Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stumble

Fleeing

Recommended Posts

Hi there, just wondering what Is the general etiquette for fleeing during a sortie in MP? Is it do what you want, or should one stay for their own dignity?

 

S!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More of a do what you want IMO. If i'm shot to crap and don't have the advantage I'll bug out and come back when I'm able to fight on my terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what the circumstances are? do you have height advantage, Are the odds in your favor meaning 2 vs 1. Never leave your wingman alone unless he tells you too. Are going against a camel while being in a dva? Tell us why your asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my virtual lives never last long. And I think it's cause I've always thought that I should stay and fight, especially since I fly solo and I don't wanna annoy a whole squad by dragging em down a long way just for me to eventually flee. I've noticed from watching others streams, that when they're damaged, they don't take chances. And I think my ignorance is at fault lol.

 

But good to know. S!

 

PS. what about parachutes? Seems like an unfair advantage for central pilots?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to quote a famous movie...…….

 

"Parachutes? We had something back on that didn't we?"

 

"They might impair a pilots nerves, good saying that! ...Sorry, but there it is"

 

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can bail in entente planes provided you have the height not to splat in the 5 second timeout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stumble said:

Well, my virtual lives never last long. And I think it's cause I've always thought that I should stay and fight, especially since I fly solo and I don't wanna annoy a whole squad by dragging em down a long way just for me to eventually flee. I've noticed from watching others streams, that when they're damaged, they don't take chances. And I think my ignorance is at fault lol.

 

But good to know. S!

 

PS. what about parachutes? Seems like an unfair advantage for central pilots?

 

Yeh I would not consider that a concern. Things such as intentional (even some accidental) rams, attacking players before they become airborne, and immense warping would annoy players. Perhaps parachute shooting outside of the campaigns also? But being smart and fighting on your own terms? Not so much.

 

Those squadrons would be doing the same thing were you in advantage over them. And seems to be one reason, among others, that such squadrons and individuals are dominant over others. They seem have good situational awareness (not just being able to see aircraft but understanding how the fight is going to develop) and realise when to engage or when to decline the fight and when to bug out of one they are already in.

Edited by Oliver88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually a squad would be happy to help if their close by, they get to attack someone they didn't see, your just helping to spot someone. I know we would, guess I can't speak for all squads. 

Parachutes huh, I'd love to say shoot the bastards if on the central side of the mud but yah you'd get a lot of crying and whining so no don't do it. Best thing to do is kill the pilot before he gets a chance to bail. 

Best thing for you to do is ask for a wingman, you don't have to be on comms just ask on chat, sure there's always someone who wants to wing up, You can always escort us if your on our side but you have to be a brave little man, we cross to the darkside every sortie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol I've been flying entente recently. I'm finally getting somewhere in this spad!!! I had a good little fight the other day. I found that I was actually doing things right, and not messing up every chance I had lol.

 

But I'll still fly central.... I'm not sure which I prefer yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which server Stumble? Flugpark? I have recently moved to another state (yes in the middle of the plague, unfortunate timing!) and finally have a decent enough connection to allow online gaming. I ventured on to Flugpark in a Camel the other night to test my connection and there were no probs. But I got my arse kicked. 3 other players, no idea where they are, no icons, looking around like a mad thing, suddenly a plane (D7 I think) swoops overhead and I lose it. Next thing it's on my bloody tail and my wings fall off. I have much to learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup sure is tricky! Even after a few years of RoF and this... I'm still getting shot down left right and centre lol. Recently I feel like I have been getting a little better. The other week at a Thursday night fly in I managed to get 2 kills and make it home alive (Barely). But then I went up again and got taken out before I could blink haha. This is all in the Flugpark server. Its good fun!!

 

Since the lockdown I've managed to make it to the Thursday Night Fly-ins (My Friday 1:30pm). That'll be something like 3:30pm for you right? Its a little better then the time I have to deal with haha. I would love to make it to the Sunday Furball, but thats about 7am for me and I have something against flying in the morning. Its just not my thing.

