BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XIV

Hello everyone! Today is Friday again and that means another week is behind us. Management of this Diary helps organize me and it seems that the time flies very fast. If it's time to write this post for you this means that the release has become the 7 day closer. In the initial period we make such decisions that will be critical in the final stages. If we make an error in the assessment of our strength now, so then we'll need to postpone date of the release. We already have a lot of experience in the development of flight simulations and it helps to soberly assess all progress, but a big part of each development member is a player, which is always pushing to add something else, some kind of feature or idea. There is a constant internal struggle and the key to successful implementation of all planned items in time is a victory in this personal struggle. I'll not deny that the fights so far offer mixed results. But on the basis of the third month, we're still going according to plan and just let see that will be around the corner.

Last week we went to an airfield and held organized dogfights. First, of course, it was cool and secondly we got some great experience. Later we'll make a movie about it. In the meantime, let it be a short teaser. Only IL-2, only hardcore! :)

We're often asked if we're not afraid to make hardcore games, when all signs point to the fact that the world wants lighter fare. We're afraid, of course, but we're men and don't show fear. We try to break through.

I promised images of IL-2 last time so here it is. Light is in the process of setting and is a test.

il2am38_1a.jpg il2am38_1b.jpg il2am38_1c.jpg il2am38_2.jpg il2am38_3.jpg il2am38_4.jpg il2am38_5.jpg

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

Did I ever tell that I very like the way you model spinning propellors? I already did with ROF and now I do even more. Very very nice!

"I promised images of IL-2 last time so here it is. Light is in the process of setting and is a test."

I say that's (IL2 screenshots) just marvelous!

:salute:

Thanks. And 1 more picture, in Rus part guys ask me about details.

+.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good screenshots, very natural-looking, cloud looks good too (in engine or pic backdrop?)

Edited by falstaff

Thank you for your constant updates!

IL2 is looking very good and very interesting details on the last picture. Looking forward to the video! :biggrin:

Very nice update!

Looking forward to the video as well.

Also, I can't wait to see those great aircraft models of yours in motion.

Great update.

I'm 46 year old but this time i hope my childhood dreams come true.

Don't betray me. :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Re: Screenshots.. Nice man!

I must say "LOL" that video makes you guys look bad arse. Driving to the airfield in your sun gigs. :cool:

I would like to see the whole video please.

Simply awsome, you guys rock! (Experiment are great but please stay alive until the game is released ;) )

So nice to see a new il2 3D model that gives justice to how beautiful the real il2 was at the time, we definitely needed that :good:

Oh and i almost forgot to say thanks for another great update. :)

Very nice update, and those screenshots look great, thanks!

Great! Thank you, can't wait for the video (actually, what was the main reason you did this? What do you hope to accomplish with it?)

Il2 looks bad ass!

Great update as usual... The consistency is really encouraging.. It seems as if sometimes you really don't have much new to tell but you want to keep us engaged and informed .. and that is much appreciated.

Thanks for the update.

The IL2 in flight looks very good indeed.

So do the clouds.

Fun little video as well.

Great! Thank you, can't wait for the video (actually, what was the main reason you did this? What do you hope to accomplish with it?)

Il2 looks bad ass!

We had a lot of tasks, such as the measurement of overload, tiredness, turbulent wake, visibility contacts, sounds and etc.

New photos:

66.jpg

Yak-52 pilots: Roman Ovchinnikov and Anton Berkutov

IMG_7852.jpg

Our team on the way to the airfield

We had a lot of tasks, such as the measurement of overload, tiredness, turbulent wake, visibility contacts, sounds and etc.

Interesting!

But please be aware that target spotting needs a lot of practice by the pilots. They know how to scan the sky, so don't take your experience as a total proof, until you learn the correct way..

For info read this document: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA241347

searchrange2.jpg

Edited by 6S.Manu

Interesting!

But please be aware that target spotting needs a lot of practice by the pilots. They know how to scan the sky, so don't take your experience as a total proof, until you learn the correct way..

Tnanks,  we understand and take into account all of these factors.

• Upvote 1

New photos:

Haha Viktor, wasn't the cockpit bit tiny? ;)

Tnanks,  we understand and take into account all of these factors.

What can I say? It's wonderful, you guys are really doing an amazing job!

Edited by 6S.Manu

Thanks for the update, I particularly like the close up on the Il-2.

thanks for the update, and the video. 

I kept thinking this: 

This is how we do it. 
It's Friday night, and I feel all right 
The party is here on the East side
Realisitic Merlin sounds so I turn it up

Designated driver take the bombs to that truck
Past the  shore, warning lights faded
Comrades in the street say, Hero, yo we made it
It feels so good with a malcom hood tonight

The summertime skirts and the guys in Sinai
All the fighter boys forgot about the fly by

8) How do you plan to implement different types and sets of arms? Will we see in game all available variants for this type of aircraft (including the rarelyapplicable)? Or you plan to make only just historically present sets of arms at this theater or just a specific minimum sets and all the rest will be in the add-ons after release.

