Grumpy72

Joystick Frustrations

I am really at the end of my tether with this and I really need some help.
I have two copies of IL2 one on Steam and one on disk, the ultimate version patched to 4.13.4 (I think).
The problem is I cannot get the game to see my joysticks. I have three a VKB Gladiator MK11, a X56 stick and throttle and a T.Flight Hotas X. None of them exsist as far as both copies of the games are concerned. I've spent over a week on line trying to find a solution but nothing I've tried has made a blind bit of difference. I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge on this forum will soon have my problem sorted out. I don't even mind being shown to be a complete noob should the answer turn out to be something simple. 

S! 

Do you use them at the same time? Does Windows see them? Have you calibrated the VKB sticks using their own control software? 

Has been long since I played original IL-2, but should it not have a similar controller config file somewhere as the other iterations have? If deleting this file would reset the situation and plug in one of the sticks to see if it works? 

Sounds a bit like problem I've suffered too, but IF you have ONLY those 3 controllers then it is something different... You see IL-2 '46 supports only 4 first controllers (IIRC). If you have more attached (gamepads, throttles, rudders so on...) it just disregards some of them, depending of their id. I have had to use vJoy and Gremlin to map those, but it is pain/blind luck to get the vJoy to be one of those 4 first controllers.

Hi,

the first thing to do, before even thinking of running the game, is to ensure your Windows OS "sees" all your input devices and you can test/access them.

Now, it's been a really loooong time, I've played IL2-1946. But I remember having trouble assigning all my axis in the game. Some of my input devices,

although recognized in my Windows OS and working correctly there, simple were not recognized by the game.

So, I'm not sure how many devices this old game can manage or even recognize. Your combination of input combos means a lot of axis and buttons.

Maybe this is simply too much for IL2-1946.

My suggestion would be: Unplug all combos except one (f.ex. X56) and try to set it up in the game. Is this combo recognized and can you map all the

functions to the buttons, axis and rotaries?

Plug the next combo and check if it is seen by the game and if you still can map some additional functions. And so on...

Painful, I know, but it's the only way to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers 

Posted (edited)

@Grumpy72, hi mate, I played for years at IL-2 1946 patched to B.A.T. and I played (and I play on IL-2GB at present) with my DIY flightsim devices. Maybe mine is a silly question, but had you tried to set axis in the hotas section at the end of control setup page?

Here my devices config at the hotas section in the controls page:

20200402_113605.jpg

If you have done already this maybe you shall to test your devices as per Therion suggestion.

Ciao!

M

Edited by Marvel

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I should have said at the beginning that all the controllers were tried individually. All are seen and work in windows 10 and x-plane 11. The VRB stick has been calibrated in both windows and the VRB utility. My rudder pedals are the VRB ones and are connected either directly into the VRB stick or by USB via the box.  I have tried on the Hotas control page in the game but none of the joystick movements are registered.

Just trying to remember here, it's been a while, I think there is a separate menu where you calibrate your curves for the different axes on your controllers. There is a drop down menu of the different controllers - Joy1, Joy2, etc. Have you looked there to see if the game sees the various devices in that menu?

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Just trying to remember here, it's been a while, I think there is a separate menu where you calibrate your curves for the different axes on your controllers. There is a drop down menu of the different controllers - Joy1, Joy2, etc. Have you looked there to see if the game sees the various devices in that menu?

This is also is a stuff to check! 👍

Yes I've checked that drop down box. There's just a list of one to four joysticks, nothing else. What's confusing me the most is this is the same problem in two different installs of the same game. I've got Stalingrad, Bodenplatte and Cliffs Of Dover all of which work fine.

7 hours ago, Grumpy72 said:

Yes I've checked that drop down box. There's just a list of one to four joysticks, nothing else. What's confusing me the most is this is the same problem in two different installs of the same game. I've got Stalingrad, Bodenplatte and Cliffs Of Dover all of which work fine.

So it looks like the game sees the sticks...it just doesn’t register inputs from them. Weird. I feel like there is something you may have to do to enable hotas inputs but It’s been so long since I played and I don’t have 1946 installed anymore...

It just lists a list of generic joysticks numbered "Joystick 1" ,2,3,4. I'm surprised it didn't see the  T.Flight being an older simple stick. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy72 said:

It just lists a list of generic joysticks numbered "Joystick 1" ,2,3,4. I'm surprised it didn't see the  T.Flight being an older simple stick. 

Yeah, the game doesn't name what type of stick it is, it just numbers them as 1, 2 3 and 4.

Here's an older guide from Mission4Today on how to set up joysticks. I remember using it to set myself up years back. Perhaps it can help...you can probably ignore a lot of the stuff about setting up controllers in windows, but some of the troubleshooting may be of use. If I find anything useful I will let you know.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=261