Sign in to follow this  
Charon

Drop tanks as weapons

When we get drop tanks, I hope we get to use them as weapons against ground targets:

Col Joe L Mason, Commanding Officer 352nd FG (p111):

We started the idea of dropping half-full wing tanks into the side of wooden freight cars and then setting the gas on fire. It works nice -- the tanks split open and spill gas all over the place, which is ignited very easily by the next guy in. This form of attack is only good for targets that will burn.

Col Donald J M Blakeslee, Commanding Officer 4th FG (p106):

I have tried dropping belly tanks filled with gasoline and then strafing them to set targets afire, but to my mind it is not too successful. The trouble is the tanks fall different ways -- some tumble backwards, while others go straight down. You can't count on them.

(p49)

Lt Kenneth McNeel encountered a train comprising 75 trucks south of Nuremberg. The locomotive escaped because it was in a ravine, but McNeel and Lt William Peel set four vans on fire using their drop tanks.

(p50)

The 77th FS, led by Maj Merle Gilbertson, attacked trains south-east of Nuremberg. A number of locomotives and trucks were destroyed before the pilots found a train laden with oil. They used the drop tank technique to douse the trucks with fuel and then attack with machine gun fire. Ten trucks were set on fire, and it is likely that the whole train of 30 wagons was destroyed.

All page numbers are from 'Down to Earth': Strafing Aces of the Eight Air Force, by William Hess.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Charon said:

When we get drop tanks, I hope we get to use them as weapons against ground targets:

Not going to happen.

When I saw this threadI read it as drop "tanks" as weapons. Now I am disappointed he meant "drop tanks"

So instead, can we please drop "tanks" as weapons? I would love to drop a Sherman tank right on someones ass.

Edited by [TLC]YIPPEE
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/1/2020 at 10:37 PM, Charon said:

Col Joe L Mason, Commanding Officer 352nd FG (p111):

Col Donald J M Blakeslee, Commanding Officer 4th FG (p106):

(p49)

(p50)

All page numbers are from 'Down to Earth': Strafing Aces of the Eight Air Force, by William Hess.

Before that I would like to have gasoline barrels realistic destruction, oh and ammo dump too.

Effective or not, they were used in such a fashion. Obviously with varying degrees of success. At a minimum I hope the tanks are damageable. I'd like to light the tanks up with gunfire when catching an enemy unaware while carrying them.

18 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Not going to happen.

Any reason why not?

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Any reason why not?

Because there are at lest 4 game mechanics involved there that we do not currently have in the sim. (think about it) :)

I think the mechanics involved in just getting drop tanks to work as intended will be quite enough for the Devs.

Realistically modeling fluid behavior would be hard, obviously, but it seems like it could be faked easily enough by creating a big invisible box object on the ground where the tank hits (with parameters determined by velocity and fuel load). That object can have a simple DM like all other ground assets. When shot it damages anything it overlaps with, disappears, and is replaced by a fire object (already in the sim). It doesn't need to spread, and it doesn't need to stick to vehicles. Not perfect, but good enough to give players a sense of how the tanks were used in real life.

I was thinking jeteson the tanks to hit someone on your 6

On 2/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, Gambit21 said:

Because there are at lest 4 game mechanics involved there that we do not currently have in the sim. (think about it) :)

I think the mechanics involved in just getting drop tanks to work as intended will be quite enough for the Devs.

True. It may be possible to give them some kinetic impact damage though... perhaps enough to suppress an open anti-aircraft gun 😄

I remember in Il-2 1946 I was able to create a mod using default coding which basically dropped a flaming 3d object onto a road... and it would actually sit on the road and damage vehicles that drove into it. It was for an unreleased Po-2/U-2 VOM mod. Anyway, the point is that sometimes it is surprising what one can do with small tweaks to existing code ...programming is inherently unpredictable (usually in a bad way, sometimes in a fortuitous way)!

On 2/9/2020 at 12:42 AM, [TLC]YIPPEE said:

When I saw this threadI read it as drop "tanks" as weapons. Now I am disappointed he meant "drop tanks"

So instead, can we please drop "tanks" as weapons? I would love to drop a Sherman tank right on someones ass.

I like ie!

Lets just go really crazy and make a mechanic where you can drop a Sherman on somebody, and inside the sherman is another player who can ride the tank all the way to the ground. Like, full-on Dr. Strangelove. Give him a cowboy hat for good measure.

Extra bonus points if the gunner gets off a couple HE rounds on the way down.

Look at these camera guns films of P-51 Ds of 362nd FS 357th FG on 01/01/1945 :

While 0.50 straffing, drop tanks (looking like 108 Gallon type ?) are dropped on a train...and miss their target ! Look attentively at the right of the screen, under the "Pathé" logo.

-  first by 2nd LT Cheever at approximatively 2'05".

- another one by 2nd LT Dunn at 2'17".

• Upvote 1