Sign in to follow this  
jojy47jojyrocks

Limping back damaged planes....

In real life...pilots did manage to land at friendly base that's not their own home squadron base back in WW2 and the aircraft is recovered if its still can be repaired and returned to flyable condition. Its not like we are landing at an enemy airfield.

So what do you guys/girls think happens to the planes that limp back home somewhere near to ANOTHER friendly airbase and safely land it there. Is that plane written off or listed as crashed if we did NOT land in the CORRECT airbase where our squadron is based? So are those planes even in real life just ignored if its just a fuel leak too and we just had to land at some nearby FRIENDLY base instead of our HOME squadron base?😶

But if my airbase is near and I bring back the badly damaged plane and land at my home base. Then the airplane is NOT listed as crashed or written off. But IF its another FRIENDLY AIRBASE then it is...make no sense whatsoever even if I land safely.

I think this is left over from the score system of the original Campaign, prior to Career Mode. You earned extra points for completing long missions and returning to your base, so you scored less points if you landed somewhere else. 

10 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I think this is left over from the score system of the original Campaign, prior to Career Mode. You earned extra points for completing long missions and returning to your base, so you scored less points if you landed somewhere else. 

Early versions of IL2 had point system. When I brought...that was not the case.

The problem I see is that after I land my supposed damaged plane to another FRIENDLY FRONTLINE AIRBASE and back after I finish mission and we go to the sortie page. My safely brought back plane is listed as CRASHED. Due to damage or maybe extreme low fuel we would be forced to land at some other NEARBY FRIENDLY airfield instead of the exact home field of our squadron base on the front-lines.

I'm pretty sure even in real life...many pilots in emergency if possible would try to land at a nearby friendly base than limping all the way to our squad home field if its pretty far. Also pretty sure that plane if repairable would not be just written off, or if its just out of fuel problem as well wont be just chucked away. Currently...its just listed as crashed on our mission sorties menu.

This really needs to be addressed.

• Upvote 1