kraut1 said:

Hello SAG,

sorry, I don`t have much time today, but I try to answer:

your point :

1:) I tried this mission for 1minute first impression is good, no issues with the piers

-question: are you using VorpX and opentrack simulteneaously as I do?

-have  you optimized your  conf.ini? (do always backups for each change), I published a link with infos (SAS BAT Page) on monday

-which game profile in VorpX do you use for IL2?

2.) have you first created the custom resolution with you NVIDEA software?

3.)FOV: same as on my computer but acceptable for me. maybe you contact UberDemon on SAS page (I published 2 links to him)

Sorry today I have no more time

Best regards

Don't say sorry, you have been very helpful already!

1: I use the IL2 1946 that you can get through "cloud profiles" when i get the problem with the objects not rendering correctly. I have also tried with the "Quake" profile and change the executable to Il2, that fixes the piers that one gives me extreme stutters with headtrcking. I do use Opentrack with Vorpx like you.

2: I have created the resolutions on Nvidia control panel but the game always reverts to 1550x855 no matter if I make Conf.ini read only. 

3: I think I can do this if only i can get the custom resolution to work.

Seriously, Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, SAG said:

Don't say sorry, you have been very helpful already!

1: I use the IL2 1946 that you can get through "cloud profiles" when i get the problem with the objects not rendering correctly. I have also tried with the "Quake" profile and change the executable to Il2, that fixes the piers that one gives me extreme stutters with headtrcking. I do use Opentrack with Vorpx like you.

2: I have created the resolutions on Nvidia control panel but the game always reverts to 1550x855 no matter if I make Conf.ini read only. 

3: I think I can do this if only i can get the custom resolution to work.

Seriously, Thank you so much!

Hello SAG,

I think I found the reason for the graphic quality issues. It`s the conf.ini.

First backup your conf.ini and copy it to a safe place.

open conf.ini and replace the Render OpenGL settings:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=1
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=1
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=4
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

In the unmodded il2 versions I had similar issues like you but now I copyed the settings from my BAT conf.ini and now the graphic quality is much more better.

Best regards

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your help Kraut, I think that i'm just going to leave it as it is. you helped me solve moost of my problems, I'll just learn to live with the low resolution haha.