BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XV

Hello! I blinked and the week was over. In development there is a moment when the end comes closer and things start to become be brighter and more noticeable. In the initial stages is always very hard to see the final product. Time is running, but we cannot see any final results because everyone is busy at his or her tasks and work. But there comes a turning point and things are starting to gather together. Often a whole group of us will gather around one of the jobs in the office and discuss, watch and criticize something new that has just been added. This is very positive and the team now has complete confidence in what we're doing. Each freely express opinions and now there is almost no debate. This means that you'll get a good result.

In a couple months we'll show you the first dogfights of the fighters. We ourselves are also very interested on how this turns out. Many of the ideas and solutions that we are doing now are implemented for the first time. We have called all this "unknown Stalingrad", there are many discoveries to be encountered. Of course, we have already made ???

Thanks for the udate.. Have a great weekend!

BoS will be created primarily as a game for a single player

Excellent news and music to my ears.

• Upvote 1

Looking really good.

"BoS will be created primarily as a game for a single player"

Also very pleased about this. Bodes well for the Campaign.

But I'm a little afraid that the answer to the question "Is the Bf109 really that good?" will be "Njet!" ^^

• Upvote 1

But I'm a little afraid that the answer to the question "Is the Bf109 really that good?" will be "Njet!" ^^

And this is not he first time LOFT mentioned this in that kind of way (as if not to expect Luftwaffe aircraft to have any advantages).. I am afraid to hear something like "Look, LaGG-3 is on par with Bf 109 F-4!" once they have the FMs ready   :)

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 1

S!

Interesting update and good to hear the spirit within the development team is good thus good results. So in that department looks good. I was a bit worried about the Bf109 comment as well, but saying nothing until I have the final product in my hands and can test myself. Until then useless speculation on the FM/DM and whatever matter.

Have a good weekend all!

Thanks for the update, tank looks lovely again. Good to know that single player is a high priority.

Is there a way to participate in the beta testing or will this be a secret small circle? Have I missed something like a public announcement in this regard? Is it still to come?

What's so hard about making AI gunners performance close to human? Not that every human is the same, but that wouldn't be the scope, would it?

Is there a way to participate in the beta testing or will this be a secret small circle?

Yes, Albert answered:

Do you plan an opportunity to give some aircraft as add-ons for RoF (possibly paid) that the community can test them before release BoS?

It's quite difficult. You want to give the whole system the player can test them. That's why we'll do it traditionally. Those who will participate in the pre-order or in any such actions will be able to play the game before release.

Thanks for the update! 

It will be hard waiting till we see that tank in the game engine.

Keep up the good work. 

2) Could you imagine an online game type like "capture the airfield" or something like that which will make it possible to overtake enemy airfields by destroying a certain percentage of its AA and ground objects to use it afterwards for your own team?

This or any other game mode you will be able to make without assistance. BoS will be created primarily as a game for a single player. We'll closely monitor everything and develop precisely those elements that will be most popular. But we don't plan anything complex for the multiplayer at launch.

ok, I understand that ATM any fancy online game types are not the most important tasks to do.

Thanks for the update.  The tank looks great but when do you think we'll see a 109 cockpit?

As in RoF you guys seem to really have your act together in communicating to your fan base ,current & future.Keep up the good work & keep those screenshots etc. coming!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update.  The tank looks great but when do you think we'll see a 109 cockpit?

When we're ready to show it. Maybe on the next Friday, maybe in a couple months.

When we're ready to show it. Maybe on the next Friday, maybe in a couple months.

Great!  Thanks! 

And this is not he first time LOFT mentioned this in that kind of way (as if not to expect Luftwaffe aircraft to have any advantages).. I am afraid to hear something like "Look, LaGG-3 is on par with Bf 109 F-4!" once they have the FMs ready   :)

Come on, LOFT did not say "Njet" anywhere in his update!

What he said was "What LaGG-3 will look like? Is Bf-109 really so good? A lot of questions and we look forward to the answers. I'll share first impressions once we have them."

He absolutely didn't say anything about Luftwaffe aircraft having an advantage or not.

Try to be reasonable and have a nice weekend.

Edited by Freycinet
  • Upvote 1

5) How do you plan to make the skill of AI gunners? In the old "IL-2" theirs shooting could be better on the actual distance when the enemy plane is 300 meters and closer.

AI of the gunners is not an easy task. In fact, as you know, to teach him "beautiful" miss is the most difficult. By default, any AI has a phenomenal response and the ability to calculate point of prediction better then Siberian hunters. Programming AI to shoot in some kind of ???

BoS will be created primarily as a game for a single player.

That is great news for many, ofcourse !

