Hi all,

I am currently using a hat switch on my joystick for looking round but find this really hard work so was thinking about head tracking.

I've heard of Trackir but doesn't seem to be in stock any more? What are people using and can recommend? I live in the UK so preferably something with cheapish shipping costs.

Cheers,

Knolly

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Knolly said:

Hi all,

I am currently using a hat switch on my joystick for looking round but find this really hard work so was thinking about head tracking.

I've heard of Trackir but doesn't seem to be in stock any more? What are people using and can recommend? I live in the UK so preferably something with cheapish shipping costs.

Cheers,

Knolly

https://rcsimulations.co.uk/

This should be the dealer for Naturalpoint, who are producing TrackIR, in the UK.https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/trackir/bn_7024911138

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/trackir/bn_7024911138

Ebay would be another possibility

Edited by Yogiflight

You can do it yourself, but if you're all thumbs like me, I recommend an English company, https://delanengineering.com/

and then the free software Opentrack.  Much easier than a hat, and very cheap.

1 hour ago, Knolly said:

I live in the UK so preferably something with cheapish shipping costs.

Oops, forgot to quote.

haha thanks for the replies guys, do you use the delan engineering one? Seems reasonable for £45

4 hours ago, Knolly said:

do you use the delan engineering one?

I do and it works great. I bought just the attachment as I had the PSeye already, You don't even need to configure it much as you can download another player's set up and apply it (I'm using Requim's set up).

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, Knolly said:

haha thanks for the replies guys, do you use the delan engineering one? Seems reasonable for £45

little late but anyway... I have the Delan Gamer and its great! You can't go wrong with it.

Edited by Zyklon
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

You know, Oculus Rift is pretty cheap...will track your head plus more.

Edited by driftaholic

I would normally recommend EdTracker, as they are UK-based and a good alternative to IR-based head tracking, but they are having electronic certification and supply issues right now due to a Brexit/Covid double whammy. 

On 4/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, Knolly said:

I forgot to tell you that Delan Clip works perfectly with Open Track (there is a direct link for a stable version there.) Actually the instructions on their web sites and very clear and they have live chat support. I also get myself PS3 camera mount, 2 more additional Velcro adhesives and head strap which works better than head phones at least for me. Everything is set out of the box except center key and the axis curves. These are mine. It takes a while to get used to but its amazing thing. TrackIR is very expensive in my opinion. Next on the list is rudder pedals haha

options bind center F12.PNG

pitch.PNG

roll.PNG

X.PNG

Y.PNG

yaw.PNG

Z.PNG

So I got the Delan clip and have it set up with open track. It seems to work fine when i'm doing the tests in open track but when I enter the game the camera drifts even when my head is still, I checked in open track and it doesn't show any movement. 

Is there a setting or something I have missed?

3 minutes ago, Knolly said:

So I got the Delan clip and have it set up with open track. It seems to work fine when i'm doing the tests in open track but when I enter the game the camera drifts even when my head is still, I checked in open track and it doesn't show any movement. 

Is there a setting or something I have missed?

So if you hold your head perfectly still, OpenTrack shows no movement of your head, but your view drifts? Is it always a consistent direction, and is it jerky or smooth?

I've done more testing and its most apparent in yaw when i move my head to right, it does appear that it drifts in open track too

4 hours ago, Knolly said:

I've done more testing and its most apparent in yaw when i move my head to right, it does appear that it drifts in open track too

Drift happens with most headtracking solutions, unless it is very frequent its just something to live with. I have a button on my joystick that re-centers my head in opentrack - I chose one that's not easily pressed by accident. If you notice it start to drift, just centre your head, press the recentre button, and go back to playing.

If you have to do this more than once every sortie there might be something wrong.

If it starts to drift right away and happens continuously there might be a problem with the software or the configuration of the LED trackers or something. It could even be how the tracking rig is attached to your headset, if it is shifting or moving as you move your head around the lights would be in a different spot and then it would drift a bit. Or if there is backlighting or reflections behind you, it can sometimes screw up your tracking. 

