Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
[Pb]Slegawsky_VR

Midget size cockpits in HP Reverb

Recommended Posts

New to VR and was surprised how tiny cockpits are, especially Spitfires. No head movement at all, very frustrating to seat in a midget size aircraft. Have gone through some tweaking and failed.

Was wondering if there will be a possible fix in near future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Reverb but don't have this "midget size cockpits" problem, granted: some cockpits are tight, even borderline claustrophobic, but others are quite spacious (like Tempest or IL2). They all seem entirely convincing and realistic to me, including their scale, so I suspect you have it bugged somehow.

 

You may want to adjust your position: In Game Menu: "Camera Controls" -> "Reset Camera" will allow you to center view in VR and when using TrackIR.

Personally I have bound this "Reset Camera" adjustment to my joystick's left hat switch (but I rarely use it because the system remembers the initial position well).

Also this works in reverse, at least for me,  so if you want to sit higher you should sink in your chair and click "Reset Camera", same for all other directions including forward-back.

 

Obviously the end result should be so that you don't go physically outside the cockpit in VR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you tried the in-game IPD adjustment (it's not the same as your headset IPD, more like world-scale)?  Default keys are RShift + left/ right arrow keys (edit; these may not be the default, see posts below), and there is a visual indicator.  Helps (somewhat) with head movement space also.  You can also turn off the head movement limits (allow spectators to on) in the custom diffuclty setting if you primarily play SP (most MP servers have it off).

 

3Dmigoto mod also has an IPD adjustment.  I use a mixture of both that and in-game for scale in a Reverb (using the in-game and a real Spit MkIX, which is by default slightly too small for me).  Restricted head movement is still somewhat annyoing without limits turned off.

 

On 3/2/2020 at 11:24 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

I have the Reverb but don't have this "midget size cockpits" problem, granted: some cockpits are tight, even borderline claustrophobic, but others are quite spacious (like Tempest or IL2). They all seem entirely convincing and realistic to me, including their scale, so I suspect you have it bugged somehow.

 

 

World-scale is very much an individual setting based on your eyes (and headset) IPD, so cockpits can defintely be too small or large.

Edited by Dijital_Majik
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice, It seems like Spitfire cockpits are miniaturized but Ive been flying P-51 and Is similar to DCs one as far as size is concerned minus headmovement.

Looking through gunsight makes my eyes go sideways and strain but again P-51 has no such issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

spitfire cockpits are small anyway , many books from real life pilots mention the shoulder room as touching the sides , even an account I read recently from a woman transport pilot said how small it was … for me,   I have sat in a spitfire , and it is not in any way huge , on the same day I sat in a p47 … that was like sitting in your front room :)  ... the size difference was so different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, [Pb]Slegawsky_VR said:

I meant headroom and world scale, much smaller to the point that cockpit moves with my headset when moving arround.

 there is a separate thread for this problem as such  .. more to do with light levels in the room ?

 

 

atb oxo

Edited by 123UKoxo-uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any sort of reference in game so you know the cockpit looks the correct scale? Watching videos online, ww2 fighter cockpits are smaller than we think...but still I think my scale seems slightly too small maybe? The throttles and balls on the levers look a bit too small perhaps I'm not sure. Any good way to measure in game in VR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you're using steamvr you can adjust the ipdoffset in the config file. This changes the entire game scale. I offset mine about 8mm and it made a HUGE difference. The cockpit/aircraft seemed about 80% the size in real life, now things feel a lot more life size. It also makes gauges bigger etc. All around helpful. 

 

That file is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config

 

"ipdOffset": 0.0  is the default. The value is in meters so an ipd offset of -8mm is then "ipdOffset": -0.008. Play with this value as desired until things feel the right size. 

 

EDIT: Please see my post below for more details.

 

Edited by Floppy_Sock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80% size is exactly what I meant, not sure how the negative ipd values work tho.

-0.008 didnt change a thing but thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, [Pb]Slegawsky_VR said:

80% size is exactly what I meant, not sure how the negative ipd values work tho.

-0.008 didnt change a thing but thanks for the info.

