Sign in to follow this  
Knarley-Bob

Flugpark...oops...

Tried out the Flugpark this evening. Not much action which was what I was hoping for. Spotted a balloon, first one I've seen. But the "Park" seems to be set up for VR users, which is fine. My internet won't handle one of those, so I'm pretty much flying blind. Got a glimpse of another plane, couldn't tell what it was. Was using the doohickey that kind of lets one look around, I think it's called a hat?

Any way, next thing I know, I get shot. I'm wounded, my goggles are spattered with blood. Great now I REALLY can't see. So I'm flying in circles, fiddling with my hat, it keeps showing me the compass, I didn't even know was there. Tried scanning around with my mouse, that is even worse than that hat thing. Decided to hit the deck, as I checked my six again. Of course I had company, I circled to my left, opened fire when I saw movement, and ran right into the other plane, tearing both our wings off. I tried to bail, but to no avail as my Fokker DVIIF slammed into the ground.

To whom I ran into, I apologize. as they say, "Even a blind dog finds a bone now and again"... More like a blind dog caught a parked car.🙄

Looks like you "ran into" a Artificial Intelligence (AI) Bristol F2BIII, Bob.  You can see your sortie record here on the Flugpark server scoreboard (parser):

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/sortie/24783/?tour=9

Poke around on the parser.  It is useful in "seeing" what happened in a sortie or mission and a lot of other wonderful things (including awards on your pilot page that appear once you earn them).  http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/pilot/923/Knarley-Bob/?tour=9

Welcome to the FC community server project (Flugpark)!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, thank you this is cool. But I'm not going to be able to come out and play being blind. None of the keys I use to see work, and hitting that thing was plain bad luck. I had a VR goggle , but the internet connection here won't support it. If the Flugpark would let people use some of the keyboard(to see), it would be different, I'd sure like to. But like they say, "It is, what it is."           No hard feelings....😉

KB

Didn't know the internet would hamper your flying with VR. I thought it was just your computer that tells you if you can or not use VR, mine said I can't, 

1 hour ago, Knarley-Bob said:

Well, thank you this is cool. But I'm not going to be able to come out and play being blind. None of the keys I use to see work, and hitting that thing was plain bad luck. I had a VR goggle , but the internet connection here won't support it. If the Flugpark would let people use some of the keyboard(to see), it would be different, I'd sure like to. But like they say, "It is, what it is."           No hard feelings....😉

KB

I do not believe that the server does not allow you to use keyboard to look around. Maybe you should verify the key-maping? You can look around with the mouse, with a hat-switch on your joystick, you can map keys for instant 'check 6' etc. Experiment on this while landed.

By the way the Flugpark is a dangerous place for the inexperienced/average pilot. Lots of old dogs in it!

Sounds like you're looking for some practice KB.

Try 'April 1918 Flying Circus...' server.

S!

VR (and the way your computer handles it) and your internet speed are two competely different things. There is no connection between them. Either your PC is powerful enough to feed the images into your VR goggles (twice, because you have two independent displays for left and right eye) fast enough or it's not. Internet speed has nothing to do with it.

Looking around with that "doohickey" on top of your joystick (the hat-switch) is a P.I.T.A. I spent a few years flying like that, when I started with flight sims. I don't want to recall that unfortunate period. From what you write I understand that you may have multiple actions mapped onto the hat-switch. It also depends on how your game is set up. You can either use "pan mode" or "snap mode". The difference is: in pan mode, when you press the hat-switch (let's say to 270° position), it will keep rotating your view to the left until you release the hat-switch. The view then stays there, until you hit the hat-switch again to rotate the view to a different angle. In snap mode, when you hit the 270°, it will quickly snap your view 90° to the left and returns to the center upon releasing the hat-switch. Check the key mappings and see if you have multiple actions mapped to the hat-switch positions and experiment with pan/snap modes.

There are other means of looking around, than a hat-switch. Mouse, TrackIR (quite expensive, https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/), do-it-yourself TrackIR alternative (very cheap, but you need to tinker with everything yourself), or ready-made TrackIR alternative like this: https://delanengineering.com/. (Somewhere in-between TrackIR and DIY money-wise, no need to tinker with anything, just plug&play).

