dukethejuke

Curved Screen Monitors/Grafics card

Opinion only:

If you're just using it for gaming they are great. if yo plan on using it for other tasks the benefits decrease. When I was faced with the decision I ultimately chose a large flat screen since I do mechanical design and drafting. For those tasks, curved screens can distort straight lines which is irritating.

I ended up with a 43" 4K monitor. Love it.

• Thanks 1

I use a Dell U3415W monitor (34", 3440x1440) and I like it for IL-2 and other games. I have yet to see any downsides with my monitor. 

• Thanks 1

I have the Acer Predator X34p and I think it's amazing. So far it's been great for flight sims and other games.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Right now I use a 43”TCI 4K tv, just wondering if the monitor would be a better way to go.

S! 

Using Asus P349Q 34" curved screen at 3440*1440/120Hz. IPS panel too. Very nice for gaming. 

• Thanks 1

Currently running 38” Acer 3840 x 1600 75hz monitor. For my use a good balance for gaming and development. Prior to that I was running a curved 55” tv which in some regards was better for gaming but a really poor compromise for productivity and development. 

• Thanks 1

The benefits are great in gaming and all other pc usage. It reduces eyestrain from the wide screen by bringing the left and right ends of the display closer, making them the same distance from your eyes as the center of the screen is. I have multiple workstations with a wide range of flat and curved displays - the curved displays are a noticeable improvement in every case.

• Thanks 1

Yes better then flat because of how 3D rendering works on a 2D panel it's slightly more accurate as well. Still personally I wouldn't trade size and resolution and especially refresh rate for a curve and the perfect monitor isn't out there, yet. That new Samsung though looks pretty darn sweet. https://blurbusters.com/samsung-to-unveil-odyssey-49g9-curved-gaming-monitor-with-5120x1440-at-240-hz/ 

• Thanks 1

I very much enjoyed an upgrade to ultrawide. It's only a 1080p ultrawide (2560x1080) but I could sit in my flight chair, pull the thing close to me, enable trackIR, and the immersion was really nice. The extra peripheral view helps a lot.

Of course, if you have $400 to spend on an ultrawide monitor you also have $400 to spend on a Rift S, and I'd recommend VR every day of the week if you're looking to take your flight sim experience to the next level.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking you'd need at least a 32" to benefit from a curved monitor. 27" seems like it might be like looking inside a bowl.

I have a 27" flat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you guys for your input. I believe I am going curved with your recommendations! The TV isn't doing it for me any more. 

On 3/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, Alonzo said:

I very much enjoyed an upgrade to ultrawide. It's only a 1080p ultrawide (2560x1080) but I could sit in my flight chair, pull the thing close to me, enable trackIR, and the immersion was really nice. The extra peripheral view helps a lot.

Of course, if you have $400 to spend on an ultrawide monitor you also have $400 to spend on a Rift S, and I'd recommend VR every day of the week if you're looking to take your flight sim experience to the next level.

OMG! I believe you about VR! But my wife thinks I am goofy enough with headphones and Trac IR. If I sit there and look like DEVO she will divorce me! Hmmm, on 2nd thought....

• Haha 1

Need your help: I have a 1660ti card, can I buy any curved screen? What specs would I have to watch for? Thanks Duke

Posted (edited)

Well for starters a 1660ti is pretty much a 1080p card, so be prepared to play in that resolution. A 4k or even a 1440p monitor wouldn't be of much use to you right now - unless you were buying with the intention of an upgrade in the not to distant future.

Edited by Redwo1f

2 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Well for starters a 1660ti is pretty much a 1080p card, so be prepared to play in that resolution. A 4k or even a 1440p monitor wouldn't be of much use to you right now - unless you were buying with the intention of an upgrade in the not to distant future.

Thank you!

Well I bit the bullet (not from a 109 thank heavens) and bought a LG 34" curved screen. It is a 1080P and overclocks 166. My FPS went from 60 with my TV to as high as 146 on this screen. I want to cry! I still need to get used to smaller cockpit but the beauty is well worth it. Spotting is better too! I watch a video on this monitor and the guy assumed it was 1440 and was heartbroken it was not.But at the end came to the conclusion that 1080 is better for gaming. His opinion, but if he has McDonalds advertising on his site I will believe him.https://youtu.be/1cKX9S7o5tg. Hope this is okay putting this link up.

Again Thank you all for your replies it is much appreciated, really!

I just purchased the Samsung CRG9 49" and I love it! My flying has gotten better too as I can see the bandit earlier than with my 55" LG OLED. As any of our resident aces will tell you, starting your offensive maneuvers (i.e putting your aircraft into the most favorable shooting position) before the other guy is the key to any successful engagement. Which is why the F-15 and now the F-22 is the king of the skies.

I am 3 ft from my screen at 5120x1440 @120Hz is perfect! With my LG 55" OLED, I had to set it to 1080P sitting 12ft away.