 

Did you try the in-game ipd adjustment I suggested in my first post?  That would solve your issue without having to set a global ipd offset in steam, which affects all games.  You can even change it when you change planes if you find only the Spitfire is too small. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dijital_Majik said:

 

Did you try the in-game ipd adjustment I suggested in my first post?  That would solve your issue without having to set a global ipd offset in steam, which affects all games.  You can even change it when you change planes if you find only the Spitfire is too small. 

I've been messing with right shift plus left and right arrows to no effect.  Guesses as to what I might be doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

I've been messing with right shift plus left and right arrows to no effect.  Guesses as to what I might be doing wrong?

 

You should see bright green text come up right in your eyeline with ipd offset percentages, if you don't, then nothing's happening.

First thing I'd do is double check key bindings; IIRC these are at the bottom of the "service" tab.  Make sure you don't have any conflicts etc.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 6:01 AM, [Pb]Slegawsky_VR said:

80% size is exactly what I meant, not sure how the negative ipd values work tho.

-0.008 didnt change a thing but thanks for the info.

 

I made a mistake. The filepath I had written in my original post is the default settings for steamvr. The correct config location is now in my post above. Please try again. Try something big like -.015 at first to make sure it's working. Things should seem much larger. Then dial it back until it feels natural. Every time you change it you must restart steamvr unfortunately. 

 

Furthermore, when you open that file, you might not find the ipdoffset command in the config file. If that's the case, you must add it to the steamvr block. For me it's at the bottom of the file. It looks like this, just add another line and paste it in.

   "steamvr" : { 
   	...
   	...
  	...
	"ipdOffset" : -0.008,
	...
   },

 

 

Sorry for the mistake!

Edited by Floppy_Sock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 12:09 PM, JG51_Beazil said:

I've been messing with right shift plus left and right arrows to no effect.  Guesses as to what I might be doing wrong?

 

My defaults were RSHIFT and Numpad ENTER or Numpad + 

 

Not looking to change ti but this thread made me curious.  But now if I wanted to, I can do the Steve Martin thing and "get small"  :)

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

 

My defaults were RSHIFT and Numpad ENTER or Numpad + 

 

Not looking to change ti but this thread made me curious.  But now if I wanted to, I can do the Steve Martin thing and "get small"  :)

 

I don't have a numpad on the wireless keyboard on my rig, so it's entriely plausible that I remapped the controls and completely forgot the defaults 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, kestrel79 said:

Is there any sort of reference in game so you know the cockpit looks the correct scale? Watching videos online, ww2 fighter cockpits are smaller than we think...but still I think my scale seems slightly too small maybe? The throttles and balls on the levers look a bit too small perhaps I'm not sure. Any good way to measure in game in VR?

Looking at flat screen stick and all cockpit elements look great, however 3D changes everything.

Maybe pilots head in vr is over-sized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it figured out.  Also just got a pimax update to what appears to be 144hz wide mode.   Looks amazing.  Tweaking (twerking?) now!   🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 10:41 PM, JG51_Beazil said:

Got it figured out.  Also just got a pimax update to what appears to be 144hz wide mode.   Looks amazing.  Tweaking (twerking?) now!   🙂

Care to share your fix for the rest of us with the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 19.FS//pezman said:

Care to share your fix for the rest of us with the issue?

Yeah.  It turned out to be a bug.  If I used the old pimax version with the new firmware I can actually get wide view at 144 Hz.  However the image needs a lot of tweaking.  If you use the "proper" updated pimax tool with the new firmware you are limited to small and normal in 144hz.

I have a 5k plus and I guess it is a 203 revision, as I am able to get 144 Hz.  If you have a 202 version or lower the new firmware will be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, [Pb]Slegawsky_VR said:

I meant headroom and world scale, much smaller to the point that cockpit moves with my headset when moving arround.

If the cockpit is moving with your head, then you need to make sur eto calibrate your Reverb before starting he game.

 

Basically first turn on WMR and put on the head set. It will probably ask you to look around, and it will calibrate itself. Once you are in the WMR waiting room, you can see if the world move with your head, or if it works now. Once it works in the waiting room, then you start Il-2.