For start, use either mouse in the left hand (with pan-view mode), or hat-switch with snap-view mode. Once you start getting tired of it, go for TrackIR or Opentrack + DIY. If you have loads of cash, upgrade your PC, get a VR set, forget about the outside world, your friends and family. 😁

Edited by J2_Jakob
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Didn't know the internet would hamper your flying with VR. I thought it was just your computer that tells you if you can or not use VR, mine said I can't, 

Should try buying one with USD not Canadian scheckles.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

That's the sad part. I didn't either. I just upgraded computers. Told the people what I wanted to do with it, bought  an Oculus rift goggle set and was ready to go. BUT, our internet connection evidently doesn

't have the speed required. That determination comes from the people I bought my equipment from. Luckily they allowed me to return the Oculus, which I exchanged for our TV set that puked about the same time. On Flugpark none of the "F" keys work, there is no map, so if one doesn't have VR, well, you are cannon fodder.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the site by any means, sounds like the guys there have "Big Fun" and I wish them the best. If some day my internet comes out of the stone age, I can join in and get shot down by one of them "Old Dogs"👍

Edited by Knarley-Bob

I would echo the others about experimenting with the views system. You can tailor the snap views a fair amount in game. And do not get discouraged just from that as I'm not an VR user and am doing alright http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/pilot/16/Oliver88/?tour=9. The servers not setup for VR users either as far as am aware, whatever difference that would be. And ought to be able to map your snap views to your keyboard. Just got to experiment with the control mappings while on the ground in the quick battles mode.

5 hours ago, J2_Jakob said:

There are other means of looking around, than a hat-switch. Mouse, TrackIR (quite expensive, https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/), do-it-yourself TrackIR alternative (very cheap, but you need to tinker with everything yourself), or ready-made TrackIR alternative like this: https://delanengineering.com/. (Somewhere in-between TrackIR and DIY money-wise, no need to tinker with anything, just plug&play).

Another option is https://edtrackerpro.mybigcommerce.com/head-tracking/ and is what I use combined with https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack. At least until the time comes that I make the change and get a better computer that can handle VR. It's similar to the devices Jakob mentions above but cheaper and there's no sensor to go on your monitor that needs to see some lights on your head. It's just the little box that you attach to your headset and computer no more. The downside being that it provides you with just 3DOF (pitch, yaw, roll) rather than 6DOF (left/right, forward/back, up/down, pitch, yaw, roll) but you can take those 3DOF and assign them to the same controls for pseudo 6DOF.

12 minutes ago, Knarley-Bob said:

That's the sad part. I didn't either. I just upgraded computers. Told the people what I wanted to do with it, bought  an Oculus rift goggle set and was ready to go. BUT, our internet connection evidently doesn't have the speed required. That determination comes from the people I bought my equipment from. Luckily they allowed me to return the Oculus, which I exchanged for our TV set that puked about the same time. On Flugpark none of the "F" keys work, there is no map, so if one doesn't have VR, well, you are cannon fodder.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the site by any means, sounds like the guys there have "Big Fun" and I wish them the best. If some day my internet comes out of the stone age, I can join in and get shot down by one of them "Old Dogs"👍

There is a map, it's just that its the full screen one that is accessed through "O" (think as rebound mine) rather than the mini map that's accessed through "M" (again think as rebound mine).

Your definitely not cannon fodder without VR and can do alright. http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/pilot/16/Oliver88/?tour=9. Have been flying in communication with others recently and that I would say is the single best change to make on the issue of ceasing to be cannon fodder. The blokes with VR for one have to twist and turn around to look behind them, and have been informed that spotting is worse for VR than for monitors (though some mods alleviate this a bit it seems).

Edited by Oliver88
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Knarley-Bob said:

On Flugpark none of the "F" keys work, there is no map, so if one doesn't have VR, well, you are cannon fodder.

S!

Yes, none of the F keys work for views.  The F keys are for external views of your plane, enemy planes, ground units and padlock. You can still use the look out of your cockpit views with the hat switch on the joy stick or the number pad keys. When Track IR came out (many,many years ago) expert servers and on line competition restricted outside views in order to create a more realistic environment and challenge.

There are now a variety of ways to do head tracking besides the official Track IR system. You may want to try that instead of VR.  It is easy to use. It feels very natural after a short time. Many people will share set up parameters to help you get the most out of it.

• Upvote 1

OK, question noobie style....

I have my set up, the lock on enemy, forward, and of course the dreaded "hat".  I do just fine playing on FC in the single player mode, why won't the same "Set up" work on a different server?

I have them set up so I know where they are on the joystick, and it provides me with enough to get by quite nicely. Why would a different server be so..... different? One would think going in with the set up you are comfortable with would be the way to go? IMHO of course.

It's not my server, I don't make the rules, and I'm cool with that...just trying to get my head wrapped around it. I'm no computer whiz, typing tis here is about as literate as I have gotten.😁

Regards,

Knarley

1 hour ago, Knarley-Bob said:

I have my set up, the lock on enemy, forward, and of course the dreaded "hat".  I do just fine playing on FC in the single player mode, why won't the same "Set up" work on a different server?

In the Flugpark server, since it is a 'full realism' server you cannot use the 'lock on enemy' option. Do you mean that with your hat switch, you can look around in single missions but not on the Flugpark? That would be strange.

28 minutes ago, J2_Drookasi said:

In the Flugpark server, since it is a 'full realism' server you cannot use the 'lock on enemy' option. Do you mean that with your hat switch, you can look around in single missions but not on the Flugpark? That would be strange.

