PanzerVII

Button mapping for HOTAS X w/ modifier buttons!

Posted (edited)

Hey guys! I made a Joystick mapping files for new players out there who has or will be buying an HOTAS X/4/1!

It uses buttons 5 to 8 (the buttons on the side of the throttle, recognized as button 4 to 7 ingame.) as modifiers and I've mapped most essential functions using these modifiers so you'll minimize having to reach out for your keyboard. As you learn the game, you can assign more functions to modifier buttons as the mapping now does not actually utilize all modifier buttons yet so there is potential to increase the number of functions.

Enjoy!

I've attached the files and an image reference which you can use to look for the controls.

Black is the default action for pressing a button without modifiers. To activate a modifier function represented by colors, press a modifier button and then a button.

For example. the default action for button 9 is "Lock tail wheels". To activate the landing gear, press the green modifier button then button 9. So on and so forth

WARNING: Unless you have this EXACT HOTAS, do not use these mappings as they may be confusing to your joystick.

SECOND WARNING: DO NOT USE THE INGAME KEYMAPPER TO MAP TO MODIFIER BUTTONS. They won't detect it and will count the modifier buttons as a separate button press. Instead, edit the current.actions file. For example:

Change:

throw_bombs_mode,                                 key_lwin+key_b,

to

throw_bombs_mode,                                 joy0_b4+joy0_b3,

where joy0_b4 is the modifier plus the button you will assign it to which is joy0_b3.

After this you won't have to edit the current.map file. Just delete it then the game will generate a new one based on the new current.actions file.

Credit to u/Kameniev for the photo! I just edited it to suit my new button mappings.

lzpRAmY.png

HOTAS X-4-1.zip

Edited by PanzerVII
  • Like 1

Hey question, is it possible to edit the file by copy and pasting your .action into the .action file for IL-2. Or would you have to manually go in and edit each one.

17 hours ago, PotroastBuckett said:

Hey question, is it possible to edit the file by copy and pasting your .action into the .action file for IL-2. Or would you have to manually go in and edit each one.

No need to edit manually. Simply copy my files and overwrite your config files with mine. Just to note this has been awhile since I used this config since my HOTAS 4 broke but I'll try my best to help resolve any config issues.

Nice I like it, a couple things though.

Yaw trim and oil radiators arent mapped

16 hours ago, Brobob said:

Nice I like it, a couple things though.

Yaw trim and oil radiators arent mapped

Yeah I encountered that issue as well. Technically it's mapped but for some reason the game does not register the combination. I've resorted to just using the keyboard since it's really not essential, well at least for me.