Sign in to follow this  
Remontti

Suggestions to improve commands and controls for Tank Crew.

The current command system in Tank crew is rather clumsy and slow. I know Tank Crew is in early access and many thing could be just place holders but maybe this is good time gather some ideas here how to improve it. 

Currently the best way to control the tank for me is to do it all by yourself. I'm constantly switching between commander and gunner positions. It's not really feeling like commanding a tank, just controlling it. Using the tanks is still quite fun and so there is a chance to make it more appealing. 

Movement:

Currently setting auto-pilot for the driver makes moving really clumsy. I'm not using it. It is easier to use throttle and pedals for movement. I really dislike the idea of holding a key for keeping speed up especially since we are travelling rather long distances in-game. 

I would rather see a basic WASD (bindable to what ever of course) type of controls. Since we have already slow / medium / full speed options in current command system. We could have a setting where on press of W would set slow speed, second press medium speed and third press full speed.
S would reduce speed and if possible long press of S would bring tank to halt. And from stationary pressing S would set reverse.
A and D for steering like we have now.

Then a Move command for commander. Press a key and a then point & click a location and tank then drives to that location with medium speed. You could alter the speed with W and S once moving. If possible maybe giving the Move command and pointing to the sky would just turn the tank to that direction.

So not opening command menu, click terrain, choose move, choose speed but press key and point & click terrain.

Commander station:

Sometimes the gunner fires at targets by his own and sometimes he won't do it even if you allow it. Pointing him a target works but once again it is painfully slow to assign a target.

How about a Attack command? Just like the Move command explained above. Press Attack-key and point & click  at terrain. If there is tank, truck, gun or such the gunner would fire at it (like the attack we have now) and if there is just terrain gunner would suppress it. And if possible using the attack key to sky would turn the turret to that direction. 
And preferably the gunner would fire what ever round you have in the cannon.  We also need ability to the commander to choose what type of round is loaded. Now you could change the type of round after the first shot if you're in hurry and bad situation. Or if you have time change the round type before giving attack order. But I think it is pointless choose ammo type every time we assign a target to gunner. This needs to be a command you can issue quickly.

To streamline the command system I would also separate Formation and Spacing. Assigning formation column, line and so on would not ask for the spacing. It would just use what the platoons spacing is currently. If you want to change spacing to wider or tighten it you would use Spacing command.

Hold fire / Fire at will command. Maybe this could always be a command that affects the whole platoon. Mostly useful if you want to stay hidden or the target is far away. Usually affecting the whole platoon.

The other crew members could call out targets if they see them. If this is to happen maybe we can have some more interaction with the gunner. If the gunner aims at a target he has spotted on by himself, he would announce it to commander who would the just give the fire order (just one key press please). This is needed so the gunner doesn't fire at a truck if there is a more threatening tank close by. You should be also able to give a command to gunner to engage targets at will without commanders confirmation.

That's what I'm expecting to do as tank commander. Choose where to go and tell my crew who to engage.
Of course less important commands could still be available in the command menu but the essential ones would easily available with just one to two key presses.

Also ability to assign a waypoint in map mode would be nice.

Gunner:

Here I just miss interaction from the commander. He could tell my at what direction he sees a target. Maybe he could also tell if the round fired hit the target, was short or went over.

• Upvote 1