Han

Developer Diary 242 - Discussion

Just now, Han said:
Hello everybody,

Previously we talked mostly about the Normandy project, but today we have something to tell you about Tank Crew.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see how binoculars and other improvements play out. I'm still on the fence, waiting to pushed to the Buy side. 

Will a career option be possible soon or perhaps better scripted campaigns? How about the previously described control of other tanks during operations? How about a fix for disappearing thanks? I am delight to have purchased TC and it. Really is wonderful in VR , but to my eyes still a bit underdeveloped. In any case the new update will help.😉

Yay!  Fourth!  Now to read the update.....

Okay, read.  Tank you!

Edited by JG51_Beazil

As soon as the price drops a little, I'm definately going to buy TC. Just awesome work!

Fantastic update guys. Thanks for the excellent work.

10 minutes ago, HBB*Hunger said:

As soon as the price drops a little, I'm definately going to buy TC. Just awesome work!

Same. TC is becoming more and more intriguing. Love that things are fully modeled, or at least the important stuff, and I'm curious how battles play out and how mission builder can/has been used. Definitely gonna be checking this out soon. Might be worth the price to me.

Edited by spamRoast

"Is that a PaK43 in your pocket, or you are so happy to see me?"

• Haha 1

Kindof curious how the Type 7 destroyer will fair if ambushed by a quartet of these... should be close to an even match (the destroyer is a moving target and might have a higher rate of fire, but its 130mm guns are less well protected)...

Awesome progress report and I am very much looking forward to the new features.

Very happy about the announcement of new quick mission options that are really needed for the tanks.

Just one question because it isn't in the screenshot: Will we get a Dshk AA machine gun for the SU-152?

Would be a good modification option as it was introduced in summer 1943, but not all SU-152 received it immediately.

Edited by airacobrafan

I was waiting for these two beasts and with a new QMB it will be even better, thanks

4 minutes ago, airacobrafan said:

Just one question because it isn't in the screenshot: Will we get a Dshk HMG for the SU-152?

Would really add punch to it...

It appeared on a later model only, ISU-152, closer to 1945.

I just checked and actually it was introduced for the SU-152 in the summer of 1943, but not all vehicles received it immediately.

Would be a good modification in my opinion...

"The design was slightly modified during production to improve reliability and providing a DShK 12.7 mm (0.5 in) anti-aircraft gun mount was developed in the summer of 1943, others being converted in depots during or after repair."

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_SU-152.php

Edited by airacobrafan

Looks very nice.👍

I do have one small question about TC though - are there any planned tweaks to AI aiming? It seems a bit too accurate IMO; quite often it will have a hit rate of almost 100% on even moving targets at several hundreds of meters distance for low AI level. I know of several historical sources that point to difficulties in hitting even static targets at range, and this is also my own experience in TC (I generally need two or three shots before I hit an enemy that's further than let's say 500m away, the first shots generally either digging into the ground or shooting overhead - especially if the enemy is partially obscured behind a hill or moving. This is consistent with the historical sources I've read, but not consistent with the TC AI which seems to have no problem hitting me at all under those circumstances). Just wondering. As always, keep up the good work!

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, airacobrafan said:

I just checked and actually it was introduced for the SU-152 in the summer of 1943, but not all vehicles received it immediately.

Would be a good modification in my opinion...

Then share the doc where you found it please.

• Haha 1

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_SU-152.php

"The design was slightly modified during production to improve reliability and providing a DShK 12.7 mm (0.5 in) anti-aircraft gun mount was developed in the summer of 1943, others being converted in depots during or after repair."

Same on wikipedia.

But if you have primary sources that disagree with this, I will say no more ;)

Edited by airacobrafan

It can't be considered a document unfortunately. A photo with the turret that can be attributed to 1943 even loosely, or a photo of document saying something like '' - that would be a proof.

It is like this with Panther camo - some people claimed that our camo is incorrect but we're not aware of any documents of the era saying that it had camo like on the modern illustrations and it's impossible to tell the amount of colors from black and white photos like this one or this one. To clarify, here are some colors and the same colors converted to greyscale:

image_2020_01_20T12_32_52_139Z.thumb.png.440128ae591526893e26db7c359146be.png image_2020_01_20T12_33_04_977Z.thumb.png.33314801aca2e5e57739f322539d7903.png

And this is an only color photo loosely attributed to Kursk battle, even if the clothes aren't remotely summer ones. Colors are still impossible to tell.

If we are wrong, please provide docs. Nice illustrations in the books don't count unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Understood, then it is still interesting how this remains in online publications.

