Sign in to follow this  
skpcarey1

Muliple GPU support

Thinking about going NVlink route how does it scale in IL2?Thanks in advance....

• Upvote 1

Multiple gpus is a pretty dead trend this days. The last multiple gpu setup i had was a gtx590 dual gpu card and the sli setup was a hassle, even back then, when a lot more people used them.

• Upvote 1

Like Jaws said, multiple GPU support is dead and is generally left to the game developers to support in game.

The advice now is, just get the most powerful single GPU you can afford.

For the few titles that support it and scale well, SLI is awesome.  IL2 (and DCS) aren't one of those titles.  

I went from SLI 1080s to one 2080 Ti.  Most games saw a tremendous improvement.  One of the few that didn't was Star Wars Jedi: FO.  That game has an SLI implementation that works and scales extremely well.  It really shows what's possible if there's developmental will.

At some point GPUs may be forced to go wider instead of faster, like CPUs have.  GPUs are already architecturally very wide internally, but there's a limit to how big you can make a die and the 2080 Ti pushes that limit for all it's worth.  I think we'll see multi-die 'SLI on a card' GPUs before long.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NervousEnergy said:

For the few titles that support it and scale well, SLI is awesome.  IL2 (and DCS) aren't one of those titles.  

I went from SLI 1080s to one 2080 Ti.  Most games saw a tremendous improvement.  One of the few that didn't was Star Wars Jedi: FO.  That game has an SLI implementation that works and scales extremely well.  It really shows what's possible if there's developmental will.

At some point GPUs may be forced to go wider instead of faster, like CPUs have.  GPUs are already architecturally very wide internally, but there's a limit to how big you can make a die and the 2080 Ti pushes that limit for all it's worth.  I think we'll see multi-die 'SLI on a card' GPUs before long.

The GTX 590 that i had was working in SLI, but had two gtx580 gpus on a single pcb with shared memory.

It wasn't multiple gpus on the same die, just two gpus on the same pcb. The problem was that you had to use sli, and every game used sli differently. You had to change settings from game to game to get the best of it. 

A royal pain in the @$$.

But in general the GPUs already have a bunch of cores on a single die and the work load is significantly better optimized for multithreading. Wayyyy better optimized than software designed yo run on the CPU.

The core count on GPUs increases steadily from generation to generation, way faster than the CPU core count increase.

Look at all this coress on the 2080ti:

untitled-2.thumb.jpg.174a61ffef67f29af463a4b5644b7ed3.jpg

My opinion get the fastest single gpu you can afford and save yourself from a bunch of headaches.

• Upvote 1

IL2 does support SLI, I see 80% utilisation on both cards.

What improvement did you see going from SLI to the 2080ti? I'm getting a solid 100FPS will all settings maxed at 1440p with two 1080ti via HB Bridge on IL2.

DCS doesnt use the second card in SLI at all, and if you 'force' it, you dont get any more FPS.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ImaginativeTruth said:

IL2 does support SLI, I see 80% utilisation on both cards.

What improvement did you see going from SLI to the 2080ti? I'm getting a solid 100FPS will all settings maxed at 1440p with two 1080ti via HB Bridge on IL2.

DCS doesnt use the second card in SLI at all, and if you 'force' it, you dont get any more FPS.

That's exactly why I think it's a waste, and not worth the hassle. Every game is different and you have to change settings from game to game and patch to patch..

Edited by Jaws2002