 

If your head is hitting the cockpit windows, then you need to turn on External Views in your difficulty settings. With External Views turned on, you will simply clip through the cockpit entirely, rather than having the weird cockpit moving with your head effect.

 

The spitfire is *extremely* small. Couldn't find the Kermit Week's one on being in the 109 ("Its like formula 1 car, you can barely move your head"), but did find this one: 

 

You can see how easily he's into the canopy frame line just by looking around.

 

Here's another Spitfire cam: You can see how tiny the plane is: 

 

 

Compare it to say, the P-47: 

 

 

 

Finally, when the reflector sight is close to your eyes, it is not possible to focus so that both eyes see the overlapped reticle, because there isn't enough reflect. The P-40 has this issue too. The solution is to ignore the sight and only focus on targets. When you have a target that you are focusing at, your eyes will assemble the reticle correctly, even though there is a gap in the full reticle. The P-51 and P-47 don't have this problem because they have very big reflector sights such that most of the reticle is visible to both eyes in any position.

Edited by Voyager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can confirm that gunsight of most aircraft is impossible to focus my eyes on. Very difficult but aiming with one eyse can be helpfull.

This 80% scale thing is real.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voyager said:

The spitfire is *extremely* small. Couldn't find the Kermit Week's one on being in the 109 ("Its like formula 1 car, you can barely move your head"), but did find this one: 

 

The best direct comparison of a Spitfire and 109 cockpit I've seen is here:

 

The 109 is extremely small, but the Spitfire really isn't, unless compared to the American birds which are cavernous.  As a 6ft powerlifter with shoulder width in the 95th percentile, I'm much larger than the "kids" that flew them, and I still have had no trouble fitting in and moving around in a Spitfire cockpit everytime I've had the chance.  I fear I'd share something in common with Goering when trying to sit in a 109 🤣

Edited by Dijital_Majik
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching a few of these videos maybe my scale is correct. The levers, balls, and knobs are smaller in real life than I assume they are. You can see in that Weeks video his hand if completely covering the Spit throttle. Way smaller than my Warthog one I use at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish we had DCS ''Force IPD'' option added to IL2 VR.

Use 60.5 when flying in DCS.

Adjusted size based on youtube gopro  cockpits vids.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please -> Wish we had DCS ''Force IPD'' option added to IL2 VR.

I have Reverb, and cockpit looks tiny. Will wait with Normandy purchase until they add option, since it is a must.

 

Edited by =37.Sqn=Mjugen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [Pb]Slegawsky_VR said:

Wish we had DCS ''Force IPD'' option added to IL2 VR.

Use 60.5 when flying in DCS.

Adjusted size based on youtube gopro  cockpits vids.

 

If only somebody had explained to you two methods in a single post to achieve exactly that.... if only...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont be smart. In game IPD make you cross-eyed. It sucks. It is not implemented the right way.

Why the fuck you bother to undermine VR problem ? If IPD in game is implemented correctly it is good for all. You fucking imbecile.

Now react to this motherfucker with another smiley.

Edited by =37.Sqn=Mjugen
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, =37.Sqn=Mjugen said:

Dont be smart. In game IPD make you cross-eyed. It sucks. It is not implemented the right way.

Why the fuck you bother to undermine VR problem ? If IPD in game is implemented correctly it is good for all. You fucking imbecile.

Now react to this motherfucker with another smiley.

 

Charming! 

But it's okay, social distancing is affecting people in many ways.  Peace be with you.  🥰 🥰

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bro, I don't understand your logic. If it is fine for you OK, but if they implemented IPD option correctly, like DCS and some driving sims I will not mention here, every user can dial in the value to fit just right. And seven of us who fly IL2, will wait with Normandy purchase until they add this. We will vote with our wallets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, =37.Sqn=Mjugen said:

Bro, I don't understand your logic. If it is fine for you OK, but if they implemented IPD option correctly, like DCS and some driving sims I will not mention here, every user can dial in the value to fit just right. And seven of us who fly IL2, will wait with Normandy purchase until they add this. We will vote with our wallets.

 

Have you tried the ipd adjustment inside the 3Dmigoto mod?  It can be dialled in very precisely (far moreso than DCS) to fit just right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...