I'm not a only dogfhighter pilot .. I don?

Q: created primarily as a Single Player =  created primarily as a Offline career game?

Yes

Single campaign will be one of the bases in the gameplay and will be across the red line. All players, even those who prefer only online battles will go through several stages of the campaign. We hope to create a nice cross between the classic single-player mode and all the modern and interesting ideas that emerged after the original "IL-2".

Mission events for single player will be created on the server and is unique in the details each time for each player. This will always be a unique experience and fair play for all, as you will not know what to expect until you get to the map. The events on the ground will be developed as close to the historical realities in the different periods of the Battle of Stalingrad. Like the types of missions, everything will be made on the basis of real materials that we could find. And we hope that it will be interesting for both veterans of the genre, and for those who love aviation and history, but is not yet an expert in these matters. This will be especially exciting and very emotional.

I think concentrating on SP is very positive.  Poles have been done with other FS's and they show that the vast majority of players are SP exclusively or mostly.

thanks for the update!

The tank is looking great. A mention of the dogfights . . .

Also was laughing about the Bf 109 and the njet joke 

I am concerned about the SP concentration, but I understand because if they are going to make a great game its easier to make it awesome SP and add MP complexities later, but it has to be planned for (architecture / coding etc)

which leads me to 

Ask a Question: 

does the statement"

"But we don't plan anything complex for the multiplayer at launch."

mean that complex MP planning and architecture, coding etc is in the dev's mind and planning in the overall IL-2 (series) , but not for the initial release, and fully developed later?

• Upvote 1

I'm really happy they want to have a good experience for the single player!

You and me both, I am pretty much just an offline player myself - the fact they are putting a lot of focus on it, sounds very good to me.

I'm a single player fan so I'm very pleased to hear its getting attention.

Just to clarify though, does the focus on single player mean that there will still be multiplayer, just no new modes, like capture the flag, at time of release?

• Upvote 1

Friday: best part of the week...

Excellent news, like the single player policy and the tank is very nice!

Thanks for the update :)

Ask a Question: 

mean that complex MP planning and architecture, coding etc is in the dev's mind and planning in the overall IL-2 (series) , but not for the initial release, and fully developed later?

Perhaps, if the project is successful.

Am I the only one who finds this just a bit troubling?

Certainly the offline side of the entire series from V1.0 has needed help, no argument there.  However, the online players

have been a solid block, always there, and enjoying the challenge of fighting humans, rather than AIs, not to mention all the folks

that participate in online campaigns, wars, etc...

Just how will the online side be implemented at first?

Will there be any online/multiplayer content at all?

Should those of us that are primarily online flyers just wait a year or two before committing funds to the project?

Odd way to secure your financial future, buy alienating one part of the community.

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one who finds this just a bit troubling?

No mate. I'm with you.

Is this the result of the impossibly short deadline to produce a marketable sim?

This is dire news for those of us that fly online.

Be sure that if online is marginal or hobbled in any way from what we have come to expect,

that I, and many others will not be putting down cash just to "support the genre".

Economic times being what they are, I will no longer just blindly purchase any flight sim

that does not meet my requirements for value.

Loyalty is an earned thing, it should never be an expectation.

• Upvote 1

Online players are a small number compared to offline players but they make big noise on forums :)

It makes a good business decision to concentrate on the biggest number of buyers.

777 know the numbers from Rise of Flight.

• Upvote 1

...And off we go again. Loft writes that "Single campaign will be one of the bases in the gameplay", and it gets translated as "dire news", and as a statement that there won't be any online component at all...

Nowhere has anything of the sort been stated. How about using a bit of common sense?

• Upvote 2

Perhaps, if the project is successful.

Developers are runing against the clock, need make a successful business project and and make a successful flight sim.
I think we all need a successful BoS, A one year is a short time and I understand.  ;)

RoF is GREAT!! YES GREAT.. OMG! I never will be tire of saying This  :biggrin:

But..

Online players are a small number compared to offline players but they make big noise on forums  :)

777 know the numbers from Rise of Flight.

I understand that.. we are few .....

I bought  many planes in RoF,  and I Gift planes to some friends,  But something was missing RoF in multiplayer and online Team Coops , ( YES !! something was lack in  RoF multiplayer AND oline  team Coops )

For this reason... some time ago I do not buy more planes, none of my friends buy more planes... and we do not fly RoF any more ( Online and offline ).

We are few ???

But we like to make a lot of noise in the forums ...  YES we are online hunters !   ;)

Edited by Mustang

Certainly the offline side of the entire series from V1.0 has needed help, no argument there.  However, the online players

have been a solid block

I think I have seen numbers somewhere indicating 9 out of 10 buyers are offliners.