WWBayonet

Why no Night Witch Love?

I purchased the PO-2 and thought it might be immersive to play a career as a Night Witch on full real, and really test my navigation skills.  To my dismay, there are no Female pilot options and neither the 588th nor the 46th Taman Regiment are listed in the order of battle.  One would think that if you were using this phrase to sell the plane, that the Heroines in question would be represented.  "It was used by the famous all female "Night Witches" of the 46th Guards night bomber regiment which harassed German troops when the sun went down."  I expected at least a "Marina Raskova".

• Like 1

Short answer: return on investment

Hate to say it but in PWCG it's all men as well.  To do women justice I would need pictures, separate name files, special logic around female vs male replacements, etc.  Then add the ability to become a female pilot with all of the option handling and book keeping that entails.  As with all things software, it could be done, but how much time and money do you want to spend on handling an edge case that maybe 10 people care about. 

I don't know about in game career mode but I suspect it would take me at least 20 hours to properly accommodate female pilots in PWCG.  Multiply 20 times hourly salary and overhead and that's how many extra PO2s would have to be sold to justify doing it.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, WWBayonet said:

I purchased the PO-2 and thought it might be immersive to play a career as a Night Witch on full real, and really test my navigation skills.  To my dismay, there are no Female pilot options and neither the 588th nor the 46th Taman Regiment are listed in the order of battle.  One would think that if you were using this phrase to sell the plane, that the Heroines in question would be represented.  "It was used by the famous all female "Night Witches" of the 46th Guards night bomber regiment which harassed German troops when the sun went down."  I expected at least a "Marina Raskova".

Well this should be interesting for you:

Thanks for your replies.  I just found it peculiar that developers so historically oriented, didn't follow up on this one.  If there's one thing this sim teaches me, it's the Soviet side of WW2.  Whatever, I'm still enjoying my campaign.  Lol, I use "Hey google, set a timer for X mins" to assist in Mental Dead Reckoning navigation.

Well, they were flown by men as well as women... but the developer (as mentioned above) is hoping to introduce female aircrews... and would even add the Li-2 if it seemed financially feasible.

Oddly, the U2VS seems to be the only Soviet non-bomber in the new patch that doesn't have a working pistol (which prevents pistol-only duels!) - it might be waiting for them to implement female aircrews though! We could also do with a few He-111 night fighter units to chase us in the campaigns. I started making such a mission but I'm still learning the mission editor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WWBayonet said:

Thanks for your replies.  I just found it peculiar that developers so historically oriented, didn't follow up on this one.  If there's one thing this sim teaches me, it's the Soviet side of WW2.  Whatever, I'm still enjoying my campaign.  Lol, I use "Hey google, set a timer for X mins" to assist in Mental Dead Reckoning navigation.

Please read what I have written on the subject and was suggested to you above? We are not ignoring female pilots of the U-2.

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Please read what I have written on the subject and was suggested to you above? We are not ignoring female pilots of the U-2.

Jason

Jason,

My hat is off to you.  I only read the forum and have no skin in the game (such as you do.)  I have tried to accustom myself to the continuous complaining, ranting and negativity that I see across the forum's spectrum.  You, however, seem to be grounded.  Please keep up the good work.  It is appreciated by myself and, I am confident, by others.  Thank you for being yourself.

Tom

Edited by photog95661
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, photog95661 said:

Jason,

My hat is off to you.  I only read the forum and have no skin in the game (such as you do.)  I have tried to accustom myself to the continuous complaining, ranting and negativity that I see across the forum's spectrum.  You, however, seem to be grounded.  Please keep up the good work.  It is appreciated by myself and, I am confident, by others.  Thank you for being yourself.

Tom

It must be exhausting.

OP is "dismayed" that there are no female pilot models, really? It doesn't even affect any of the gameplay. You can imagine that under that cap and goggles there is a Russian lady ffs.

• Upvote 1

The Po-2 needs to be properly modelled in game so it can take of and land from improvised areas close behind the frontlines and not get bogged down in invisible mud as soon as it stops moving.  For a Collector's Plane, the implementation is not very good at all. 

26 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The Po-2 needs to be properly modelled in game so it can take of and land from improvised areas close behind the frontlines and not get bogged down in invisible mud as soon as it stops moving.  For a Collector's Plane, the implementation is not very good at all. 

And pleeeease devs, make the bombsight useable. U-2 crews did not aim their bombs by guessing the release point.

• Upvote 1