Y-29.Silky

Need help in "Spot The Airplane"

Before my post gets removed again I know spotting is a controversial topic, I just want to find settings that work best for me in spotting aircraft.

With that said, I can see planes very far away, so far that I can see furballs from across the map, they show up as white dots. A good way to know what I'm talking about is you can see the 1943 dogfights from the Allied 1944 spawn in the Berloga server.

However, I can't see anything when planes are close and I don't remember having this problem on my old setup. I don't know if it's my monitor settings or what. I have.. HDR disabled, Sharpen,

Land filter blurred, and 4k textures on ultra.

In the photo there's a BF-109 below me. I'm at 2500m, the Bf-109 is at 500m.

ZlXfdDN.jpg

Spoiler

image.png.588293c8d540baac4d3dee3009418815.png

It's in a right bank.

xpExpH6.jpg

Spoiler

IWaD55B.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Y-29.Silky said:

Before my post gets removed again I know spotting is a controversial topic, I just want to find settings that work best for me in spotting aircraft.

With that said, I can see planes very far away, so far that I can see furballs from across the map, they show up as white dots. A good way to know what I'm talking about is you can see the 1943 dogfights from the Allied 1944 spawn in the Berloga server.

However, I can't see anything when planes are close and I don't remember having this problem on my old setup. I don't know if it's my monitor settings or what. I have.. HDR disabled, Sharpen,

Land filter blurred, and 4k textures on ultra.

In the photo there's a BF-109 below me. I'm at 2500m, the Bf-109 is at 500m.

ZlXfdDN.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.588293c8d540baac4d3dee3009418815.png

It's in a right bank.

xpExpH6.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

IWaD55B.jpg

For Berloga, be advised that they use the Alternate visibility setting. Which is probably why you can so easily see aircraft that far away on the server. Although distant spotting is still very much possible on other servers, just not quite as easy without the scaling. 

Nearby spotting has the same problems regardless of visibility settings IMO. Berloga benefits from the map choice, planes just seem to show up better there against the steppe background. Summer Bodenplatte map seems to be the hardest to spot against the ground.

I have basically the same settings as you - Ultra, Sharpen On, HDR Off. I use 0.8 gamma, thinking of tweaking it actually higher to about 0.9 or even 1.0 as it makes the forest very dark, which makes it harder to pick out aircraft against it. Lower gamma is kind of proposed as a panacea for spotting issues but in some cases I believe it hurts more than it helps. I think that turning sharpen off improves spotting very slightly but I found that my target ID suffered greatly so I don't recommend it. If you have a higher def display you may try it, to see if it helps on higher resolutions. 

I don't think there is a magic setting, other than a good calibrated monitor, keen eyes for movement, and a few tweaks to minimize contact blending. Things may improve with the deferred shading that is coming down the pipes in the next update or so, or if/when they are able to improve nearby spotting. 

This just reminded me I have to recalibrate the color settings on my monitor a bit, the display seems a little dark and less vivid in since my GPU upgrade. 

26 minutes ago, Y-29.Silky said:

This is because Berloga use "alternative visibility", that means this:

You will see ANYTHING far away from you, then you try to zoom in and they disappear... So, you zoom out and they are back again!

So, you turn to point them and when you are close they probably will disappear again...

Alternative visibility enlarge pixel when the airplane is super far from you, but if you zoom in or you get closer then the normal visibility come back.

Suggestion:

1) Your setting are pretty good, you can try with ReShade if you can find something than can help you more but I cannot how to help you.

2) keep sun behind you, enemy plane will shine and will be easier to see them

Double check all your settings including startup.cfg changes you’ve made.  I’d been having some real struggles lately and finally looked at my settings again and realized the recent patches must have reset some options.  No wonder I was getting bounced constantly and couldn’t see a thing.  Now I’m back at square one until I sink a few hours into getting things dialed in again.

One technique I found very helpful in the past was to setup QMBs with enemies at long distance (10k or so) and just keep running the scenarios with icons on (to make sure you aren’t missing visible contacts due to errors in your visual scan) and tweak your settings until you can see them reasonably.  This is tedious and time consuming, just changing one setting at a time and restarting the game, but it will ultimately get you there.  Mirrors, shadows, sharpen, hdr, and anti-aliasing all seem to have a huge impact.  Sadly, ugly seems to produce much better functional visibility than pretty.

• Upvote 1

Suggestion, You are 2km away above an aircraft that is the size of a small or narrow car but with wings but it is painted in colours that are designed from that view to blend it in with the terrain.

Welcome to the world of WW2 aviation. Would you like 109's upper surfaces to be painted in modern "Safety" colours so they can be easily seen?

Most people probably wouldn't see that 109 in most situations and Il2's even were hard to spot when high above them as described by Hungarian 109 pilots.  500m you should have no issues.

Remember, the only reason US aircraft ditched using camo late war was because they had Air Superiority and little opposition so it was deemed not needed.  That and playing at default FOV on a small monitor will not give you 1 to 1 scale.  PITA but that is the limitation of monitors in a combat simulation.

18 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

This is because Berloga use "alternative visibility", that means this:

You will see ANYTHING far away from you, then you try to zoom in and they disappear... So, you zoom out and they are back again!

So, you turn to point them and when you are close they probably will disappear again...

Alternative visibility enlarge pixel when the airplane is super far from you, but if you zoom in or you get closer then the normal visibility come back.

Suggestion:

1) Your setting are pretty good, you can try with ReShade if you can find something than can help you more but I cannot how to help you.

2) keep sun behind you, enemy plane will shine and will be easier to see them

in Berloga I can see/spot the airplanes only when they are in a bank turn (view from top of bottom). Once they're in a side or a front/rear profile view = fuhget about it even at 300 -400meters...

Setting the gamma to 0.7 in setup.cfg helped a little bit, I tried going for 0.6 but that was way too dark. All other settings - HDR, AA, sampling, etc - none of it helps to any noticeable degree in VR

As long as you're bringing "spotting" up.

Go fly on the opposing side and have a look at a furball.

See if you notice little silver gnats darting about the furrball..

Those are P-51s'.

Have a look at the images I was finally able to capture in this thread.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, KW_1979 said:

One technique I found very helpful in the past was to setup QMBs with enemies at long distance (10k or so) and just keep running the scenarios with icons on (to make sure you aren’t missing visible contacts due to errors in your visual scan) and tweak your settings until you can see them reasonably.  This is tedious and time consuming, just changing one setting at a time and restarting the game, but it will ultimately get you there.  ...

I posted a spotting test mission here.

I ended up reducing my resolution to 1280 x 720 (my monitor native resolution is 1080p). With this change, I can see contacts reasonably well at about 4 or 5 km out.

Edited by JimTM

Spotting issues are a point in favor of using a large, hi-resolution monitor.  I just tested out JimTM's mission above, and on my 43" 4k monitor, I can very comfortably see contacts out to 4 and 5 km, then with a bit of concentration can pick them out at 6, 7 and even 8 km.  I completely agree that going 4k shouldn't be required to have reasonable spotting ability, but thought it was worth pointing out that it does in fact get significantly better when you do so.