So is it happening immediately upon tracking starting? Or does it happen only after a while?

thanks for the help, it starts straight away, haven't actually got round to flying yet just trying to get it all set up right first

Does the position of the camera play an important part in getting it set up right? At the minute its on the top of my monitor which means its slight above my head height so its pointing down and I have the clip on an angle so its pointing directly at the camera.

1 hour ago, Knolly said:

thanks for the help, it starts straight away, haven't actually got round to flying yet just trying to get it all set up right first

Does the position of the camera play an important part in getting it set up right? At the minute its on the top of my monitor which means its slight above my head height so its pointing down and I have the clip on an angle so its pointing directly at the camera.

I use an EdTracker, which uses a gyro and magnetometer to track head movement, rather than a camera and LEDs, so I can only give advice I have read online. Previously my setup would have not worked with a light-based headtracking set up at all because of significant backlighting. So I have never really experimented with these issues, though I have been given and read a lot of advice on mitigating tracking issues before I made the choice for an EdTracker. 

DelanClip has some video tutorials on setup for the device so maybe review those and any other documentation about correcting the drift you are experiencing. It may be that with the camera set up in such a way, and/or the tracking clip angled, it is unable to maintain its centre. There might be a better way to set things up to avoid the drift issue, or a way to calibrate it better.

I used to use TrackIr but I got annoyed that it sometimes got confused by any changes in my light and it did not cope very well with rapid head movements such as the one I do when in a scissors or watching someone flash past in a head-on.    I changed to EDTracker which does not care about light and responds instantly to the quickest of head movements. 

Technically it only has four degrees of freedom instead of six so does not offer 'sliding your head sideways' or 'Raising or lowering your head position' but these can be simulated using Opentrack.   I never liked tilting my view by tilting my head in TrackIr and had it disabled so now when I tilt my head it slides my view sideways.  For raising and lowering my viewpoint I found I only did that to look at my instruments or looking over my aircrafts nose so I told Opentrack that when I look down I also want to move forward a few inches and 'slouch' to get a closer look at the dials (only during first ten degrees or so).  When I look up I want to 'stretch my neck' so I can lower my eyes and see better over the nose.    I can post a video if anyone wants to see it in action.

Last week I decided to try TrackIr again as I now sit in a different room where the light levels are more constant and TrackIrs is more natural when looking round canopy struts etc but I found it still kept losing tracking at the extremes and was sluggish responding so I switched back immediately.  Perhaps others get better performance as I only have the reflective stickers not the LEDs.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I used to use TrackIr but I got annoyed that it sometimes got confused by any changes in my light and it did not cope very well with rapid head movements such as the one I do when in a scissors or watching someone flash past in a head-on.    I changed to EDTracker which does not care about light and responds instantly to the quickest of head movements. 

Technically it only has four degrees of freedom instead of six so does not offer 'sliding your head sideways' or 'Raising or lowering your head position' but these can be simulated using Opentrack.   I never liked tilting my view by tilting my head in TrackIr and had it disabled so now when I tilt my head it slides my view sideways.  For raising and lowering my viewpoint I found I only did that to look at my instruments or looking over my aircrafts nose so I told Opentrack that when I look down I also want to move forward a few inches and 'slouch' to get a closer look at the dials (only during first ten degrees or so).  When I look up I want to 'stretch my neck' so I can lower my eyes and see better over the nose.    I can post a video if anyone wants to see it in action.

Last week I decided to try TrackIr again as I now sit in a different room where the light levels are more constant and TrackIrs is more natural when looking round canopy struts etc but I found it still kept losing tracking at the extremes and was sluggish responding so I switched back immediately.  Perhaps others get better performance as I only have the reflective stickers not the LEDs.

I really like the fact that the EDtracker isn't based on LEDs so you don't have to worry about light sources. The problem now is that from what i can tell they aren't making new EDTrackers anymore and its not clear they will be doing so in the future. Now I'm wishing I had bought two in case mine fails.