A while ago I started making a website covering data for allied aircraft in the Great Battles series - I remember posting on reddit about it and thought I had posted here, but it seems not.

I thought it may not be a bad idea to post here when certain things have been done on the website, as I build it. Like I said, it only covers allied aircraft - I don't fly Axis aircraft and don't own the collectors axis aircraft, so it would be pointless trying to cover things that I can't check and actually know little about. imho that is how it should be - that is how it was for the pilots of the time - they didn't get to fly an enemy plane before they fought against it and know all its little vices. They only knew the little they were told (and I use the RAF info from the time, when I fly) and what they found out from combat. As I said on reddit, if anyone else wants to help make the site by writing pages for the axis aircraft I'd be happy with that.

Each aircraft will have pages for the following:

Aircraft home & contents page, with links to the other pages for that aircraft:

Specifications page

Mods & armaments page

Cockpit guide page

Flying & combat page

Paint scheme page

The specifications is well under way - I've got about 8 aircraft covered so far and the rest will be done soon. The main task here is editing that info given in the manuals and online for the sim into English and relevant sections.

Mods & Armaments are just what it says. These are the additional mods you can fit before each mission, plus where I can,  the ammunition presets available.

Cockpit Guides will consist of at least 3 diagrams from the cockpit - the front panel and left & right consoles/controls etc. The screenshots are taken from the game and I label the relevant controls in yellow, plus showing which direction increases or decreases an effect. I intend on providing advice for this, too, but haven't yet decided whether to put that in the cockpit guides or flying and combat pages (such as use of cowl or radiator flaps, monitoring temperatures etc). Currently only the A-20 has the cockpit page started, and the left panel diagram is attached, as an example.

Flying and combat is what will take the longest, so I'll be doing it last. It's exactly what it says - it will explain how best to start up (warm-up temperatures etc), how to take off (flaps or not, speeds, MTOW, etc), land and so on. The combat side will consist of tips for bullet convergence, bombing dive angles, speeds, altitudes etc and also aerodynamic characteristics. I've purchased books to this end and obviously they take time to read through and collate the relevant info. I've already come across some eye-opening facts about Soviet air regiments of the time and some of the things they got up to that would have had western pilots in the glasshouse had they done the same. So it's not all the same old same old.

I only just started doing the paint schemes - it was a bit of an afterthough tbh, but I thought "why not?" so that will include all of the different paint schemes that come with each aircraft.

I decided to post here and keep it current, as I have had to take a break whilst building a new PC after my lest motherboard died a death, so I can assure visitors that things are continuing. I have stated on the home page that I hope to have the site completed by the end of the year - and I think that's a reasonable guesstimate, but things do get in the way, so this is where I can let you know if I'm having to take time out for other things, when new stuff stops appearing on the site.

The link is in my signature.

leftcockpit.png

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4

I've stopped working on the website. My consultant told me if I get Covid-19 I won't survive, so I'm busy trying to do things to keep me active and happy and take my mind off the threat to my elderly relatives, too. On the other hand, I may soon be confined to my home, so in that case I will work on it, probably a lot more.

If additions stop permanently or it gets taken down, you'll know why.

I think that Covid-19 is a serious issue, but I assume that this topic will soon take a back seat and there will be a cure for all concerned.

Therefore, I assume that your great website will be continuously updated for a very long time.

Doing things to keep yourself active and happy should be a top priority at all times! 🙂

(via Google translator)🤓

• Like 1

Its an excellent site which has clearly taken a lot effort and is I am sure appreciated by the community. Thank you.

Covid 19 is a serious thing, the like of which we havent seen in 50yrs. There are serious strides being made into testing kits and vaccine so I would say to you, stay strong, do what you can to stay safe and well, and try not to let it get you down. Easy to say I know but....

• Like 1

Thanks, guys, I'm currently stuck in the top half of our house, having to keep my distance from my wife, who goes to work every day! But I'm glad you like the site - I hadn't had any feedback at all and was beginning to wonder if I should abandon it - so now I will continue with a smile :)

I'm a bit busy with research for JM on the Ardennes offensive just now, trying to find the time for everything, I'm also working on my FSX/P3D site, but have stopped updating the DCS World one for the time being. I have lots of data for the IL-2 website, it just needs editing, uploading and formating.

So many things to do, so few hours in a day!

• Upvote 1

I think your site is a very good idea

• Thanks 1

Hi,

your website is wonderful with lots of useful information - especially for beginners wanting to get into GB series. And I like the compact, well sorted layout

of your site. Please, I encourage you to continue your great work.

We have hard times now, so take care - you and your beloved ones - and stay at home. Thank you!

Cheerio

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you guys - and best wishes to you all - stay safe! 🙋‍♂️

Edited by JD_LincsUK

Posted (edited)

OK - now adding further pages. Was up all last night with asthma attacks (I was cleared of it  8 years ago but it has returned with the high tree pollen this year - drat!) so I spent a few hours working on the website in the early hours. I'm happy with the new liveries sections, but I hope to improve the modifications pages at some point.

I want to show all the available presets for each aircraft, but for some reason I just can't get them all to display in the sim UI, so at the moment I'm just including those that I can get to appear.

Edited by JD_LincsUK

Bugger! Unfortunately, whilst working on the site today somehow my entire working folder has been permanantly deleted. That's dozens of hours work gone and it will take some time to do it all again - not just the hundreds of screenshots needed from the sim, but the converting, editing and so-on, as well as all the info gathered. It was actually the Flying Circus items I was editing, none of which has so far been made public on the website, but that was within the folder that contained all the Great Battles stuff.

Real blow. I do have a back-up, but it's an old one, so a lot has been added since that isn't in it.

Needless to say the site will be staying as it is for a while. Apologies, but there's not much I can do right away and it will take some time before I cans start adding things again - but I'll get straight on it.