Han

Developer Diary 239 - Discussion

1 minute ago, Han said:
Hello everybody,

It's February already and we continue to improve the project as a whole. In the next update, we plan to significantly improve the airframe damage calculations

And of course, we don't forget about the tank project. While Digital Forms studio creates the assault gun and the tank destroyer that are left, we added a long-requested feature - binoculars for the tank commanders. Other smaller, but nonetheless important improvements are on the way too. Take a look at the binoculars on these screenshots:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 7

Thanks Han. More good stuff.

Binoculars that do not give the usual egg timer shape -  well done sir!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

DM tweaks incoming! Wooo!

Incidentally D. M. Tweaks is the pseudonym I publish my erotica under.

Edited by Diggun
  • Haha 4

Very pleased to hear the DM revision is so close.

And the binoculars look great.

Edited by kendo

Very happy to hear about the binoculars, and as unreasonable mentioned great to have the correct view with one single circle. What magnification will they have?

Also DM rework is always welcome. I can't wait to get my hands on the next update.

This new DM would go with something new with visual dm representation to the current one or it's only the internal calculation?

I ask If we could have different visual implementation of hit been done to metal parts of the FC planes - not the same wood shavings when you hit engine cowling or pilot cabin or any other than wood material ? This is present in FC two-seaters  when you hit gunner scarf ring sparks are flying.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

DM improvements are really welcomed. May I ask if we get to use binoculars in some planes? did the crew carry them?

Damage model and AI improvements are extremely welcome, always welcome! Binoculars on top of that? Sounds like a wonderful update en route, thank you for your hard work!

Always a pleasure reading the DDs. 

The pace at which the team releases content and improvements is admirable.

Great stuff!

Might be one of the biggest update ever ! You guys are keeping it real !

Awesome ! :) 

55 minutes ago, Elem said:

Thanks for that. The only thing I had found about german WW II binoculars was, that they had binoculars with 5x and 6x magnification.

Maybe a stupid question, but what about russian tank commanders, they surely had binoculars, too, didn't they?

Great stuff :)

I'm looking forward to the improvements aswell as the binoculars :)

Great DD!

A Hip Hip Huray to  Digital Forms studio 

binoculars for the tank commanders-- outstanding!!  Nice sreenshoots!!

Edited by Yankee_One

2 hours ago, Diggun said:

DM tweaks incoming! Wooo!

Incidentally D. M. Tweaks is the pseudonym I publish my erotica under.

Pounded in the Turbocharger by the FW-190 - Part 1 of the Sensitive Jugs series by D.M. Tweaks

Also, DM update?

• Haha 3

But the real question...are we going to be able to hold the binoculars backwards and look at close by stuff and make it look really far away???

• Haha 19

Good news on the damage model and AI. This sim has grown out of all proportions to anything   I imagined it would become when we started here. 

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

But the real question...are we going to be able to hold the binoculars backwards and look at close by stuff and make it look really far away???

I use that tactic with a slight variation. When I see somebody chasing my tail I just hide under the cockpit. If I can't see him he is not there.

It's not as polished as see them far away but works.

• Haha 2

Hi!

Binoculars at last! Nice! :)

Just wondering if in the future  there will be more option for quick mission tankwise: having tanks with you and or selecting tanks agaisnt you for exemple?

Also, will there be careers for flying circus, because the Multi player looks prety empty and the lack of content such as career stops me from buying it, even if I'm quite interested.

Thanks!

Ps: Bodenplatte is amazing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

This new DM would go with something new with visual dm representation to the current one or it's only the internal calculation?

I ask If we could have different visual implementation of hit been done to metal parts of the FC planes - not the same wood shavings when you hit engine cowling or pilot cabin or any other than wood material ? This is present in FC two-seaters  when you hit gunner scarf ring sparks are flying.

My impression of most combat flight sims is that the visual representation of damage always seems to exceed the actual impact.  We get planes with huge holes, parts missing, smoking, and they are still flying aerobatics.  I would welcome a review of visuals such that they reflect the degree of incapacitation in the plane, which IMHO generally means  toning down of the visuals.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

5 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

My impression of most combat flight sims is that the visual representation of damage always seems to exceed the actual impact.  We get planes with huge holes, parts missing, smoking, and they are still flying aerobatics.  I would welcome a review of visuals such that they reflect the degree of incapacitation in the plane, which IMHO generally means  toning down of the visuals.  

For sure, agree to that,  I also would like to know  -> see that my flying wire is shot off , but you have to agree that ww1 era aeroplanes are not all build from wood , but in preset visual layer of DM when they are hit only one visual effect across all body  is dust and wooden derbits. I don't want radical change like canvas mapping or  it ripping and fluttering on the wind.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

31 minutes ago, Maty_fr said:

Just wondering if in the future  there will be more option for quick mission tankwise: having tanks with you and or selecting tanks agaisnt you for exemple?

That would be a very important feature I am  awaiting eagerly too!

• Upvote 1

The damage model improvements are exciting (I wonder if they will impact the effectiveness of rockets)?

However, I must say that the AI improvements are critical and it is truly exciting to see the constant ongoing work. The AI is the most important area for air combat, and the complexity/diversity of ground target templates is the most important thing for ground combat. Any improvement in either of these areas really enriches the game experience... much more so than a new aircraft does!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The binoculars news is only a seemingly small improvement; it is actually a big deal. The dichotomy between "have to look farther/have to get outside and risk getting killed" is half the challenge of being a tank commander.

A small dd with a huge impact. And the bonus all the GB's benefit from bos to bon. That is also huge.

The binoc are also great. TC is also constantly enhanced. Some of the inputs above are very good.

we plan to significantly improve the airframe damage calculations and the explosive and fragmentation damage calculations for all objects in the sim in general. More AI improvements are in the pipeline too - for instance, further improvements for the vertical maneuvering in a dogfight. We have found and fixed another possible culprit for the missing aircraft hit sounds in multiplayer.

Great news thank you