I have a G-Force GTX 760 and I see on the posts that it is not the best or player able Video card for Battle of Stalingrad ? Can somebody tell me what the best or better card to get for BOS to buy? I have a lot of issues with the GTX 760. Have to play in Low mode and everything in low settings! at 50 fps max! I am tired of crashing and freezing sorties. I know someone can help me out.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:53 AM, greasegunDivebomb said:

I have a G-Force GTX 760 and I see on the posts that it is not the best or player able Video card for Battle of Stalingrad ? Can somebody tell me what the best or better card to get for BOS to buy? I have a lot of issues with the GTX 760. Have to play in Low mode and everything in low settings! at 50 fps max! I am tired of crashing and freezing sorties. I know someone can help me out.

Hope you are still here looking, I'm sorry I just saw this now. Best place to post something like this is in the Hardware, Software and Controllers part of the forum - you don't have a bug or anthing per se, your video card is a little weak for the game these days. Battle of Bodenplatte and Battle of Kuban both pushed the envelope on the map and environment load on memory and video cards.

I have a thread I posted there talking about upgrading my machine, looking to get back to a mid range rig that will run the game on High at 60 FPS on 1080p. Lots of very helpful people giving advice. Here's the post:

That being said, I can maybe help you a bit here with more info.

What are your other computer specs? Processor, memory, motherboard, power supply, hard drive, etc. There's a lot of interplay, so getting a good video card may not make as big a difference as it could if the game is bottlenecked by the processor or memory. Also, gotta make sure your computer has enough power and connections to hook a new card up. If your motherboard is older it might also make it harder to upgrade, with Intel processors in particular you often need to upgrade your motherboard to upgrade the processor, since the new ones won't fit in the old sockets .AMD processors are a little better in that regard. Motherboards may also have more limited memory speed and capacity, although the speed difference is supposedly often marginal in comparison to amount of memory.

A good middle of the road card these days is the GTX 1660 Super. It's actually comparable in price to the older Nvidia cards while giving more performance. From the look of things it would be a bout 2-3 times better than what you have right now and I think. That's the one I plan to get once I can put the money together.

If you look at that thread you can see that I have 8 GB of memory and a video card with 3GB of VRAM, and I have issues with stuttering on the new map on Balanced settings.. The newer maps are much more memory intensive for video cards, realistically 16GB of RAM and a card with at least 6GB of onboard VRAM should be what you're looking at to run at higher settings.

For comparing different CPUs and video Cards I have taken to using the site linked below. I'm not 100% sure on what all the numbers mean but they do give you a good idea of the relative difference between hardware. Here's an example comparing your card to mine and also the 1660 Super.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GTX-760-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-GeForce-GTX-1660-SUPER/2561vs3566vs4159

With CPUs bear in mind that Il-2 really values single thread performance since most of its processing is on one thread or core at any given time, so when you are doing a comparison for processors look at those ratings in addition to overall.

Bear in mind I'm fairly recently educated on all this from the help of people in the thread linked above as well as other hardware threads, so make sure you get a second opinion if you are confused on things. We are all learning!

• Like 1

In this case its VERY important what is his other hardware, like if his PSU only does have one 6pins connector he is very limited in buying a Vcard. Nvidia is btw releasing new generation of Vcards, that could be interesting to wait, because the old gen. will get cheaper. 

21 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

In this case its VERY important what is his other hardware, like if his PSU only does have one 6pins connector he is very limited in buying a Vcard. Nvidia is btw releasing new generation of Vcards, that could be interesting to wait, because the old gen. will get cheaper. 

Yes, agreed. Gtx 1660 recommends a 450 watt power supply, and needs an 8 pin connector, or a 6+2 connector.. if I were buying a new PSU I would go for at least 600w just to be on the safe side for the future. Mine is 500w right now and should be Ok but the higher powered new cards and processors might exceed that.