No, I can use the hat switch on either, just not too good at it.

3 minutes ago, Knarley-Bob said:

No, I can use the hat switch on either, just not too good at it.

You only option then is either to learn how to use your mouse with the opposite of the stick hand for looking around, or to go for a cheap head tracking devise as the other posts indicated.

If you have a PC capable of running VR, you can run VR. It has nothing to do with internet speed. If you are able to fly on flugpark without ping issues, your internet is fine. Whoever told you that your internet speed was limiting your ability to use VR fed you a line of BS. It is possible your PC is having trouble handling VR though. 

In any case, no matter,  trackir is arguably the most competitive setup.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

If you have a PC capable of running VR, you can run VR. It has nothing to do with internet speed. If you are able to fly on flugpark without ping issues, your internet is fine. Whoever told you that your internet speed was limiting your ability to use VR fed you a line of BS. It is possible your PC is having trouble handling VR though. 

In any case, no matter,  trackir is arguably the most competitive setup.

I got the computer from Best Buy, I also bought the Oculus at the same time from them. They showed me a computer that would handle the VR, I went the next step up. Had THEM try to get the VR to work, was told that our internet is too slow. They let me return the Oculus, so they lost that sale. I doubt they would do that if they could get it to work.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I have had "Ping" issues on Combat Box, and keep loosing connections to several other servers. I live out in the sticks here.

KB

7 minutes ago, Knarley-Bob said:

I got the computer from Best Buy, I also bought the Oculus at the same time from them. They showed me a computer that would handle the VR, I went the next step up. Had THEM try to get the VR to work, was told that our internet is too slow. They let me return the Oculus, so they lost that sale. I doubt they would do that if they could get it to work.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I have had "Ping" issues on Combat Box, and keep loosing connections to several other servers. I live out in the sticks here.

KB

Did you try running VR in single-player?

13 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Did you try running VR in single-player?

The person here from "The Geek Squad" which are techs from "Best Buy" could not get it to work period. Like I said, I don't know anything more that what I have told you folks. We have "Hughes" which is a satellite internet service, and evidently it doesn't have the power or speed or whatever to work. She said it was a common problem with them. Seeing as how the service we had before was even worse, I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'm having a blast playing the way I am, so it's not that big of deal. Just wanted to "get out of the house" so to speak...

55 minutes ago, Knarley-Bob said:

The person here from "The Geek Squad" which are techs from "Best Buy" could not get it to work period. Like I said, I don't know anything more that what I have told you folks. We have "Hughes" which is a satellite internet service, and evidently it doesn't have the power or speed or whatever to work. She said it was a common problem with them. Seeing as how the service we had before was even worse, I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'm having a blast playing the way I am, so it's not that big of deal. Just wanted to "get out of the house" so to speak...

I gotcha, but I guarantee you that you were fed a line. Its possible that your tech did not have the patience to sit and wait for a software update to download for your oculus while he was there but that is the only thing that your internet speed would have to do with it. Trust me, I know. I also live in a rural area on sub-par point-to-point based internet. It's not ideal for gaming or modern internet in general... however,  if you can play on the server at all, your internet speed is sufficient, VR or not makes no difference. 

In any case, if you don't want to mess with that route again, I get it.

But, like I say, trackir is arguably more competitive for multiplayer flight sims anyhow. Maybe check it out instead.

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, Knarley-Bob said:

On Flugpark none of the "F" keys work, there is no map, so if one doesn't have VR, well, you are cannon fodder.

Ok you have a misunderstanding here - the F key views -

Those views are called the "padlock" and if we allowed everyone on the server to access to the padlock it would kill the realism, in that right now everyone must look from their plane to spot things.  If padlock were allowed bouncing another human player would be near impossible.

It has absolutely nothing to do with catering to VR.  Before VR was even a thing, many pilots bought a product called TrackIR which allows you to look around usng your head and a set of lasers tracking your direction of your face. But before that was available, pilots used either the mouse or keyboard hotkeys mapped to things like the num pad to look around from the cockpit.  The difficulty you're experiencing in flying and spotting at the same time is highly realistic (I'm also a pilot irl), and it's a skill that takes frankly years to develop (I have been doing this for half a decade and I'm still pretty terrible at it), so I understand your frustration.

Unfortunately we can't relax those settings because that highly realistic play style is what we're catering to.  I would suggest that if you would be interested in joining us for the camraderie and large crowds of planes in combat, jump in and start out by spending some time learning to crew the rear gun position for two seaters who are flying around on missions.  That way you only have to focus on spotting, and then when you get better at that, maybe you'd find it more comfortable to start trying to fly and spot at the same time.

J5_Matthias knows of what he speaks.

Track IR was a game changer for me, as were Rudder Pedals.

Come along and be a gunner, get on comms with TeamSpeak and Discord, both are used by pilots, it will be really good fun for you. 

Salute