 

I'm hoping we get enough Kiwi/Aussie flyers that eventually we can organize things a little more around our time. Oh well!

 

S!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stumble said:

Yup sure is tricky! Even after a few years of RoF and this... I'm still getting shot down left right and centre lol. Recently I feel like I have been getting a little better. The other week at a Thursday night fly in I managed to get 2 kills and make it home alive (Barely). But then I went up again and got taken out before I could blink haha. This is all in the Flugpark server. Its good fun!!

 

Since the lockdown I've managed to make it to the Thursday Night Fly-ins (My Friday 1:30pm). That'll be something like 3:30pm for you right? Its a little better then the time I have to deal with haha. I would love to make it to the Sunday Furball, but thats about 7am for me and I have something against flying in the morning. Its just not my thing.

 

I'm hoping we get enough Kiwi/Aussie flyers that eventually we can organize things a little more around our time. Oh well!

 

S!

 

 

 

 

 

There is an Aussie FC server The Unprofessionals which would suit our time zone and unprofessional skills. But I think they're more focussed on their WWII server so I don't know how active it is, and whether it's furball, missions or training, icons on/off? But it is an option if we want to get a gang of kiwi's/aussies together. 

 

As for Flugpark, kickoff is usually 8pm and it's in Seattle right? 8pm Seattle time converts to 11am Aus EST. I hope that's right? Aus is 2 hours behind NZ.

 

I can't fly during the day at the moment because trackir freaks out (yes I know I need curtains but I've just moved in). Night time is the right time anyway.

 

I might also give Zooropa's server a go. I think it's more for noobs with icons on and I need all the help I can get until I get a handle on things! And then onto comms! Scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, catchov said:

 

There is an Aussie FC server The Unprofessionals which would suit our time zone and unprofessional skills. But I think they're more focussed on their WWII server so I don't know how active it is, and whether it's furball, missions or training, icons on/off? But it is an option if we want to get a gang of kiwi's/aussies together. 

 

As for Flugpark, kickoff is usually 8pm and it's in Seattle right? 8pm Seattle time converts to 11am Aus EST. I hope that's right? Aus is 2 hours behind NZ.

 

I can't fly during the day at the moment because trackir freaks out (yes I know I need curtains but I've just moved in). Night time is the right time anyway.

 

I might also give Zooropa's server a go. I think it's more for noobs with icons on and I need all the help I can get until I get a handle on things! And then onto comms! Scary.

Yes you're, I got the times backwards opps. Since the lockdown I've been able to fly a bit more during the day... but normally I only ever fly at night! I'll try get on Zooropas server at night some time. And i'll see you there hopefully!

 

I've been having problems with my controls for some reason. I wonder if it was from an update or something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, catchov said:

8pm Seattle time

It's actually 5pm Seattle or PST time is when the action starts, there is also an early one for the European fliers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's absolutely fine but ONLY if you shout "I'll get you next time!" as you run away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting question, some planes' main atribude is to be able to "ESCAPE" from a fight, like SPAD and SE5a - you can do it almost at every point of a combat in case you, more or less, control what happens around you.

 

I encontered some pilots "from the current top 10" who will parachute out of their plane after receiving a few hits. They could have carry on the fight and still turn it in their favour however they prefer to preserve their streaks and just chicken out. This actually ought to result in shooting at the baloon but I never do it.

 

Escaping is fine, leaving your squadron mates behind is not. At the end it comes down to how YOU enjoy flying - if for you immersion means survival - as in RL you will fly secure and escape dangerous situations. At the other hand, virtual courage here costs you 'ONLY' a virtual life.

 

 

Edited by 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk said:

I encontered some pilots "from the current top 10" who will parachute out of their plane after receiving a few hits. They could have carry on the fight and still trun it in ther favour however they prefer to preserve their streaks and just chicken out. This actually ought to result in shooting at the baloon but I never do it.

