Victory205

Atlantic Carrier Ops Possible?

Just read Jason’s missive on the lack of data on Japanese aircraft beyond the Zero as being a significant barrier to any sort of reasonable Pacific theater. Any thoughts to perhaps an Atlantic theater carrier in the Med or off of the coast of France? I have little familiarity with WWII British carrier ops, but it might be a way to get some Allied tailhookers for which there is good data into action in due course.

• Like 1

The best possibility in my estimation is surrounding the Battle of Sicily (Operation Husky). The HMS Indomitable was present (until hit by a torpedo off a Ju88 or a SM.79) with Seafires and Albacore bombers.

Battle of Sicily in general offers lots of possibility and carrier ops would something of a bonus - not being the central part of the operation. Maybe others have some better ideas too.

• Upvote 3

Il-2 Battle of the Fjord about Operation Tungsten confirmed? :rolleyes:

Not that I wouldn't actually buy it as soon as it is announced... :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

whatever TeamFusion will do with the CoD engine.....a „Battle of Sicily“ for BoX would be great.

Not to forgett we could have some other axis fighters than the typical 109/190 crowd.

A small Norwegian battle around the Tirpitz would be nice - with the RN carriers , but  what axis planes ( new ones i mean) .........

• Like 2

It seems to me that aircraft carriers and American planes also present in the Pacific, were engaged around Sicily and during the Italian campaign.

This period would be an excellent choice for a logical development of our favorite sim.

• Upvote 1

Battle of Italy would be an excellent choice to add to the West front

14 minutes ago, -IRRE-Axurit said:

It seems to me that aircraft carriers and American planes also present in the Pacific, were engaged around Sicily and during the Italian campaign.

This period would be an excellent choice for a logical development of our favorite sim.

Agree completely:salute:

• Upvote 1

Battle of Sicily (including Malta) would be the perfect choice after Normandy. Perfect for introducing carriers and naval operations. Martlets and Seafires, Maccies and torpedos....a lot of possibilities for expansions, collectors or campagnes and new tech. Wold love to see that.

Lots of very interesting aircraft... many which we haven't seen before... and an ability to develop carrier technology ahead of any pacific project... I've definitely thought about it.

If they could manage the performance hit of adding the Bismark or the Scharnhorst-class (i.e. Channel Dash) and a Swordfish it might be attractive to some buyers. Heck, even a Firefly or Skua could have a good opponent now that we have the Ju-88C6.

Adding the Arado Ar-196 would give an aircraft to operate off the German capital ships and it could also be used in the Kuban map. The British were also operating Avengers out of southern England by 1944-1945.

However, I do wonder if it would make back the money invested quickly enough for the parent company. It would have a decided lack of high performance fighters (The Martlet isn't particularly high performance, so the Seafire would be the best available - and hardly competitive with some of the current fighters in multiplayer). Probably the best we can hope for is that TFS 5.0 Tobruk does well, and that they decide to do Malta (with carrier ops) afterwards... and maybe do Italy (& Taranto) after that... at which point there might be enough demonstrated interest that the FAA could be partly modeled in BoX.

• Upvote 1

For a start they could add ju88 torpedo variant for BoN and later expand to PTO or MTO with carriers.

There is at least 2.5 years in front of us before BoN release and in that timeframe a lot of things can change regarding missing documentation.

What limits DLCs is does it have 190 or 109 that was used over it and that is not in game already. If it has then its open as posibility. Its easy to get 5 allied airplanes but on axis its problem. So after late east front, only posibility is something in italy in 43 where you still can get fw190a4 and ju88A17 in planset with other italian stuff.

8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The best possibility in my estimation is surrounding the Battle of Sicily (Operation Husky). The HMS Indomitable was present (until hit by a torpedo off a Ju88 or a SM.79) with Seafires and Albacore bombers.

Battle of Sicily in general offers lots of possibility and carrier ops would something of a bonus - not being the central part of the operation. Maybe others have some better ideas too.

Battle of Italy/Malta/Siciliy would be an absolute dream of an expansion... Seafires, C205s... Warhawks, Early Mustangs..  G50s... CR42's... Swordfish! Sadly it'd be one-sided carrier ops, but still loads of fun. I would love to see a bigger focus on anti-shipping... that's the one thing I truly miss in the career. Here's hoping for Normandy but I'm not aware of much anti shipping operations in the lead up to (and post) invasion... I think most of the naval losses were due to naval defenses along the shore. 

Maybe in  1-2 years. ...we will now if Italy  will be in the Devs planning map !!

Edited by ITAF_Rani

Atlantic Carrier Ops with Swordfish, Sunderland, Fw-200, etc. seems feasible. The King George V BB, Illustrious Class Carriers, HMS Dorsetshire, and others were used in the Atlantic, some at D-Day, and the Pacific. However, doing Malta, and Italy from 1943-45 would probably would happen in IL-2 GBs later on, like after Pacific.

• Upvote 1

Norway would also give the opportunity for a seldom seen Bf 109 version, the T2

F0hX2B.jpg

Well, at least it is a very different 109. 

I'm kind of imagining you as a used-car salesman right now.

