Sign in to follow this  
skpcarey1

Muliple GPU support in VR?

Im considering buying another card and trying NVLink/SLI, but Ive read some posts on the net that say it wont help fps in VR  which doesnt make sense .

My question is mainly aimed at the devs since I need a solid answer(not just someones opinion or speculation)before spending the money.It would be nice if I could get the devs to chime in.

https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/vrsli

The VR in IL2 is limited by a heavy reliance on a single thread in VR.  My VR FPS wasn't great until I got my CPU to run at 5.0ghz reliably.  Get a watercooler for your CPU and overclock it as high as you can.  Turn off hyperthreading as well.  Get some good B die ram, I have G.Skill running at 3300 cl14.  SLI isn't supported and doesn't work for VR and nearly all other games.  I have a 1080ti and it runs at about 70 percent or something.  The card isn't an issue unless you have a pretty weak one.

Posted (edited)

Im already overclocked and my specs arent low I7 9700k @5ghz(9700k doesnt have hyperthreading BTW) ,RTX 2080 ,64gb @3200mhz NVME SSds the Air portion of IL2  runs fine on my rig in VR, no problems what so ever, its in a campaign in Tank Crew where it turns into a slide show, also Ive used VRfps from steam(good program I have an index)  to monitor Tank Crew in campaign mode and its the GPU(it maxxing out the GPU) for some reason ,either way Ive ordered the NVlink and another 2080 and  Ill let you know how it does.I was hoping a Dev would chime in and either reassure me or tell me not to go that route before I spend the $$$$$$$.

Edited by skpcarey1

Yah my system still struggles a bit when I taxi.  I'm pretty sure the extra card won't do it.  It might not even use it at all honestly.  I think the optimization just isn't very good, this is an old game.

I wouldnt be doin it but after seeing VRFPS in Campaign mode Im sure itll help I used to run triple sli back 8 years ago it does work depending on the sim some scale better then others and Il2 does have multi GPU support In the Air .

Most experience about Nvidia  SLI in VR are negative do a search and find out, curious if you can get SLI working in VR. 

Posted (edited)

NVLink is different much more bandwidth ,

click on the link above its straight from Nvidia ,Also the Limitation is it only works for RTX 2080s and 2080tis and above

Edited by skpcarey1

So far the  results are disappointing id say realistically it may have gained a slight boost but whats odd is it works fine outside of the campaigns(still testing)single quick missions are good to go the campaigns are murder on FPS

I mostly did NVlink in anticipation of  Vulkan in DCS and other DX12 titles as muti gpu support is native in DX12

Do you have AVX turned off to make sure your processor is hitting the 5.0ghz in game?

I Have forgotten how thats done, (turning off AVX I mean),but my I7 9700k runs @4.9mhz at all times, also Ive noticed in VR TC is quite blurry at distance making target spotting and identification next to impossible but in the air this is not an issue.............Strange

Posted (edited)

DUH LOL,Sorry I couldnt help that ,this aint my first rodeo

I know youre tryin to help, Sli works fine on a monitor and in the Air IL2 beats DCS hands down in VR, But TC just sucks in VR, its ok out to about fifty meters after that its a blurry mess even on my Index (which aint no slouch) and the Super man AIs vision and its no fun at all.like I said Ive given up on TC and VR till they fix it which may be a long way off unfortunately.

Edited by skpcarey1