Sign in to follow this  
JG7_X-Man

OMG! Ultra Wide is the way to go - VR can wait!

We moved to a new house and the room my wife gave me to game in is quite bigger than my previous two 15x15 rooms so I had to go back to a desktop monitor.

After reading several reviews, I went with the Samsung CRG9 QLED 49" and I love it! Does anyone use this beautiful beast? Any tips on graphic settings?

Hello, could you comment on the impressions with that monitor. What differences do you get comparing it to a 16: 9. Thanks in advance. I am also interested in that monitor.

20 hours ago, HR_Milius said:

Hello, could you comment on the impressions with that monitor. What differences do you get comparing it to a 16: 9. Thanks in advance. I am also interested in that monitor.

Not OP but I have that monitor too. It's pretty incredible as a 2D gaming experience and I would wholeheartedly recommend the monitor. its 32:9 so its SuperUltraWide 5120 x 1440 at up to 120hz 8bit colour or 100hz 10bit HDR. A complete no regrets purchase. Maybe the best 32:9 on the market

(although they are bringing out a 32:9 @ 144hz this year at some point so maybe wait for that if 144hz is what you want).

That being said it's nothing like VR. VR is SUCH a leap forward that 2D gaming doesn't really compare. I tried to test the CRG9 with TrackIR and stopped after 5 minutes. VR had "ruined" it for me. It just felt 2D, compared to actually being in the cockpit with VR. Others may disagree I'm sure, but personally I can't go back to 2D.

• Upvote 1

I had the CRG9 for about a week, honestly it (like so many monitors) is over rated due to the backlight shining through the blacks, making them silvery and giving the whole image weird contrasts in the colours, most noticeable in dark scenes. This is exacerbated by the curve.

This seems to be a problem with so many monitors and I thought by now companies would have sorted it out but buying this monitor took me back to buying my first 27" IPS about 7 years old, I went through 3 before contacting I guy on YouTube who suggested an Eizo screen which I've been very happy with.

The size is awesome, I loved playing shooters on it but it's absolutely no substitute for VR.