Sign in to follow this  
Georgio

Virpil WarBrd base with Warthog Grip

Finally I've managed to extract a WarBrd base from deepest Lithuania.

I've been Thrustmaster for decades with the last 10 years on a Warthog setup.

Well all I can say is that the Virpil base is an extremely well engineered bit of kit and a World away from the rough casting and plastic gimbals of the Hog.

With the Warthog grip in place and standard springs it does feel a bit wobbly due to the weight of the grip.

But, man o man the precision, the accuracy, it's like night and day.

Funnily enough I'm reminded of my old CH fighter stick except that the Virpil is all superbly engineered metal.

I've only had chance for a couple of hours and I'm going to try the heavier springs tonight but this is the future for sure, they just need to sort out their production and store supply to get it away from the retarded beanfest it is currently.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You made the right choice with the WarBRD. I personally think its the better gimbal of the two. I sold my CM2 base and replaced it with a WarBRD. More deflection angle and linear force. The CM2 had asymmetry in the no center avasim cams. You can get nearly the same amount of resistance in the WarBRD with the heaviest springs that they sell separately. 

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=261204

Their customer service is actually terrible but the product is great so you probably won't need it.

Edited by driftaholic
  • Like 1

I swapped the standard springs with the supplied 'heavier' ones and this counters the weight of the Warthog grip nicely.

I've managed to knock up a desk mount out of odd brackets I have lying around as Virpil never seem to have their desk mounts available either.

Now I've had a couple of nights to get used to the new base, my admiration for this product is growing mainly due to the precision it gives your flying.

Don't get me wrong the Warthog was great for it's day but where's the upgrade path to engineered gimbals that should have happened over the past 10 years.

The progressive loading of the Warthog is nice as it gives a feeling of forces on control surfaces, but the 'woolly' centre precision lets the stick down especially with my favourite past time of ground strafing.

The WarBrd gives superb precision which makes strafing easier.

Virpil really need to get their business model sorted as they're losing so many customers who are fed up waiting for product.