To bad they couldn't implement some way if you bail before a certain damage % then your chute doesn't open and SPLAT you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 5:51 PM, 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk said:

Escaping is fine, leaving your squadron mates behind is not. At the end it comes down to how YOU enjoy flying - if for you immersion means survival - as in RL you will fly secure and escape dangerous situations. At the other hand, virtual courage here costs you 'ONLY' a virtual life.


My thoughts exactly! There have been times for me where I've come very close to losing my 'big streak' because I've turned back into a fight where my wingmen are in trouble. No man left behind! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, US93_Talbot said:

I love when they bail at terminal velocity without penalty.

 

 There are times when it doesn't work. I've been unable to bailout due to excessive speed or a spin, or when too wounded.  Bailing is always a last resort AFAIC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been flying with a 49inch 4k screen for the last little while... now I'm back on a 27inch 1080p. Its so much harder to spot now. I'm forever seeing flak, then maybe a glimpse of a plane, and then they just disappear. Next minute they're on my six.

 

I'd like to say that's one reason my virtual pilots never last long, but I don't think that's the case unfortunately :)

 

I'll get there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stumble said:

I've been flying with a 49inch 4k screen for the last little while... now I'm back on a 27inch 1080p. Its so much harder to spot now. I'm forever seeing flak, then maybe a glimpse of a plane, and then they just disappear. Next minute they're on my six.

 

I'd like to say that's one reason my virtual pilots never last long, but I don't think that's the case unfortunately :)

 

I'll get there!

Try flying with a 21" screen and eyes like a 55 year old man. And when it comes to having them appear on you six then you need to fly with a wingman. 4 eyes are better that 2 unless your a chameleon . 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I better shut up. 27inch is perfectly fine lol. And you're right about a wing man. Maybe I will someday jump on comms.... we'll see :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Try flying with a 21" screen and eyes like a 55 year old man. 

 

Indeed, we are the lucky few. But despite these advantages I'm still crap at spotting.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stumble said:

Ok I better shut up. 27inch is perfectly fine lol. And you're right about a wing man. Maybe I will someday jump on comms.... we'll see :)

You don't have to be on coms, just ask to fly with someone, It is harder to stay in formation with out coms but it can be done.

 

1 hour ago, catchov said:

 

Indeed, we are the lucky few. But despite these advantages I'm still crap at spotting.

I find it the hardest to spot below me. planes just seem to meld into the ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In my opinion you set your own terms. Or the terms of your squadron.

 

I never flew on commns, so I can't say: "If you go that route, you are on your own". Because I many times get in furball mode and I'm not really thinking about a streak, especially after I lost a good streak. So you can't follow everyone or fend for everyone, because some people will get you in trouble. Just stay behind and hope that the guy notices that you are holding your ground. In a dogfight, I usually go to the end if there are still friendly planes around unless I'm flying a Camel together with Spads and SE5as, because they can flee and you can't follow at the same pace. If they are newbie’s and don't know how to work together, it is their inexperience fault. But if you are flying with experienced people, even off commns, everything tends to work as it should and no one is left behind. We all know till where we can go and when it is time to get out. 

 

I have lost some good streaks staying behind. When I'm in reach, I tend to turn around and engage, unless I think the guy is being too reckless, although I did just that in my last good streak. I knew I had no chances, he was being reckless, but I came back anyways. Hell, we don't die in this game. I did that countless times, and it is good when you get away on top. But I don't like parachutes. I have bailed in the past, but in the last months I think I did it once. The other time I hit the key combination by mistake.

 

And I think you can flee at will in dogfights, or dive if you are outnumbered. If you are in enemy territory, you can play with that and get close to the mud, drag them around, etc. Just mind your wings and your engine (not talking about the new DM because I'm not flying here anymore) - I lost many of my wings trying to dive or seized the engine.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...