Han

Developer Diary 241 - Discussion

Just now, Han said:
Dear friends,

The work on the Normandy module is at an early stage, but of course, this doesn't mean you'll have to wait for new updates for too long.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

Me, the Yak and a new pilot :biggrin:  Happy days!

Posted too fast  :P lol

I was going to ask in the last Dev update if the pilots would be in early or later pattern battledress. Absolutely thrilled to see tunics with and without shoulder boards. Outstanding :salute:

Edited by Johnny-Red

Thank finally we get rid of the unrealistic black ink spots in the wings when being hit. 

4.005 which will include a number of improvements for the damage modeling, especially aircraft damage (but it is more general than that, the way weapons affect various objects is also changing)

So it will be interesting to see if this means that we get stronger P-47's or weaker guns. Kinda sounds like maybe a mix of the two?

At any rate, excited to see that the new Summer fashions are coming out!

• Like 1

Great to see the progress! Thanks for you hard work and i'm really curious to see more of the AI improvements in the command area! The new pilot model looks superb btw!

7 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Thank finally we get rid of the unrealistic black ink spots in the wings when being hit. 

No this does not include a texture change. The system looks the same so stop your whining. But the changes gives a better variety of damage textures when hit. There were some errors in our older damage code that didn't fully express itself properly. The only way to do what you want is to create 3D damage models and that will greatly increase the time to make planes.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 6

Great going! I love the way the AI is getting love and more things for them in the future. Exciting times ahead, as always

6 minutes ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

4.005 which will include a number of improvements for the damage modeling, especially aircraft damage (but it is more general than that, the way weapons affect various objects is also changing)

So it will be interesting to see if this means that we get stronger P-47's or weaker guns. Kinda sounds like maybe a mix of the two?

At any rate, excited to see that the new Summer fashions are coming out!

No it means you get more realistic and reasonable damage. We didn't just add or subtract things, we re-built them almost from scratch and took more factors into consideration and eliminated old bugs and errors in algorithms etc. The end result is not known yet because we are doing another round of testing this weekend. 

Jason

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 11

Awesome to see new vehicles and pilots for the older battles! 

Fantastic looking pilot models! It's always great to see the commitment updating old content to the same standards as newer releases.

Further revised damage modelling can only ever be a good thing, I look forward to reading about it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update Jason and team... Looking forward to the new damage model.

I used to play another sim but fell in love with IL2 when I tried it 😁

Thanks for all of your continuing hard work! 

I always wonder why these in game vehicles, ships, tanks, and other man-made items are modeled so great ...

you'll only see the details when you see them close up, not when passing them in a Yak at 400 km/h ..... 

Some new train stuff could be nice too.

PS these outfits make me think of that terrible virus thing going on in China, and now in South Korea too it seems:

gas works.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

"We're also working on further AI improvements, namely on how they dogfight. Update 4.005 will include these improvements. In the future, we'll begin working on its tactical level and on how they follow the commands."

Great to see the continuing work on AI.

I had hopes that once the individual level AI had improved sufficiently, we would get improvements to flight tactics and communications, so this is great news. Thanks. 👍

• Like 2

Looking forward to the changes, I hear alot of compliants lately of the "over the top" damage model, and it being exaggerated for gameplay purposes and player statisfaction. Always a WIP.

I feel like a jerk for asking, but any snippits about Air Marshall mode?

Short but sweet dev diary - thanks guys!

I'm really thrilled about the AI developments again. Better dogfighting sounds great - but in that area you've already vastly improved. Tactical decision making and military discipline sound awesome as future fields of action. I love it!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks guys, the damage model really needed an overhaul.

IMO after this, there are other things that need to be looked at(as always in any product), but it‘s always heartening to see you improve the game.

I think everyone in the flightsim community needs patience to play the long game, it‘s a niche market and changes correspondingly take a lot of time.

IMO priorities should lie on:

- Increase the number of AIs MP servers can handle so we can have realistically populated frontlines.

- Gunners in MP. I don‘t know where the disparity between their performance and accuracy in SP and MP comes from, but it makes attacking bombers in MP no fun at all.

-Lighting. While the game has beautiful textures and models, IMO the lighting just doesn’t look up to date anymore.

I know these are very labour- and time-intensive issues to work on, but there’s always the danger for you to fall behind the competition.

Maybe smaller, “one nation at a certain point in time“ modules at smaller prices would be a more profitable business strategy now that there‘s as big an ecosystem as you‘ve ultimately delivered. As much as it pains me as someone who loves all planes from all nations, not everyone shares that sentiment. I bet there‘s a lot of untapped potential in those who want to get into flightsims, but aren’t ready to start with as major an investment as 70$.

I.e. you could sell BoBP both as full module, or as Allies or Axis only modules. I believe people who are ready to spend 70$ on a complete module now would do so anyway, even if there‘s a half module available. 

