Sign in to follow this  
Haza

Spit Flaps

Are we ever going to see the flap issue resolved as it is becoming tiresome watching Spits chase down aircraft with full flaps and climb with little effort! Just beginning to think that the FMs are an after thought!

Regards

• Upvote 1

Last night we had the issue demonstrated also with the P47 ...

The allied pilot himself was shocked at what he could do... 😂😂  basically looked like a RC model doing stationary flight with the plane hanging by the prop... low speed, high AOA, tight turns, etc... crazy stuff...

I think this need to be addressed as other things... something's wrong with these planes drag/lift ratio....

• Upvote 1

Great to see that more than a year after I documented these issues others share my frustration.

1 hour ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

Great to see that more than a year after I documented these issues others share my frustration.

It's a pity because the issues you approached the subject very thoroughly.

I still dream of the day the Devs announce they finally found the culprit for these and other Flight and Systems modelling quirks...

Sometimes I get away from IL2 for a good while, even uninstall it... But then after another while I am back at it - after all there's still something special about this game, but heck, these bugs are really irritating...

11 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Is this also why it seems nearly-impossible to out turn a 110? 

Exactly! I never fly it, but I flew more P-51 lately, and boy was I surprised at the 110's turning ability on flaps.

S!

The 110 can turn with flaps for a short time. After that it is a sitting duck with no E left to maneuver properly and with the rather medicore acceleration building it up again is not done in a whim. I never use flaps in combat in the 109 or 110, even less in the 190. Speed is E and E is life. The outright stupendous almost non-penalizing flap abuse and the anomalies coming with it should be gone..Fact is some planes had settings for combat flaps and could and did use them. Other planes again missed them and using flaps would put you in a high risk of damage and/or in a bad situation with low E due the drag they cause. 

Spit flaps do two things: once you pop them at ~110 mph, they will straighten out the aircrafts attitude to what is was >150 mph. You have to hold her then on the stick (followed by re-trim) for the nose going down too far. The second thing is it reduces your stall speed a bit.

I‘m not really sure how much of a breaking effect they have, but the aircraft has a rather steep approach, more like you do with sail planes rather than a Cessna. The nose stays below the horizon until you settle her.

Bottom line is, flaps take away alpha in the Spit as you‘d fly her in real life. Not lowering the flaps will keep your nose higher. The prop wash will increase Clmax such that you‘d certainly can pull her up steeply before losing her. Lowering flaps I can only think of a measure for not overtaking a really, really slow aircraft.