Planes will have different versions of arms in the release, widely applicable in the past or not, but they always will be historical and realistic. The player will independently decide to use them or not. Everyone creates gameplay for themselves, we only provide opportunities, and we believe that the more, the better.

I like the approach you are taking here. It gives the game to have a life of its own, outside the bounds that the history books may have not explored, but keeping in the spirit of historical context. 

Cool screenshots,can i ask when the game is released will we have working landing lights and nav lights?I am so delighted you guys are using the ROF engine.Best of luck

Edited by shea

Cool screenshots,can i ask when the game is released will we have working landing lights and nav lights?

Yes.

As always -love the screenies..I do like the single seat version of the Il-2 even if it was a failure more or less.It still looks great!

Thanks. And 1 more picture, in Rus part guys ask me about details.

Take a look on that big radiator if you are a rookie Jagdflier.

Its where you have to shoot to kill a IL2 !!

4) The devs are doing a great job in getting first-hand accounts from pilots flying certain soviet aircrafts that will be part of BoS. Will first hand accounts from pilots flying axis aircraft be taken into account too?

That would be great, but so far we don't have such contacts. Maybe in the future, if the project proves popular, someone will take an interest in them and contact us to transfer video footage.

Great to hear that you are open to this. Wouldn't it be interesting that people here take contact with ppl? There is an original FW190A flying in the US (with original BMW engine) and some restored Bf109s. I think video interview would not be absolutely essential but a catalogue of questions could be enough to get an idea about flying qualities of each plane. Of course accounts from pilots having a wide spread experience with different types is an advantage.

I find it odd, that in the heyday of the original IL2, modern pilot accounts of flying restored war birds were derided as second rate info because modern war bird restorations rarely carried arms, had lighter radios, no armor, and often engines rebuilt to different specification.  

Now everyone is clamouring for modern pilot accounts.

Odd, very odd. 

I find it odd, that in the heyday of the original IL2, modern pilot accounts of flying restored war birds were derided as second rate info because modern war bird restorations rarely carried arms, had lighter radios, no armor, and often engines rebuilt to different specification.  

Odd, very odd. 

Personally I prefer data to 'accounts'. I get the impression that the developers feel the same way.

Odd, very odd. 

I remember this too for the original and was laughing at myself because I imagined the devs going to an airshow with a "restored" mustang  and getting all the stats. 

Then a late war theater is released and the main complaint posts is "The overpowered P-51 NOT .50 cal thread". Ntracks clock the P-51 at at 852 km/h .. .

Finally the root is discovered. The P-51's were recorded at this place called Reno . . .

I am very impressed by all the hard work and dedication put into the sim. I have a question though : since it is hard to balance between all the data, real flight experience, real WWII pilot's testimonies, and all that is known about WWII planes, at what point will the developers and "hardcore" comunity will feel that the FM (s) are about as close as can be to the real thing ? Is it possible to ever  obtain a concensus about FM ? It seems to me that there is always someone bringing in some other data from another source with other specifications. Just curious to see how this very specific issue will be resolved...If ever ? ;-)

at what point will the developers and "hardcore" comunity will feel that the FM (s) are about as close as can be to the real thing ? Is it possible to ever  obtain a concensus about FM ?

That's easy.  It will be when the dev team runs out of time and money.

Odd, very odd. 

Agreed! The thing is: If they take into account the reports from modern day pilots of one side it would be fair to have the reports of both sides pressuming that the conditions under which both side's reports are obtained are similar (no weapons or ammo). I also think that the devs are smart enough not to model hard data from those restored planes but take into account a bit of the relative subjective feel. I know that this is not perfect and it would be preferable to have relyable data on all aspects of fm. But we all know that this is a dream that will never come true. Either because some aspects cannot be decently expresed in numbers (because difficult or impossible to measure due to lack of appropriate measurement devices etc) or because a lot of data is lost or not available or because there is conflicting data or data that was obtained under very specific conditions not applicable to the general case.

I believe that there is an area where pilot accounts.. especially if you can get pilot accounts from both sides like sturmkraehe said, and historic data will converge to give a pretty good account of what was possible.. You can talk to axis and allied pilots or read their accounts of aircraft and look at historic data and come to a conclusion. No pilot.. Japanese or American will ever say that a Zero can catch a P-47 in a dive..  or that a F-6 can out turn a Zero .. it is all relative.

I believe that there is an area where pilot accounts.. especially if you can get pilot accounts from both sides like sturmkraehe said, and historic data will converge to give a pretty good account of what was possible.. You can talk to axis and allied pilots or read their accounts of aircraft and look at historic data and come to a conclusion. No pilot.. Japanese or American will ever say that a Zero can catch a P-47 in a dive..  or that a F-6 can out turn a Zero .. it is all relative.

That's more eloquently said what I had in mind. I think these pilot accounts can complement the picture drawn by available data and fill in for the dark spaces where no data is available. It is still better than just doing guess work me thinks. 

That last image of the Il-2 is tremendous. The gentle rippling of the metal areas is very well done. Looking forward to the next film too. Loved that shot of the three beefcakes on their way to the airfield. :)