Still you are the ones actually making this game and that‘s why I‘ll patiently wait and trust you guys to keep it not only running but also competitive.

Excited to hear about the new damage modeling...

But will there be any ammunition variations choices like in Cliffs of Dover...where we could choose the type of ammo? at least at some point in the roadmap plans.

Also, I do hope to see some Career changes in mission variations.

Excellent update and excited to see the changes on 4.005.

I am curious though, will we see AI improvements in ground vehicle movement and tactics soon? Tank Crew AI is need of a bit of love too.

22 minutes ago, Daff said:

Looking forward to the changes, I hear alot of compliants lately of the "over the top" damage model, and it being exaggerated for gameplay purposes and player statisfaction. Always a WIP.

I feel like a jerk for asking, but any snippits about Air Marshall mode?

In debugging before we test it again. Please read my comments about it in my Ready Room and Officer's Club.

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I haven't flown Single Player for "forever" but due to the on-going work on the AI, I bought the balance of the Campaigns. Thanks Team for your continued efforts.

cart.JPG.4dd5e23e6bd61491ba38703b87d3a9ac.JPG

Edited by FlyingNutcase
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Always excited about the AI rework, and the underlying systems rework...

Lovely to see new vehicles. I can only hope that we'll someday see some Western European river boats/barges and some lower poly static trains (so true railyards can be produced). I also hope that we'll eventually see more complex ground targets and/or it will be made easier to add our own templates for ground targets to the campaign. But even if none of these these things happen - the addition of even a few vehicles enriches the game.

Great update for me since it includes one of my favorite topics... AI!!!  Can’t wait to see the changes. 

Also, updated damage model sounds promising. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks.

I would like to see more ground objects affected by strafing (fuel tanks, wooden structures, buildings, cranes, towers, etc, in short as many objects as possible).

and, IMHO it is a pity that such beautiful pilot models are not used in an officially implemented "pilot in the cockpit". We should have them, optional or not. I think they are underused. You can see the models only hanging from the parachutes, or partially on external views.

I am really happy to see the next update! :)

Good job, Dev, you rock!

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

and, IMHO it is a pity that such beautiful pilot models are not used in a officially implemented "pilot in the cockpit". We should have them, or optional or not. I think they are underused. You can see the models only hanging from the parachutes, or partially on external views.

100% agree on this point. I wish for an elite dangerous type implementation for pilot models. The headless pilot!  It adds so much to immersion in VR. 

Yes, we all know there's a mod but it is a bandaid at best.

I'll chime in on the headless pilot request. Not an emergency by any means, but definitely something I would be happy to see come to the game in the future.

2 hours ago, Johnny-Red said:

I was going to ask in the last Dev update if the pilots would be in early or later pattern battledress. Absolutely thrilled to see tunics with and without shoulder boards. Outstanding :salute:

That is really neat to see that, after looking at the images more closely. :good: Looks like the guy on the right is going to look a lot like this I-16 pilot:

bf88d51a604166d91df0f5b928cf8673.jpg

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 2

Uhm, for the next update would it be possible to check the AI behavior of

Thorny 13pdr aa

Daimlerflak 77 aa

hotchkissmle14 aa

mg08 aa

At present these weapons do not fire at approaching enemy aircraft. They fire at aircraft  about 3 seconds after an aircraft passes over them or near them. To get them to fire at approaching enemy aircraft you have to connect then to an "Attack Area" MCU.   Using the attack MCU is a fix for what looks like something missing in the objects AI. Using the MCU fix looks like it puts added strain on the missions SPS rate.

Edited by JG1_Butzzell

It's always a pleasure to see the sim being constantly worked on and improved. The soviet pilot looks fantastic but I'll just leave this here hopeful that the developers will be able to give us those pesky night witches at some point in the near future. 

IMG_20200221_165704.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Great to see some new vehicles are to be added, especially as they are the type that will be around the airfields as players come and go from it.:drinks:

The new pilot looks great, not something we see much of but nice to know most of the existing content at some stage is getting updated, along

with damage and AI changes these bode well going forward with the series.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

6 minutes ago, III/JG52_Lothar29 said:

Great work Team! in your Line!.. thanks 

new damage model :)

ec78556f119613e06c046c01ce047188.jpg.5dfe9a9cf90938f8a16e6e871c1c7381.jpg

that's an awesome looking diorama model.  Mig3 ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

that's an awesome looking diorama model.  Mig3 ?

P40 Warhawk, is the first Brother in the P40 family. :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, III/JG52_Lothar29 said:

P40 Warhawk, is the first Brother in the P40 family. :)

Actually it was called a Tomahawk in British service.  It's a Hawk 81, as opposed to the Hawk 87 that we currently have in the Great Battles series, that was called a Warhawk.

• Thanks 1