Sign in to follow this  
MLSK

IL2 on console

Is there any chance of ever seeing IL2 on console. On the Xbox one and PS4 or maybe in the next gen console, I hope so because my laptop is a bit weak for this game.

Speaking from only the perspective of an end user, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be technically possible, especially with the new hardware coming at the end of this year. But possible doesn’t mean probable. I highly doubt that any console ports are anywhere in their plans at all right now. This will most likely stay PC only.

It's unlikely. IL-2: Birds of Prey was the only IL-2 branded title to ever be on console (to my knowledge) and it was alright but consoles, even in the modern day, tend to lack the support for flight sims in terms of the configurable peripherals and the like that are needed. Not to say that it's impossible and certainly the next gen consoles have the compute power.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. If you want IL-2 to run better you're going to need to splash out on some gaming PC peripherals. If you're at all handy or willing to dive into the deep end, the cheapest way to get there is usually by building it yourself. I've been building my own PC's for about 15 years now (wow I can't believe it's been that long) and after the initial investment it gets a little bit cheaper. If you have a good mouse/keyboard/monitor/chassis you often don't need to replace those as often and so any subsequent upgrades are focused on CPU/RAM/mobo/GPU which are all expensive but you can do a full upgrade for anywhere between $800-1000 and get awesome bang for the buck.

I realize that's not necessarily in everyone's range either. Not sure what else to suggest unfortunately.

It would surely be possible and fun to play il2 with a PS4 gamepad, a thrustmaster PS4 HOTAS and PSVR...

why shouldn't it?

But I believe the potential market of enthusiasts willing to learn a quite complex military flightsim not offering any ingame tutorials to ease the learning and not owning or willing to buy a PC is so small, that the recourses spend to port would be wasted. 

Could be wrong of course. 

Microsoft's next title is going to be on their next console, I guess that'll be a good measure of if there's a market for simulators outside of PC

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I am myself playing IL2 Great Battles on 55" screen with Dualshock4, using the touchpad as POV (camera head movement), its the best close thing that will be near console experience. Also the touchpad helps a lot and in my opinion is better than moving head camera on cheap joyspick devices (unless you have trackir5).
Now people will say that I could use a joystick, but I much prefer playing with a controller and the touchpad gives you good advantage in dogfights than Xbox One controller for example.
If you want I can share my profile settings with the controls.

To the developers, thank you from the bottom of my heart that you support gamepad controllers in your sim.

The next big sim that will be available for Xbox is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Cannot wait to try it out on my PC and Xbox.

Edited by Zeev
  • Like 1

I play flight simulations with a 360 controller, hotas are too expensive an take space,  and it works great. 

The problem is not the console's controls, it's the difficulty to port a pc game to a console, especially a game as complexe as a simulation, if it's possible it would nevertheless require a lot of ressources (a whole lot of ressources) and I'm not sure that the devs are willing to make such a risky bet since the "console public" will be much more inclined to games like fortnite than smart and interesting games like simulations.

That's only my opinion and could be totally wrong by the way.

• Upvote 1

I play on gamepad similar to playstation ones and its no problems to play game that way ( easy to do in DCS and other flying games but here its best optimised ), and its perfect when you wont to be able to play on go with laptop, gampad and track ir you dont need anything els, but i see 0% chance they gona make this game for any of the consols. 

15 hours ago, CountZero said:

I play on gamepad similar to playstation ones and its no problems to play game that way ( easy to do in DCS and other flying games but here its best optimised ), and its perfect when you wont to be able to play on go with laptop, gampad and track ir you dont need anything els, but i see 0% chance they gona make this game for any of the consols. 

Are You playing Il2GB using gamepad on regular basis (multiplayer@WOL) or just casually ?

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Are You playing Il2GB using gamepad on regular basis (multiplayer@WOL) or just casually ?

Gamepad all the time

boxf310.jpg

Edited by CountZero
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

RT or LT = shoot all the guns

RB and LB= brake right / brake left

A=guns

B= bombs 

X= rockets

Y= both brakes

Left joystick = Elevator + ailerons

Right Joystick= Rudder

= zoom in

= zoom out

► = move head left

◄ = move head right

For the rest I'm relying heavily on my keyboard, which is not bad for flaps, trim or radiator controls but annoying for the throttle+ prop pitch. The mouse is for the camera.