Which one do I get?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Of the Three. Which one do I get. And WHy?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/20/20 at 01:00 AM

Got them all.

Hard to tell since they're not out but if I had to choose between the 3 I probably wouldnt get the Hurricane if you're looking for the most powerful one.

The 9T will have insane firepower but will be a bit slower and heavyer than the 9.

• Like 1

If you only can get one, the Hurricane offers the most diversity compared to what has already been offered in other plane sets.

I bought all of them because reasons and if I don't spend the money, my wife will!

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Hurricane - Because 40mm

Yak 9T - Because 37mm

Yak 9 - nope

I'm 99% sure there won't be any 40mm. Where have you seen that?

What we saw were 20mm guns that will make the plane even slower and kill it's only decent feature and that is it's maneuvrability.

The Hurri was awfully outdated at the beginning of the war with terrible firepower (303s) and speed.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
  • Sad 1

All three.  If I was to only get one it would be the Hurricane, but that's just preference.  I have everything,  I love this sim and it's a small team.  I don't know when I will get around to flying these planes or even if I will, but I get enough enjoyment from the product as a whole that it is worth supporting.  

5 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Got them all.

Hard to tell since they're not out but if I had to choose between the 3 I probably wouldnt get the Hurricane if you're looking for the most powerful one.

The 9T will have insane firepower but will be a bit slower and heavyer than the 9.

Purely from threads here, but my understanding is that the performance difference between the 9 and 9T borders on indistinguishable.  It's really do you want to trade off ammo and velocity for a large shell.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
6 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

What we saw were 20mm guns that will make the plane even slower and kill it's only decent feature and that is it's maneuvrability.

The Hurri was awfully outdated at the beginning of the war with terrible firepower (303s) and speed.

Big-badda-boom

Cheers

P

Edited by pfrances

For variety, I'd say the Hurricane since there is already several models of the Yak. 

If you need a Yak, go with the T to have something that sets it apart from the others in terms of armament. The plain ol' Yak 9 is just too much of the same for me to be really interested. I think they should have sold the Yak 9s as a package, but that is another discussion. 

17 minutes ago, [TDH]Meankitty731 said:

Which plane has everyone pre-ordered? Trying to make my choice between the 3 right nowūü§™

I pre-ordered them all ūüėĄ¬†i needed a fix until the Me 410 comes around ūüėĄ

12 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Big-badda-boom

Cheers

P

Was expecting those to be rare. I had no idea the Soviet got some of these ūüėē

I'd be curious to know how many they got. It shouldnt be that interesting to use exept if you want to make this slow ass plane useful and turn it into an Il-2.

I pre-ordered all of them, because I am a big eastfront fan. 

If you have to decide for only one of them, then I suggest you to take the Hurri. You can fly it in BoM and BoS and it will come with a vast array of different configurations incl. 4x20mm and maybe even 2x40mm.

https://vvsairwar.com/2018/06/20/the-soviet-unions-hawker-hurricanes/

By the end of 1942, the vast majority of the VVS’ Hurricane regiments had converted to either P-39s, P-40s, or Soviet-built fighters, and the UK-built fighters were then transferred to PVO air defense units around Moscow, Murmansk, Leningrad, and Stalingrad. Nevertheless, Hurricane deliveries continued, and several frontline fighter regiments flew the aircraft until mid-1944. Beginning in late 1942, the UK started shipping Hurricane Mk. IICs, armed with four 20 mm cannon, to their Soviet allies, the majority of which were sent directly to PVO units. In April 1943, an agreement was reached that saw the delivery of 60 Hurricane Mk. IIDs, a ground attack variant that was armed with two 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S guns. In early 1944, the 246th IAP was equipped with the Mk. IIDs, though ultimately, the heavy ground attack variant was not used operationally on the Eastern Front.

Edited by sevenless

Since there is unfortunately no possibility for "I bought all 3", I took the Hurricane. One of the most iconic airplanes of its time and one must be for a collector like me ūüėĄ
I pre-ordered the Yaks as support for the developers, but I'm curious what kind of modifications will be made for. them

The Yak-9 is in the same category as the Bf109G-6 for me.  These were such ubiquitous aircraft in WWII that they are a must have.  Ultimately the right answer is to get them all.

2 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Hurricanes actualky carried a punch with its 8 303. Compared to Spitfire it was more concentrated. But your right. By the time they arrived to Russia it had no value as a front fighter. And with the planeset we meet online it offer no competition. 
The 40 mm was utilized in Notth Africa and I guess we wont get it. But I hope so. I am not going to protest

I have pre-ordered only the Hurricane so far but I would say buy the Yak-9T - its an interesting aircraft and they are going to extend the sale for a few days past the update, so its basically a pre-order discount for a plane that you can fly RIGHT AWAY. It's as good a deal as you are likely to see, outside of the sales that will probably be some time.

I like all 3 and will get all 3 both to support and for my own pleasure.

But as of right now if I had to make a choice, to answer the op's question, bearing in mind that the Yak's will be out first and I have everything else already including the Yak-1B, it would be the Yak-9T.

Why is easy, with a 37 mm canon armed bomber interceptor that's fast and agile, I might even leave my LaGG in the hangar :) 

Like everyone else I'm gonna be interested to see what they all have to offer load-out and modifications wise. I really liked the field mod version of the Hurricane IIb in Soviet service as it was represented in IL2 FB and I think we will see that this time around.

The Yak-9 would be great fun if we get a B version, especially one with PTAB load-out options. It would certainly give it a different flavor to the Yak-1B and Yak-7 we already have.

17 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

The 40 mm was utilized in Notth Africa and I guess we wont get it. But I hope so. I am not going to protest

All armament variants, including the IID were delivered to the Soviet Union and have already been confirmed to be included as modifications.

