Sign in to follow this  
-RR-Napoleon-

Another Flipping Bomber Thread

Posted (edited)

Ladies and gentlemen, I know there are a million threads out there for adding this or that plane for any number of reasons. I think we all know which bombers we’d love to see playable in game, but this is NOT a thread about that.
The Meat:
I understand the Devs have touched on this before, but with the Battle of Normandy and the Arado, Ju88C6, and Mosquito coming out soon, I wanted to bring this up again. The Western Allies really need a new playable Medium Bomber!
The path of least resistance seems to be variants of the current A-20. They were used heavily during the Normandy campaign. The current Lend-Lease version is a little impotent with its bomb load and defensive gunnery. I understand that nearly every other allied plane is a highly capable attacker but it would be amazing if we could use some Western Allied A-20s as flyable stop-gaps until we can get our dream planes (cough cough B-25/B-26)
I am fully aware of the difference between the Lendless A-20s and the ones used by RAF and AAFs but I feel like it would not be as much of a colossal task to modify the existing aircraft than building out brand new bombers. I would even be willing to pay bomber price for a combo pack of both RAF and USAAF verizon, that doesn’t seem too reasonable does it?
The Bombardier:
So I know there have been a few threads and posts about this scattered around but I thought I’d add my 2 cents to this as well. It would be a huge improvement to functionality and immersion to have a navigator/bombardier nose position available in single AND multiplayer. Being able to look out the nose and navigate accurately to help guide the pilot to a target would improve the multi-crewing experience immensely.

Dreams:

(B-25 and friends not withstanding here)
To add onto the bombardier navigator position, giving the navigator some map tools in a “bomb site” style map view would be really cool! That way they can call time to target, rate of fuel loss, wind drift etc. This would elevate the whole bomber crew experience.

Co-pilot/multiseat aircraft (Ju-52 and U-2) it would be really very cool if it was possible to pass control over to the other seat and take it back as PinC but also if the pilot were to be killed, control would pass automatically to the second seat. This would create a very immersive co-op/multiplayer experience. This feature would also be handy for teaching new players to fly and get used to the controls and feel of an aircraft. (I would love to see a trainers plane pack in the future)

Edited by -RR-Napoleon-
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Make mine an A20 G.  We don't need no stinking bombardier!

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Also a long time dream of mine.  It would have the added benefit of allowing the gunner to use the gunsight in TankCrew.

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The A-20G is a no-brainer considering its prominence in both Western Europe and the USSR, and the fact that we already have an earlier variant of it. If the devs aren't planning to do it at some point I'd really be surprised

But I also would like to see the Ju-88 updated.. I kind of feel the current one godawfull.. The pilot sits at odd eyeball hight, the linsenlafetten don´t rotate and thus all your defensive firing arcs are overly limited while the crosshair for the guns is overly fat and they vibrate so much that you are always struggeling to to fight..

16 hours ago, Monostripezebra said:

But I also would like to see the Ju-88 updated.. I kind of feel the current one godawfull.. The pilot sits at odd eyeball hight, the linsenlafetten don´t rotate and thus all your defensive firing arcs are overly limited while the crosshair for the guns is overly fat and they vibrate so much that you are always struggeling to to fight..

The best solution for the pilot height is to move the camera position all the way aft and all the way up. The view then becomes much, much better. 

Otherwise, yes, I'd like to see the function of the gun turrets updated. 

27 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Otherwise, yes, I'd like to see the function of the gun turrets updated. 

And the front machine gun, if not removd, fixed to the right side with the rear hanging in a loop, as the correct flight position IRL was, so the pilot can see the engine gauges.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Well I don´t insist on his name being Vassili but I´d need one to argue with and to blame for... until we get shot down.  🤣

So it has to be a proper bomber variant of the Mosquito. Until we get that one, I´d fly a B-25 or B-26 anytime.

Just don´t make another variant of the A-20 because I´m afraid, I couldn´t decide on which one to fly...😍 

I´m joking: please do it, I want to feel that pain of too many choices just like the 109 jockeys as well. 😁

Flying the A-20B right now is pretty much like flying an A-20G. I mean, it's understandable why the bombardier position wasn't modelled ($ and resources), but still, I feel that position should get modelled.