Otto_bann

Is playing on our sim in 4k is really dumb?

Hi Guys,

My new video card is coming this week and I planed to change my monitor soon to a 4K.

When I went from HD to 2K I was surprised at the most picture quality of 2K and I imagined it would be the same if I buy a 4K. But, this video makes me doubt ...

I'm sure some of guys here are playing in 4k at native resolution : please tell me if this video tells the truth or not because buying a 4K to don't see better than in 2K would not be a good deal ...

https://youtu.be/ehvz3iN8pp4

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Of course it makes a big difference on a ... large monitor that is.

Starting from 32 inches, IMHO, 4K is a must (to me anyway).

IL-2 and DCS are terrific in glorious 4K.

8K is another matter ... unless you have 20/20 vision as well as a 88+ inch screen it makes little difference.

You can find most of what matters over here ...

https://www.techhive.com/article/3529913/8k-vs-4k-tvs-most-consumers-cannot-tell-the-difference.html

However 2K > QHD > 4K does make a difference.

One big IF ... not all games are true QHD or 4K textured, optimized ... then playing those (older) games, even in Windows 4K, may make you believe it is played in lower resolution.

Again, IMHO, I have played IL-2, DCS, ... in 2k, QHD as well as 4K and each time I immediately noticed real benefits.

Edited by simfan2015
  • Upvote 1

Every time I sit down at my 4K monitor I am just amazed again and again. Sometimes i catch myself just grinning stupidly for no good reason.  I have tried VR last year and even though I liked the immersion a whole lot I was just not willing to give up the eye candy...maybe Pimax 8k this year , will see....

😊

Great advantage of 4k is that you can play on a huge monitor and still have very sharp and clear graphics. I currently have a 32inch 4k monitor and it seems too small now after I got used to it (plus it doesn't have Vsync so it is not smooth under 60fps).

To alleviate that I wanted to buy a Vsync 38inch 4k as it seemed the ideal size/configuration but unfortunately NOBODY makes those.

It is moot point for me anyway because I have HP Reverb now and play in VR which suddenly seems like a bargain because those top-of-the-line monitors are outrageously priced, costing upwards of $1500-$2000 dollars.

Posted (edited)

Just to add support to what the others said, it makes a very large difference in quality in 4.  You will know where your money went immediately.

If anything the one excuse for not getting a big 4k monitor and playing everything in 4k is that not all games can achieve 60fps in 4k yet even with the best hardware.  But now you are spoiled and anything less than 4k looks blurry and awful!

On SMALL monitors it makes very little difference.  For example I have a laptop that can achieve 4k speeds for many games and a small 15.something inch 4k monitor on it, however at that small size 2k/4k makes very little difference in picture quality.  It is barely noticeable.

Edited by Smeggles

4K on a 43" monitor is just amazing. The advantage of 4K is that you can be at about 1mt distance and then it covers a good chunk of your field of vision with a crisp image.

When you are in the cockpit the image of the cockpit is large so more realistic. You feel more in it. But I think 43" is the upper limit. Going large does not make it better because of the flattness. Maybe a curved screen can help improve up to 60", but I feel the curvature of those screens is too small. Probably then we have to go VR in the future for real immersion.

Posted (edited)

If I were buying a 4K monitor it would be a LG OLED TV with g-sync. However I prefer VR and can't go back to 2D

Edited by driftaholic

Posted (edited)

Indeed driftaholic, the new LG OLED48CX is my choice.

At the end of May we can get it at around 1700 USD/EUR for about the same amount of money as the PIMAX 8K+.

Of course there is no comparison because probably no flat screen (however big and/or curved) can offer true VR immersion.

I will buy the LG though because that 48 inch OLED screen can be used for so much more content than the PIMAX.

Also an RTX 2080 Ti gets us 4K up to 120 FPS (VRR + g-Sync) on that screen/monitor unlike any PIMAX 8K can do right now.

1700 USD is a steal if you compare it against true dedicated gaming monitors of the same size which are not even OLED !

This LG OLED48CX will probably be sold out immediately ... it will probably prove that disruptive !?   

Edited by simfan2015

I got an LG OLED 65" C8, and I still prefer VR (Pimax 5K+ currently, and 8KX once released). But each to his own.

The C9 at 55" and on sale often below $1100.  Though 48" maybe be a better sweet spot but not for $600. Just scoot the monitor back. I once played this sim on a 172" 1080p projection. The extra size is nice. 

There is something else VR does far better then a flat screen.. 🙈

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:20 AM, driftaholic said:

The C9 at 55" and on sale often below $1100.  Though 48" maybe be a better sweet spot but not for $600. Just scoot the monitor back. I once played this sim on a 172" 1080p projection. The extra size is nice. 

There is something else VR does far better then a flat screen.. 🙈

Agreed on the VR thing. Three years in now and I wouldn't fly 2D now if you paid me....🤣

On 3/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, Otto_bann said:

This guy is a total idiot. Gaming in 4K looks fantastic IF you have the hardware to run it. The difference in resolution compared to 1080p is very apparent on a decent size screen ie 27”+ or perhaps smaller. Ask yourself; Do you need to use antialiasing on your 1080p screen? If so then you’ll see the benefit of 4K. If I run 1440p on a 28” 4K screen (upscaled) it looks noticeably soft so the difference in resolution is a apparent there too. 4K makes your PC screen look like a big Retina display. In flight sims the extra resolution is a definite plus, IDing other aircraft or reading cockpit instruments. This game looks gorgeous in 2160p

You don’t need a measuring tape, you can SEE the difference! Tech Tips guy is a dummy. 🙄

I don't think it's dumb - but it depends on a few factors: It's about not playing at a disadvantage, by choice LOL

How far you sit from the monitor makes the most difference. I have noticed with my 55" at 8-12 ft you need to be 1080p to be competitive online. Offline, it's just you and AI so 4K is OK.

In debating b/w VR and an Ultrawide, I chose an Ultrawide and at 3ft away, you can run this at 4K and still be highly competitive online.

I personally will be holding out on VR until the technology matures and games will come fully integrated with the VR headset and haptic and force feedback gloves.

However, I do appreciate all the early adopters keeping the cash flow going. To think my joystick choice was made in 2010, while my 2019 VPC MongoosT-50CM2 sits in a box tells me all I need to know about how this may end.

Posted (edited)

I do think the priorities should be:

1st - A consistent frame rate, at least 60fps

2nd - Ultra graphic settings

3rd - Resolution

I think all things considered, resolution is the least important. Yes 4K looks fantastic but it’s not worth sacrificing graphic settings or frame rate. 
if your hardware can accomplish #1 and #2 then going 4K is worthwhile. For flight sims I’d be willing to bend those requirements a bit because this genre really benefits from more pixels. If considering say an FPS game, higher fps might be more important. 

Edited by SharpeXB

I personally think a high frame rate is most important, followed by pixel response times. Then resolution followed by graphics settings. Motion blur is the most annoying thing to me with aliasing being next. Play older games in high resolution and suddenly they look almost new.