KylerHolland

Bf-109 side window open/close

Hello, pilots!

Recently I've watched a video tutorial about Bf-109 (for Cliffs of Dover) where a narrator said that opening side window is useful to check for contacts somewhere around. The idea is that you reduce a throttle to a minimum and you open a side window to hear engines. The sound of engines will tell you whether it is enemy or not if you know how they sound like.

To me it sounds interesting. Would be nice to see this implemented in the game. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, KylerHolland said:

What do you guys think?

That sounds really hokey to me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KylerHolland said:

The idea is that you reduce a throttle to a minimum and you open a side window to hear engines.

Guy-with-Horn.jpg.fb33eccc78fcb19d928486dd5c9ced4c.jpg

• Haha 1

Here is that video:

At 5:00 he says that he basically uses that method in the game to find contacts. So, it is not bs, I guess.

It’s actually big bs as that is a multiplayer sound exploit in a different game.                                   Do you really think the Luftwaffe closed their throttles, opened the window and listened for the sound of Spitfire engines about to bounce them?🤔

7 hours ago, KylerHolland said:

Hello, pilots!

Recently I've watched a video tutorial about Bf-109 (for Cliffs of Dover) where a narrator said that opening side window is useful to check for contacts somewhere around. The idea is that you reduce a throttle to a minimum and you open a side window to hear engines. The sound of engines will tell you whether it is enemy or not if you know how they sound like.

To me it sounds interesting. Would be nice to see this implemented in the game. What do you guys think?

Irl this wouldn't work at all. Even at minimal throttle the wind noise alone would drown out most sound.

Even Il2 doesn't get noise correct, in reality would could barley hear your own guns if at all yet in game we hear nearly everything. Realistically about the only thing we'd hear is the engine, everything else would be through vibration/feeling (gunfire, hits to your aircraft, etc.)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

It’s actually big bs as that is a multiplayer sound exploit in a different game.                                   Do you really think the Luftwaffe closed their throttles, opened the window and listened for the sound of Spitfire engines about to bounce them?🤔

That would have made for some comedy gold combat reports on the Allied side:

"As I closed in on the enemy formation unseen, for some reason the pilots all had their left hand up to their ear, as if they were listening for some secret radio signal."

• Haha 4

Instead of opening the side window and holding your ear out, you might want to simply look around yourself, maybe fly a little turn to look behind and below, because if an aircraft (additionally to what Legioneod already mentioned) is near enough, that you could be able to hear it, you must be half blind, not to see it.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:13 PM, Legioneod said:

Irl this wouldn't work at all. Even at minimal throttle the wind noise alone would drown out most sound.

Even Il2 doesn't get noise correct, in reality would could barley hear your own guns if at all yet in game we hear nearly everything. Realistically about the only thing we'd hear is the engine, everything else would be through vibration/feeling (gunfire, hits to your aircraft, etc.)

man I would LOVE if someday devs makes the engine sound a real engine sound... It's not one of those things I "need" but... would be wonderful

Opening the window is essential:

• flying with my elbow laying out while cruising = looks cool
  • fresh air in the cabin to remove vomit smell 
  • throwing out my cigarette bud or beer can 
  • showing middle finger to enemy or to civilians while flying low
  • spitting on my ground crew for cleaning my windshield with butter

just the honk is missing... ☺️

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SixGuns said:

just the honk is missing... ☺️

And the fox brush on the antenna.