I agree with your policy, just wanted to have this clarified, thanks ;)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Glad I'm not wearing 3D glasses.

s_1.jpg.d496aa06b7a96c319c7ef0e48774be3d.jpg

"You be careful, or you'll shoot your eye out!"

5 minutes ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

I will exchange TC for FC vol. 2
Anybody interested?

Seeing the Sopwith Snipe modeled in that fidelity, just daydream 😉

6 minutes ago, [CPT]Pike*HarryM said:

Still have plans to make player controlled SPAA units as Collector vehicles?

I'm interested to hear about these actually. Last information we got on the AAA vehicles was quite some time ago back in mid 2018.

"Due to development and gameplay considerations we have decided to create a separate AAA vehicles add-on featuring the GAZ-MM + 72K and Sd. Kfz. 10 + Flak38. We will prepare them as a separate product to be released later and work to make them a more interesting addition to IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles then initially planned."

• Upvote 5

As someone who has no real interest in tanks and knows precious little about them, all I can say to those still sitting on the fence about whether to buy TC or not is GO FOR IT! I don't use it very often but when I do it's great fun, and something very different from the aerial war. Plus, the aerial war still goes on above at the same time. If it were a standalone game I probably wouldn't have bothered, but the integration makes all the difference. Thanks for the update... looking forward to more goodies soon. (But I'm looking forward to the Hurricane more 😲).

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't look as if they would fly very well... What can I say: I like planes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Freycinet said:

Doesn't look as if they would fly very well... What can I say: I like planes.

Well I can say that everything can fly under certain conditions, both physically and explosively 😄

• Like 1

Looks nice, but I'm really holding off until I've see what gameplay will look like for this iteration of great battles.

I hope there's a reveal on this soon, really hoping to see some basic command and control over groups of units and/or basic RTS elements.

Pretty exciting.

I look forward to tank only servers, the few times I played tanks online it has been a blast.

Similar to the high detail buildings, I would love to see more high detail damageable objects that can be used as cover/hiding but also penetrated by tank shells. That would add a whole new dimension to tank gameplay online.

The detail in tanks in incredible.

Just now, Jade_Monkey said:

I look forward to tank only servers, the few times I played tanks online it has been a blast.

Exactly - tank only servers is what is needed!

Thanks, it looks magnificent!

I cant wait for the new dmg model and the QMB.

Of course nearly everyone knows the Ferdinand was not an unqualified ( or even qualified )success, proving its creator Ferdinand Porsche was not always such a genius or a man for all seasons.I'll like to have it, drive it,see how it works but I doubt I'll spend much time on our digital battlefield with it.

( In a way its a little like the German jets,wonderfully innovative but so full of side issues that limited their use..)

images.jpg

5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Of course nearly everyone knows the Ferdinand was not an unqualified ( or even qualified )success, proving its creator Ferdinand Porsche was not always such a genius or a man for all seasons.I'll like to have it, drive it,see how it works but I doubt I'll spend much time on our digital battlefield with it.

( In a way its a little like the German jets,wonderfully innovative but so full of side issues that limited their use..)

images.jpg

Yeah, this thing is gangsta right up until the devs fully model a young disaffected serbian man with a pistol and hilarious luck.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

images.jpg

In-game it will be a great vehicle to use. Unlike irl we don't have to deal with infantry or breakdowns, so the two main things plaguing the Ferdinand aren't a problem. It's going to be hard to beat when used to it's strengths (front toward enemy, long range).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

In-game it will be a great vehicle to use. Unlike irl we don't have to deal with infantry or breakdowns, so the two main things plaguing the Ferdinand aren't a problem. It's going to be hard to beat when used to it's strengths (front toward enemy, long range).

The Ferdinand had the biggest issues in real life, when it was used as a tank and not as a tank destroyer.  This thing was not designed to charge ahead, like it was used at Kursk.

It was built to stop enemy armor attacks.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jaws2002 said:

The Ferdinand had the biggest issues in real life, when it was used as a tank and not as a tank destroyer.  This thing was not designed to charge ahead, like it was used at Kursk.

It was built to stop enemy armor attacks.  

Exactly, it is vulnerable from the flanks and from infantry. Since we don't have infantry in-game all we have to do is keep our distance and our front towards the enemy. It's meant to keep it's distance and destroy armor from long range, if used in this way it will be nearly unbeatable in-game imo.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

I will exchange TC for FC vol. 2
Anybody interested?

No. I want both. 😉

• Upvote 4

As always, Friday is the highlight of the week even though I have been retired for 12 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4