If you are a single player and are most concerned about historical renditions of the campaigns (and are NOT using or intending to use PWCG) then the choice is actually easy - take the Hurricane. The Yak 9 and 9T don't historically fit into Kuban (which leads me to think that it was more of an online decision more than anything else to actually construct the Yak-9).

...however, if you use PWCG, they are more useful as it includes the ability to play as a Russian pilot till the end of the war.

30 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Hurricanes actualky carried a punch with its 8 303. Compared to Spitfire it was more concentrated. But your right. By the time they arrived to Russia it had no value as a front fighter. And with the planeset we meet online it offer no competition. 

Hmm actually someone pointed an old Dev Diary at me and yes they are releasing all the British variants for some reason.

I wonder what their sources are because I also wasnt expecting the 40mm to fit to the Eastern front.

2 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Was expecting those to be rare. I had no idea the Soviet got some of these ūüėē

I'd be curious to know how many they got. It shouldnt be that interesting to use exept if you want to make this slow ass plane useful and turn it into an Il-2.

36 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Lend-Lease (AIR 22/310):

218 mark IIA (22 lost in transit)

1,884 mark IIB (278 lost in transit)

1,182 mark IIC (46 lost in transit, 117 rejected)

60 mark IID (14 rejected)

30 mark IV

So, presumably that is 46 Mk.IID put into service in the Soviet Union! Which is quite a few, if still a small fraction of the Hurricanes delivered.

Edited by Avimimus
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Yak-9T, beautiful plane and the 37mm shreds everything.

Would it be wrong to say the Yak-9T is basically a Yak-1b with a 37mm? And a Yak-9 is a slightly faster Yak-1b?

10 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Would it be wrong to say the Yak-9T is basically a Yak-1b with a 37mm? And a Yak-9 is a slightly faster Yak-1b?

They are somewhat equal but CoG is a bit different and wings have different shape, resulting in partly different handling. Also it has a new flight stick which impacts handling as well. Don't know about speeds, should be more or less equal.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, [TDH]Meankitty731 said:

Which plane has everyone pre-ordered? Trying to make my choice between the 3 right nowūü§™

That's a hard question to answer because it depends on what you look for in a new aircraft.

The Hurricane will give you the most value for money as it will come with lots of weapon options and should be usable with BoM and BoS campaigns. On the downside its performance will be sub par compared to the other fighters in game and a lot of what it can do can also be done by other aircraft. I pre-ordered it for its historical significance, skinning opportunities and for the lols of using 12x.303 machine guns.

I pre-ordered the Yak-9 as I enjoy flying the Yaks, good performance and handling. I didn't get the 9T though as I find large caliber cannons on fighters to be more annoying than fun (mainly due to the limited ammo count), one needs to be Scharfi levels of good to make them really viable.

41 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

I pre-ordered the Yak-9 as I enjoy flying the Yaks, good performance and handling. I didn't get the 9T though as I find large caliber cannons on fighters to be more annoying than fun (mainly due to the limited ammo count), one needs to be Scharfi levels of good to make them really viable.

Not at all, the NS-37 has a very high muzzle velocity and hitting is fairly easy. Also 30 Shots is enough for around 7-8 seconds of fire, just fire short burst and you should do fine.

51 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Any quick and dirty reviews about the -9T?

I found them(9/9t) less responsive on elevator authority than yak1b which makes them more forgiving doing G loads, like 109s.

You can definetely feel they are heavier than yak1b doing maneuvers, 9T more than 9.

9T 37mm cannon dewings 109 in a single hit if hit is further from wing root, outer part of the wing.

Wing root and especially fuselage can take more 37mm shells, but not much (2-3hits).

Visibility on 9T is obstructed by the wings comoared to 9 and 1b.

They seems easier to overheat than yak1b but quite same as yak7b, lower rpm/throttle or maintain speed.

9 and 9T do seem a bit faster than 1b.

Overall 9T is a beast with a top punch with that cannon but you need to aim good since there's only 30 shells with slower rate of fire.

So my first imoression is that there is quite noticable difference on both yak9/9T compared to yak1b, in maneuverability, handling and engine managment(which is similar to yak7b).

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

I found them(9/9t) less responsive on elevator authority than yak1b which makes them more forgiving doing G loads, like 109s.

You can definetely feel they are heavier than yak1b doing maneuvers, 9T more than 9.

9T 37mm cannon dewings 109 in a single hit if hit is further from wing root, outer part of the wing.

Wing root and especially fuselage can take more 37mm shells, but not much (2-3hits).

Visibility on 9T is obstructed by the wings comoared to 9 and 1b.

They seems easier to overheat than yak1b but quite same as yak7b, lower rpm/throttle or maintain speed.

9 and 9T do seem a bit faster than 1b.

Overall 9T is a beast with a top punch with that cannon but you need to aim good since there's only 30 shells with slower rate of fire.

So my first imoression is that there is quite noticable difference on both yak9/9T compared to yak1b, in maneuverability, handling and engine managment(which is similar to yak7b).

Thank you for that.

I was on the fence about buying either of the Yaks, but when I saw they had beefed up the QMB in this update, I thought I should show some support and buy a plane, so I bought the 9T and I agree with everything you said. Definitely feels heavier and less agile than the Yak-1b, but beats the shmidt out of trains with that cannon, and the gun has a good solid "Bomf!" sound to it when firing. I like the choice of gunsights, too.

Forgot to add they do seem less prone to stall and with better stability on low near stall speeds  or on hard initial pull compared to yak1b.....however yak1b still feels more agile and lighter with better resposability on high speeds.