"That car is a turd, however, it's a very different kind of turd!"  🤣

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

If we had a Norway map it would make Operation Leader possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Leader

USS Ranger with her compliment of SBDs and F4Fs attacking German shipping at anchor.  Limited in scope, but in reality so are most carrier engagements.

jExz1Q.jpg

Thanks! Never knew that a US Navy aircraft carrier operated in the Atlantic / North Sea!

as nice these dreams are......honestly i doubt anything of it will come.

Even „Battle of Sicily“ would be damn hot IMHO

My personal guess for a next BoX scenario is a late war easternfront one. Our russian friends want fly their Yak-9U, Yak-3 and La-7 for sure.

So most probably we will also see some more 109/190s - i guess a 190A-9 and 109G-10.

13 hours ago, Victory205 said:

Just read Jason’s missive on the lack of data on Japanese aircraft beyond the Zero as being a significant barrier to any sort of reasonable Pacific theater. Any thoughts to perhaps an Atlantic theater carrier in the Med or off of the coast of France? I have little familiarity with WWII British carrier ops, but it might be a way to get some Allied tailhookers for which there is good data into action in due course.

They would need a new engine for that. So you better forget about it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

They would need a new engine for that. So you better forget about it.

Where did you here that? Last I checked there engine is proprietary, and we know they are actively developing it so this argument that they need a new engine never made sense to me.

3 minutes ago, ShadowStalker887 said:

Where did you here that? Last I checked there engine is proprietary, and we know they are actively developing it so this argument that they need a new engine never made sense to me.

Look at the limits of this engine and you can answer your question by yourself. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Look at the limits of this engine and you can answer your question by yourself. 

10km view limit got lifted, 40km fog got removed, they added jet engines and tanks, the AI is getting reworked... I'm pretty sure they can rework stuff when they get to it. Just a question of time and money

• Upvote 1

Just now, =621=Samikatz said:

Just a question of time and money

There you have it.

23 minutes ago, sevenless said:

There you have it.

Which is still a far cry from needing a new engine and you still haven't posted any proof of supposed engine limits.

1 minute ago, ShadowStalker887 said:

Which is still a far cry from needing a new engine and you still haven't posted any proof of supposed engine limits.

Why should I, because you asked? Nope.

2 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Why should I, because you asked? Nope.

When you are making a claim about something it's generally considered good form to back up your own arguments, otherwise people will just dismiss ya. Burden of proof and all

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

A Norway/ Northern Sea map would also enable Banff Strike Wing operations.

Banff to Stavanger only 300+ miles...at a nominal cruise of 240 mph...4 miles a minute...only 75 minutes ONE way. 

239824295_BanfftoStavanger.jpg.777877d9ade938522be1f78b459974ee.jpg

But those would be 75 fun filled minutes in a Mosquito. ;)

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 1

OK folks that think the current game engine is capable for carrier ops...

Try putting 16 multi-crew AI aircraft, 16 AI fighters, and multiple player controlled aircraft on one map, with realistic numbers of ground assets, flak, moving vehicles, and even a modicum of clouds, and get back to me on how well, and for how long it runs.

We are at the absolute limit of what this game can do right now.  It is at it's point where we will only see diminishing returns for even the most elaborate optimizing. 

It's a wonderful sim, but nothing lasts forever, particularly in a world where the customer base demands more and better everything, and want's it yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

A lot of people thought it impossible for this "engine' to extend view distance to 150km and still have playable frame rate, same goes for 10k bubble 

Defered rendering may well open up some big recourse savings.. I cannot say. 

But  for sure it has been proved several times that updates to the engine have produced reaults that were perceived as previously not possible, there was recently a change to multithreading usage for certain tasks which could bring huge impact if expanded further, 

Was the update to 64 bit and DX11 an update or a 'new engine'? Those updates were certainly game changing on my previous system

DX12 /Vulkan new rendering and more multithreading of AI and other processes could yield huge improvement for new features 

Jason has said before that an iterative approach is safer so expect updates, rather than people always saying the game engine is finished and needs changing and we should expect a 'new one' 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Upvote 3

"DX12 /Vulkan new rendering and more multithreading of AI and other processes could yield huge improvement for new features "

This, cause its a peace of software, ever evolving by nature. Dont see why carrier ops should not possible one day (or heavys). The only limiting factor is a lack of skilled people and money.

Edited by cellinsky
  • Upvote 2

On 2/1/2020 at 11:19 AM, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

A small Norwegian battle around the Tirpitz would be nice - with the RN carriers , but  what axis planes ( new ones i mean) .........

Depending on the timeframe and what part of Norway is chosen... A few Bf 109 G14/AS were in Norway to intercept Mosquitos. Then there are Ju 188s, and a number of sea planes, recces and long range planes. It could be done, but it is difficult. Might have been easier had BoN not introduced the G6 (late) and the A6...

The Allied side offers a really interesting selection though.

20 hours ago, busdriver said:

Banff to Stavanger only 300+ miles...at a nominal cruise of 240 mph...4 miles a minute...only 75 minutes ONE way. 

239824295_BanfftoStavanger.jpg.777877d9ade938522be1f78b459974ee.jpg

But those would be 75 fun filled minutes in a Mosquito. ;)

not to forget beaufighters

• Like 1