Sign in to follow this  
SvAF/F19_Klunk

Hardware recommendations

Been away for a few years due to ... life.

Eager to come back though, but need a new rig, the old one died on me.

been looking at this one: will it be ok?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
ASUS PRIME B450-A
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Vengeance LPX
Intel 660p 512GB SSD

ty

S!

That setup will run IL-2 without any difficulties. You could even swap the 3700X to a 3600 and use the saving for better cooling and/or 3200MHz CL14 memory.

Posted (edited)

the Ryzen 5? is my choice overkill?

this would be my first non intel/nvidia rig ever... so I have no clue really, but it looks like this is more buck for my money

Edited by SvAF/F19_Klunk

1 hour ago, SvAF/F19_Klunk said:

this would be my first non intel/nvidia rig ever... so I have no clue really, but it looks like this is more buck for my money

Well, if you can afford it, I would go with the better one now, as you will then have a longer period before you have to replace it. Bodenplatte in particular seems to require higher performance and Battle of Normandy might continue that trend, so having some performance headroom is probably for the best if you can manage it.

4 hours ago, SvAF/F19_Klunk said:

For now, this game can't really make the difference between R5 and R7, or R9 for that matter.

I built my system before the R9 3950x was released and i dropped a 3600x in until the 16 core monster was released. After swapping the CPU to the 3950x i got in Chilly's benchmar about two-three frames advantage, with everything else being exactly the same.

If this game is all you play Ryzen 5 3600/3600x is good enough.(the 3600x is just a factory overclocked 3600.)

Other more modern games will be able to make use of the extra computing power and extra cores/threads the 3700x brings to the table.

What display will you be using. Are you planning to play 4K all set to ultra, or are you playing VR. How important is for you the visual quality, the rendering, or you do not mind. These choices may impact the hardware specs.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SvAF/F19_Klunk said:

Been away for a few years due to ... life.

Eager to come back though, but need a new rig, the old one died on me.

been looking at this one: will it be ok?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
ASUS PRIME B450-A
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Vengeance LPX
Intel 660p 512GB SSD

ty

I think this PC may come a little short on GPU if you want to play in 4k Ultra all settings max with no dips, but if you're staying at sub 4k resolutions, or can tolerate small to modest FPS drops in 4k  it should be more than sufficient.  Could even save money and  go with a Ryzen 5  and spend that money instead on lower latency ram.

Im not certain about VR suitability.  I have a VR setup now but I'm still finding the limitations of my system and trying different configurations so I don't feel qualified to comment on VR.

Edited by Smeggles

Posted (edited)

I just built my first AMD board too. Though I think Nvidia still owns the GPU market. 

I use a 3800X and a 2070 Super. In VR these still limit me to Balanced settings and I'm GPU limited near the ground and CPU limited when there is a lot of objects. This is 100% scaling on 2160x2160 HP Reverb. Usually runs around 45fps on the ground and 60-80fps air in VR depending on clouds.

3800X is a steal right now. B450 is a solid chipset, no sense spending more on PCIE Gen 4 yet. Though I did for some future proofing and I think we all know that's a myth lol. I think 2070 Super is the best price/performance value for a GPU right now, it can almost max my 1440p 144hz monitor. Getting 100-120fps in this game on maxed settings. We're only potentially a few months away from 30 series cards so maybe it's best to wait for prices to shift prior to their launch on the GPU side of things. I would most defiantly pull the trigger on the rest of the system soon. Memory and SSD's are super cheap at the moment.  Ryzen is very memory dependent so make sure you buy from the Motherboard vendor's QVL list. The 3800x is only $40 more and it's the fastest single thread processor AMD offers and this game is very dependent on single thread performance. 

Maybe a stop-gap with a 1660ti until new gen is release this summer or the press on 5700XT I think it's a solid value also. Also maybe consider a 1080 TI on the used market.

Edited by driftaholic

thank u all for the input..

No 4 K here...went for the rig and it works like a charm:)

thank u all!

• Upvote 1