Blitzen

Info requested on 2080 graphics cards requested

I got an email ad from Best Buy yesterday pitching a big sale they were having( of course they're always having some sort of sale...) on electronics.Just for fun I looked up what current prices were for 2080 cards.I know there is one in my future sometime after I replace my Pimax5K with some SCD free HDS. That is as I said in the future, but perhaps at some stage , budget and price permitting I might buy a 2080 card& stock it away until a new headset comes to the market that I can afford...yes to sort of soften the blow of the price of both items purchased together.

Now to the point of this post.Best Buy offered at least 6 choices in 2080 cards ranging in price for about $400.00 to( an expected  $8-900.00. I have no idea as to the differences in all these choices & wonder if someone could clue me in? It doesn't necessarily mean I will buy at Best Buy ( there's always EBAY for bargains ) but just that I'd like to be a little more knowledgeable about newer graphics cards.I might even just buy a fully "Games equipped /designed "PC when the time comes-it would still be nice to know what goes on inside it?

Posted (edited)

I don't think it is a good idea to buy a GPU and leave it stored for the future. You will most likely lose on the trade with the next generation (that might come soon). A 3070 will most likely be stronger than the current 2080 Super (not the 2080 vanilla) and with a similar price of this sale you mentioned, perhaps follwoing the same $500 of the current 2070 Super. Better to save the money. Unless you live in a place where the dollar trade could skyrocket, then you might gamble now to don't lose later (*not your case).

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I got an email ad from Best Buy yesterday pitching a big sale they were having( of course they're always having some sort of sale...) on electronics.Just for fun I looked up what current prices were for 2080 cards.I know there is one in my future sometime after I replace my Pimax5K with some SCD free HDS. That is as I said in the future, but perhaps at some stage , budget and price permitting I might buy a 2080 card& stock it away until a new headset comes to the market that I can afford...yes to sort of soften the blow of the price of both items purchased together.

Now to the point of this post.Best Buy offered at least 6 choices in 2080 cards ranging in price for about $400.00 to( an expected  $8-900.00. I have no idea as to the differences in all these choices & wonder if someone could clue me in? It doesn't necessarily mean I will buy at Best Buy ( there's always EBAY for bargains ) but just that I'd like to be a little more knowledgeable about newer graphics cards.I might even just buy a fully "Games equipped /designed "PC when the time comes-it would still be nice to know what goes on inside it?

I'm sort of in the same boat but looking more for a card that will do me better at 1080p 60fps.

What I've noted is that in any given card there is a lot of variation.

For a lot of Nvidia cards there are 3 different 'base' models sometimes - The stock version, the Super version, and the TI version. 

for example, for the 1660 I am looking at, there is the 1660, The 1660 Super, and the 1660ti. For the 1660, the Super is the same unit but with faster memory and more memory bandwidth. The TI version often has more CUDA cores and more memory so they are often substantially better. The difference in cost between Stock and Super is usually not much and the performance gains can be great. The price difference for the TI is usually substantial but you also get bigger performance boosts most of the time.

So from these base models, a bunch of different companies like ASUS and EVGA will make their own versions of these stock cards, adding their own cooling solutions or overclocking them to get better performance. So for any given Stock, Super or TI card there will be a variety of different setups. Usually if the model number has an OC in it it means the card is overclocked, and it usually ships with some software that lets you choose pre-made profiles to boost the clock speed of the GPU. Overclocked versions may be more expensive than others, not least because they often need more extensive cooling. The difference in price between these cards is usually not more than a hundred to two hundred dollars.

400.00 for a 2080 card seems quite cheap, tbh. I'm not seeing them where I am for less than $900.00 refurbished (though this is canadian dollars, so maybe 600 dollars American).

The next generation of Nvidia cards are due out later this year, so a lot of people are waiting...but with all this stuff going on with the Corona virus a lot of supply chains are disrupted and I think the new stuff will probably be delayed and/or more expensive. 

VR users will probably jump in and let you know what you may need for good VR performance with a new headset - I imagine a 2080TI is going to be much better than a normal 2080.

3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I got an email ad from Best Buy yesterday pitching a big sale they were having( of course they're always having some sort of sale...) on electronics.Just for fun I looked up what current prices were for 2080 cards.I know there is one in my future sometime after I replace my Pimax5K with some SCD free HDS.

Now to the point of this post.Best Buy offered at least 6 choices in 2080 cards ranging in price for about $400.00 to( an expected  $8-900.00. I have no idea as to the differences in all these choices & wonder if someone could clue me in? It doesn't necessarily mean I will buy at Best Buy ( there's always EBAY for bargains ) but just that I'd like to be a little more knowledgeable about newer graphics cards.

What do you currently have? There would make little sense in buying a card and sitting on it. Might as well put it in your PC and sell the old one.

I have a 2080 XC Ultra from EVGA. It's not really much faster than a 1080ti. Once you've narrowed your choice to a specific chip (e.g. 2080, 2080ti) the performance differences between cards are going to be fairly minor, certainly a lot less than between chips. The cards will vary a lot on things like thermals and noise, however -- that's how all the card makers are differentiating these days.

For your Pimax 5K I think you'd enjoy the extra pixels you can push with a 2080, if you're currently using a 1080 (non-ti) or below. If you already have a 1080ti, skip the 2080. I'd even advise skipping a 1080ti -> 2080ti upgrade at this stage, yes it's 30-40% more performance but the 2080ti is staggeringly expensive.

A quick search on BestBuy.com yields only 2080 cards in the $700+ range, though. I don't know where you're seeing $400.

I've got an 1080 Nvidia card right now that is maybe a year or so old.I get good if not great performance( FPS is acceptable with Ultra settings but won't set the world on fire  35-45 FPS that is) with it & my similar aged Pimax5K.Good enough that I don't want to replace it any time before the next generation of headsets come out .Maybe Oculus wil raise its game? Ergonomically the Pimax is far from perfect but its FoV and its SDE is acceptable,(i.e. better than the other HDS I tested in 2019.) I know replacing it & the graphics card will just about bust my budget so I'd like to ( & can) delay that expense ( and my wife's raised eyebrow) until new & better HDS's & graphic cards hit the market.The prices of current but then older but still high performance cards might drop when the newer cards arrive.

So far I haven't read in postings here that such new & improved products are here....yet. So I'll continue to wait & save I guess....

b98227422f77b92d73515c18be6bd5f2--retro-futurism-vintage-toys.jpg

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I've got an 1080 Nvidia card right now that is maybe a year or so old.I get good if not great performance( FPS is acceptable with Ultra settings but won't set the world on fire  35-45 FPS that is) with it & my similar aged Pimax5K.Good enough that I don't want to replace it any time before the next generation of headsets come out .Maybe Oculus wil raise its game? Ergonomically the Pimax is far from perfect but its FoV and its SDE is acceptable,(i.e. better than the other HDS I tested in 2019.) I know replacing it & the graphics card will just about bust my budget so I'd like to ( & can) delay that expense ( and my wife's raised eyebrow) until new & better HDS's & graphic cards hit the market.The prices of current but then older but still high performance cards might drop when the newer cards arrive.

So far I haven't read in postings here that such new & improved products are here....yet. So I'll continue to wait & save I guess....

b98227422f77b92d73515c18be6bd5f2--retro-futurism-vintage-toys.jpg

I've seen rumors that speculate that the RTX 30XX series are going to be cheaper to manufacture and may themselves be cheaper on launch than the 20XX series were. In that case, if you can wait until its released, you can see if a) there's a discount on the 2080TIs or b) if the new 3070 and 3080 are significantly better for the same price.

It could be marginal gains between them, we can only wait and see what happens.